FRAUD! Scam Debt consolidation - Milton Ortiz 404-595-9103

Yesterday, I found myself in a rather concerning situation. It all began with a phone call offering a 7-page signing for a supposed debt consolidation. However, when I finally laid eyes on the documents, I quickly realized something was amiss. Instead of debt consolidation papers, what I held in my hands were forms for information review, information authorization, and credit card authorization, all totaling a staggering $8,491.00. There was not a single piece of documentation pertaining to the promised debt consolidation. My instincts immediately raised alarm bells.

I proceeded to the signing appointment, where I encountered an elderly couple. The woman appeared highly agitated. As she delved into the paperwork, a barrage of questions arose, prompting her to call “Experian,” the company that had purportedly been assisting her with debt consolidation. While the wife conversed with a loan officer over the phone (who, it’s worth noting, had a foreign accent, a simple observation), her husband took it upon himself to inform me about their activities. However, the wife swiftly admonished him, insisting that he remain silent and cease any interaction with me.

Throughout the signing process, the loan officer remained on the line and eventually requested that I send pictures of the documents immediately. At this point, my suspicion grew more pronounced. There were no accompanying documents explaining the mechanics of the debt consolidation, and none of the paperwork bore the name “Experian.” My phone signal was subpar, necessitating that I send the documents after I had left.

To add to the growing strangeness, the loan officer informed the wife that he would call her back once I had departed. This struck me as highly unusual. Consequently, I decided to inquire about the nature of these papers and the woman’s intentions. She visibly bristled at my question, but I reassured her that my intent was not to pry but rather to address my deepening concerns about the transaction. It was then that her husband intervened, disclosing that “Experian” had explicitly instructed her not to divulge any information about their actions.

Fearing for her financial security and well-being, I suggested that she contact her credit card company. She had already provided them with three credit card numbers, along with expiration dates, CVC numbers, her Social Security number, and a plethora of other personal details. We successfully deactivated the first credit card over the phone, and she and her husband left to visit the bank and shut down the remaining credit cards.

Upon my return home, I promptly contacted my local police department to report the incident. I implore everyone to remain vigilant, especially when dealing with loan consolidations, and particularly when elderly individuals are involved. Trust your instincts, and if something feels off, don’t hesitate to seek help. I also reached out to the AARP fraud line, who confirmed my suspicions - this was indeed a fraudulent scheme. Please, let this be a stark reminder to stay vigilant and watch out for one another.

14 Likes

You make me proud to be a Notary! Thank you for taking all the actions you did. Am sure it saved their bacon (& likely yours, too). Can you give us all more details on exactly how you got hired for this? Hope it wasn’t thru a Signing Service or platform–sounds like it wasn’t.
What was the hiring party’s name, address…did they even give those details?

3 Likes

Milton Ortiz

404-595-9103

Notary Signings Department

Prime Notary Services Is a legitimate company just a name they are using!

1 Like

Oh, boy. What gall! Googling Prime Notary Services turns up just a notary in FL…a lady.
But the area code is for Georgia–an attorney-only state. Googling Milton Ortiz turns up the same info/scam from last June on another forum. And, of course, Experian doesn’t do loans of any kind. What a total clusterfluff!

2 Likes

It seems you have the instincts to make a good Financial Crimes Investigator. You may have stopped a felony crime against this couple. This retired detective is proud of you.

3 Likes

My impression is that the vast majority of requests made out of the clear blue sky to notaries related to debt consolidation or credit counseling are either outright scams or seriously unfair to the customer. So when I was doing signings I always refused them.

Yes, there are legitimate not-for-profit credit counseling services. But the one in my state meets with customers in their offices and doesn’t use independent notaries.

2 Likes

I don’t think I will refuse them. I’m going to do research and make sure they are not a scam so I can let the signers know. I don’t want them to get passed over to another notary that doesn’t care or know what to look for.

2 Likes

I would love to do this. I don’t know where to begin. I love to mess with scammers. I have even been blocked by scammers by calling them back. Once I almost fell for a scam and they gave me the login to an account so I could transfer money. I spent an hour messing up there account. It was so satisfying. I looked in to a group called Scammer Payback where hackers hack scammers. This would be my dream job.

3 Likes

I was working for a major metropolitan PD. The IRS has openings you could apply for. There’s the Federal Trade Commission.

Thanks for posting this! Yes, he contacted me about 3 weeks ago, said he would pay in 48 hours and found me on Snapdocs. He is a crook. Another Florida notary got taken and he never paid a notary in Georgia. He needs to get put away.

3 Likes

Good job and great that you listened to your inner voice. Fraud prevention is definitely one of our duties, especially for the elderly. I would have reported the matter to The U.S. Department of Justice’s National Elder Fraud Hotline (833-372-8311).

4 Likes

I was scammed by the same person. I took my customer to the bank and got her account and bank card changed. She was an elderly lady. I didn’t care about my fee. I also sent a letter to Attorney General for Nevada as well as the Secretary of State with all of the contact information I had on him, the attorney he provided and the USA Legal email address they provided. Here is all the contact information that was provided to me during my closing with them on July 3, 2023! He also TRIED to defraud my customer out of a lot of money doing a debt consolidation of 3 credit cards. He was taking a total of $450 a month from this customer. Thank goodness I took her to the bank as he had already drafted 3 payments from her account. The bank did refund all of her money. She asked “what about me” I told her I could live without my fee. It is the defrauding of good people I couldn’t live with. For anyone that encounter this CRIMINAL…here is the information he provided me during my loan interaction:

On Mon, Jul 3, 2023 at 3:01 PM Prime Notary <speedynotarysignings@gmail.com> wrote:

Business Address:
304 S Jones Blvd. #3011 Las vegas, NV 89107
Business Contact Name:
Law Office of James Howard
855-203-9244

Rep: Milton Ortiz
404-595-9103
Billing email address:
speedynotarysignings@gmail.com
Po Box 271688
https://www.usalegalgroups.com
Milton Ortiz
404-595-9103
Prime Notary Services

2 Likes

I won’t do those anymore. I think i did 4. First, they wanted you to take a class and present yourself as a paralegal. Nope. Then they are ripoffs with someone paying them 10k to get rid of 13k in debt. Credit is still messed up. Then if they don’t sign, the salesman calls you and rips you a new one. Total bad and, in my opinion predatory. Big NO.

1 Like

I had the same thing happen last month. It came from Prestige Notaries- whom I have worked with many times in the past. I usually get debt negotiation contracts from NPN. (National Paralegal Network)
This was for CLEARSKY FINANCIAL but there were no names, addresses, phone numbers or account numbers on the documents and the elderly woman was being charged $7K on her credit card. I went in very skeptical. I read the contract with her and stressed that it was for EDUCATION only. She said it was a three-part series and this is the first part, the second part is for them to consolidate all of her bills. Further questions revealed she was contacted the day before and was told the man on the phone was from American Express and someone was opening an account in her name out of TX. They had her card info and last four of her social. Then they transferred her to a “Supervisor” who then went thru this “process” to protect her.
I informed her I thought she was being scammed and that I would NOT execute the documents or notarize the documents for her. I told her she should look into it a little more, and if it was legitimate- then I would return at no cost and notarize the documents. When we googled the number provided, it was for a construction company. Google search on the company shows they are a financial advisory group out of FL. I told her to call American Express with the number on her credit card. When she called, she was told no one had opened an account. They cancelled her card and set up a fraud alert. I gave her the three numbers to the credit reporting agencies and told her to put a FREEZE on her accounts and to call all of her other credit card companies. The owner of Prestige Notaries contacted me after and was mortified that this slipped by her. She says they have been doing business with this entity since May and they owed her over $2K as of that date. THIS means other notaries have completed these types of documents. I wish that this could be flagged by the NNA to ALL notaries to be aware.

1 Like

Way to go, girl! You did the right thing for the lady and I’m also very gratified that you let the SS --and your fellow notaries know about this. Thank you!

3 Likes

Be careful with debt consolidation companies. I know there is one out there that has you tell the debtors that you work for the consolidation company. Not a good move for a Notary. If there’s anything in the company’s script (they usually give you a script to work from) that is not the truth, then pass it up. I once took a debt consolidation assignment, and after reading the paperwork I gave it back. There were too many misleading statements.

I had a similar situation. Only 3 pages and my signer 83 years of age could not tell me what she was doing, why she was signing the docs. She was not even able to tell me what was going on and the phone rang 50 times pushing her to sign, pushing me to sign. Her ID was 3 years expired and I apologized that I could not legally sign her. She called me an hour later completely distraught that I had to come back and sign her. This was pure and simple elder abuse. The signing company didn’t even seem to care. It was vary alarming. We have the right to refuse to sign someone that is being put under duress so even without an expired ID I was not signing her.

3 Likes

This is the service that I dealt with that sent me to that poor elderly lady. It was awful how they hounded her. Why I refused. FLAT DURESS

I got of these in July…just horrible. :frowning: Of course never got paid either for my print and trip because I didn’t question the docs until I sat with signer…then the phone went crazy, non stop and she was under duress. REFUSED

1 Like

I would NOT of continued forward ounce I saw the paper work. For the small fee they were going to pay, you put this elderly couple in to a fraudulent position. I hope they don’t come back to sue you. As Notaries we can be held responsible, that is why we have E & O insurance. Please in the future make sure a job is legit. Sorry I do not mean to sound callous, but be CATIUOS.