Florida Notary in Serious Trouble

A very good friend of mine (daughter of boyfriend in this story)is going after a Florida Notary ( and others) for improper Notarization.

Short story…

Girlfriend draws up will she found on internet. Girlfriend forge’s signature. (Boyfriend cannot write or speak or verbalize his own intentions)
Girlfriend wills all assets and cash to herself.
Girlfriend calls Notary who Notarizes document along with two witnesses.
Notary failed to communicate directly with boyfriend ( who is almost comatose only meets with girlfriend)
Notary had Girlfriend sign journal as POA without seeing or verifying POA documents.
Notary did not have signature or verification of any kind of boyfriend.
Boyfriend passes away, Girlfriend tries to claim assets.

Family now in court Subpoenaing record books, documents and calling in all parties involved in this illegal transaction.

I swear I didn’t make this up… when she told me all this ( more details of course) I had to pour myself a drink and spill some on the ground for the Notary who is about to lose their license and killed her career.

12 Likes

Think she’ll be losing more than just her license.

6 Likes

Wow. Wow.Wowwwww smh

1 Like

Yes I am so sorry for that Notary. they are also looking in filing criminal charges for the girlfriend.

3 Likes

This is so sad. All parties are at fault and the notary deserves to be prosecuted. This is what happens when notaries think they are to just stamp and go. They fail to take their oath of office seriously :disappointed:

6 Likes

This notary is a criminal. I would save my sympathy for someone who deserves it. The notary was complicit in a fraud and does not know the job or didn’t care enough to stop this from happening.

4 Likes

This is so wrong on so many levels…and yes this notary is criminally negligent…but want to point out when a POA signing here in FL we are not required to see or verify the POA. We are to just take their word for it (not the best practice but us verifying the validity of a POA, I’m guessing, is considered UPL here).

Also important here is the powers of an attorney-in-fact - and here in FL an AIF is not authorized to execute a new will OR alter an existing will

These little nuances are why it’s so important for a notary to know the laws of their respective state - and not just the notary regulations. This all could have been avoided…and I pray the family gets their justice in this. This notary is a blight on our profession.

7 Likes

LOL–Someone’s going to the big house soon!

3 Likes

I quit my NSA job!!!

Why you messing with me…

1 Like

Sorry, I am letting you know that I quit!

You know what @VIPnotaryCO well “I QUIT TOO”…

1 Like

You gotta do what you gotta do! Now you can finish writing that 90 days NSA book!

1 Like

You have some skillllllllzzzz there Ms. Lady…lol

1 Like

2 Likes

Ahhh…I have another vision….

Hopefully the Notary will go to jail for at least 6 months!

1 Like

OMG… I am embarrassed to read this as a NSA who’s worked extremely hard to build my business on merit, professionalism, integrity and honesty! I won’t even print DL, ID’s anywhere except my home office… I complete multiple Fl sellers using my own daughter as a second witness on deeds unless the borrower has one and always by the book, per laws in my state (AL)… I cannot believe this was done without the promise of a kickback… in other words I bet the notary, witness and the “girlfriend” all were in on it… It’s 100% obvious and I hope the full extent of the law is put into each involved! Shame on them mostly fir taking advantage on this poor man on his death bed and after… Thank goodness for his family!! Everything I’ve said is based only on if the information I read is true…
Jody P (AL) NSA and more

6 Likes

Oh I promise you it is a million percent true…

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks for sharing this story. It never ceases to amaze me that many notaries don’t know what they are doing OR commit fraud knowingly or unknowingly.

1 Like