FYI - HEADS UP SIGNING AGENTS! Is the ride about to end?

RON not available in WA State until October 2020

I have updated my system to be available for electronic future. Title companies better tread carefully or they will be breaking state laws. Most of my signing adventures are retired seniors (some military), young military purchasing 1st homes, and many multi-state signings. Military have specific security issues. Lot to think about before they pull the plug on Signing Agents. I have worked a lot with the Government in the past. Tread softly.

Hear they are doing census by mail now ~ right?

jcanty ~ so much agree with your statement. That is why Military has special requirements to prevent fraud. For those that may not know, USN military bases will not allow smart phone or other such type of electronics on base. Personnel living on base end up meeting like a Starbucks or such type of venue to sign docs. Definitely no Skype, etc. allowed especially where their personal information is concerned. They are classified personnel.

Once the decennial starts back up (it’s been suspended for at least two weeks - probably more) - it can be done by mail, on the phone or online.

If folks don’t respond by one of the three above methods by I believe it’s May or June, (which will also probably be extended) then an enumerator will be knocking on the doors of those who have not responded.

I agree especially if they are not familiar with computers, etc.

I just had an interesting conversation with a former attorney client, now retired about RON. Wisconsin is allowing them under a temporary emergency order due to COVID. The state passed a permanent RON statute, which goes into effect in May. The question I had for the attorney was about venue. Our statute allows any qualified notary registered with the state regardless of residence to perform RON for Wisconsin signers. Venue was always an important consideration for me because I live in Kenosha county which is a border county to the State of Illinois, a state which requires residency in order to be commissioned. RON basically says that venue is no longer an important requirement. and being in cyberspace provides you with a level of omnipresence. My question for the attorney was “if RON is acceptable, why would we even need notarization” if the requirements of notarial acts are diminished, are we not saying that notarization is unnecessary?. His response was that the law and logic don’t always correspond. I completely agree.

If we go to RON nationwide–which is understood by the general public and legislators about as much as ‘what a notarization is & isn’t’–we may as well abandon notarization completely and just pinky-swear and be done with it all…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes