Florida Notary in Serious Trouble

Sorry for the confusion. I asked for the POA on file because I did not know this person and if the POA she presented was legit, so I compared the two. I’m sure I went beyond the call of duty but it’s my commission and I needed verification since the sister had Alzheimer’s. I just wanted to make sure this was not a fraud/scam since Alzheimer’s was involved.

2 Likes

In AZ this is guidelines they have written

POWER OF ATTORNEY ⧫ If an individual claims to have Power of Attorney (POA) for another and presents a document for notarization in which the individual wants to sign on behalf of the person whose POA he or she claims to have, it is suggested that the notary request to see a copy of the POA. Verify that the POA grants the authority to execute the type of document that is being presented for notarization. The signer is required to present satisfactory evidence of identity confirming that he or she is the individual he or she claims to be. The individual should then sign his or her name. Next to that, he or she should print of (name of individual whose POA he or she has). ” “ signing on behalf RECORD THE TRANSACTION: A journal entry must be made conveying who the signer was and on whose behalf he or she was signing. ⧫

Thank you @monicaproctor…here in FL we are not required to see the POA - we are to take their word for it. Do I agree with this? No, I don’t, but that’s how it is here and if I were to ask it would be beyond the scope of my duties and authority - although I can understand you’re taking the extra precautions.

Ok, So this is a one or a two bit notary, huh .

NOT A Loan Signing Agent ( A big difference)
I Also see loan signing notaries walk in with a stamp and NO journal to record acts. Not a good practice.

Do you know how many notaries in each state. MORE THAT 100,000 and growing. The state give them out like Halloween candy. Before commission each notary is swore an oath. Some just don’t take that oath serious enough. This one was criminally complicit or just plain stoned/stupid/ or both while doing this “notorious” act !!
There are lots of such one & two bit and shady notaries. or NOTRIOUS ??

1 Like

Wow. Very interesting

It’s not up to the notary in Florida to verify or even see the PoA. Florida notaries are only responsible to verify the identification of the signer not capacity. Now I don’t know about other states of course.

I’m well aware of that…in fact I posted such in another response here. The post you responded to was replying to the question “how was the notary at fault?”