First signing disaster

Thank you for saying that! Us new LSA need positive feed back, I myself have been doing great with counter offering now I get better pay. My first 2 signings were low and very far but the experience was priceless.

2 Likes

Lia, hang in there, you will have difficult clients like that. One of the main problems (500 signings) is the middleman, signing agency that sent you there. They are NEVER, RARELY available to be called with issues we have in the field, NOR is the Lender/Loan agent available. Horrible at best help while in the field. I would have said to myself (and quite possibly to he/she) “Okay, we don’t have a signing, you may contact your lender to agree on the content of the documents. Thank you for your time.” It is NOT your job to have to argue with her, cajole them, whatever. That is the Lender/Loaner’s job. Period. So often the borrowers haven’t seen a set of docs and been able to review with their borrower, because OF COURSE, the docs were just sent to you in final like about an hour or two before the closing. Worked so much better prior to middle-man, “signing agencies”… gimme a break.

1 Like

And besides, AS A NOTARY PUBLIC, YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT IT IS ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO GIVE HER ANY KIND OF OPINION OR ADVICE THAT MAY BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE. You have taken an Oath that you will not do that, will not go there. Finesse.

Oh, come on, I’ve been doing this 10 years, over 500 signings, and it IS DIFFERENT now. Instead of maybe 150 or so Notaries to cover the area, there are now at least 500, most are newbies taking the lowball from the newly created middleman. The market is FLOODED with people wanting to become a signing agent in an already flooded business. Don’t make me laugh - oh, actually, I am chuckling at your innocence… but nice words of encouragement…

1 Like

amazing tysm! I was thinking the same thing if its gonna make money while i dont have any signings then its probably worth it to become certified. Yes i would love his info if you wouldnt mind. mobilenotaryservice.nj@gmail.com

good advice and received. I’m getting so much good advice from seasoned notaries like yourself that Its starting to become more and more clear to me. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Wow everything about this thread made me feel better. So much great advice I am also in New Jersey (South) and a newbie. I am so scared to take my first assignment, I have gotten offers but nothing during a time I can accept. I am doing this part-time. Good Luck Lia. What part of jersey are you in?

1 Like

Hi Amber
Im in middlesex county now but I grew up in SJ. First signing wasnt as nerve racking going in as a lot of LSA describe. The whole way there all I kept reminding myself that I was carefully and prayfully prepared. The signers were nice enough, but the wife kept arguing with the husband about wording in the documents. He kept trying to get the tc on the phone and couldnt reach anyone which made it awkward and I didnt know how to handle it. Having this forum and seasoned LSA’s advise me on how I should have handled it has helped so much. My next signing was a complete dream and he was an 84 yr old man, you would think he would have been the nightmare but he was an absolute dream. The third signing was horrific as you will see in my previous posts and I have another today. Dont be scared to take your first assignment, If nothing else, even if its a disaster, you will have experience and a good story to tell. Keep in touch k

1 Like

OMG I’m sorry that happened to you, I praise your patience in the buisness you will come across some characters believe me Ive had some doozies. But over all most people are nice and mostly nervous, you will see as time goes by.

There’s 1 company that has been sending offers starting at $40 basic rate. $45 refinance. Usually the location is about 80 miles round-trip. Believe it or not, some agents will take it. It will not be me. Consider your time, paper, laser ink, pay and distance. Does it make economical sense to accept that offer. Once companies know that you’ll take it, they will have offers for you all the time.

Thanks for your reply. With NNA training, it is prohbited to send the borrowers a copy via email from the LSA, I’m not sure if it varies from state to state, but in NJ thats a big NO NO

3 Likes

I don’t always agree with NNA “procedure” policies - but it IS Standard Operating Procedure via lender rules, among others, that an identical copy of the signing package must be given to the signers at the table - not via email or thumb drive. Further, in the case of a refi - not providing a copy of that package can result in a RESPA violation as they are not given their two copies of the NORTC at the conclusion of the signing.

3 Likes

Don’t work with closing exchange. They will lowball you and treat you terribly. One of the worst out there. I have been in the business for 30 years

4 Likes

Emailing them is a great idea. Have you had any pushback on that? Most people I work with require you to print out a 2nd copy… but I guess they wouldn’t know if I did or not. Emailing is easier, more convenient, and saves money/paper/time!

I always ask $150 and $175 for reverse. partial $100. They are quite nice

1 Like

Wow, and the companies you’re working with are ok with you emailing docs to their clients? The ones I work with would fire me if I do that. It’s a no no for all companies I thought!

I would never do that, not even if the borrowers ask to email to them. I wouldn’t even go there unless instructed by title co

5 Likes

Banks, loan companies, etc etc, are not my charities. I repeat, they are not charities. Encouraging someone to continue to operate in the red with low fees is a disaster. Why donate time and money to them? Now here is the TRUTH. When newbies are encouraged to take low fees until they get experience that is a flat out joke. When the newbies get experience (if they can afford to work in the red) there will be new newbies who are told to work for low fees until they get experience. It’s a never ending circle.

3 Likes

Many lenders, and some states, require you provide them with a hard copy at the time of the signing. Make certain you’re doing things according to instructions and your State’s laws.

4 Likes

Glenn, Thanks for your honesty regarding this business. We’re going to see a wash out of new NSAs who will run out of cash before they earn a profit.

3 Likes

Be careful of giving this advice. Some States require a hard copy be given to the borrower; its not yours or the borrower’s choice. In Texas if you don’t follow the law the loan is voided.

1 Like