Porch Signing... in northwest Washington?

Leave the docs on the doorstep, look at ID through a window, twiddle thumbs standing outside the window while borrowers sign inside the house, then wait while they put the docs on the doorstep, pick the docs up, do the notarizations, do the final check, knock on the door if anything has been done wrong - go through the process again to get errors fixed…

I spent 3 hours watching signers chat, argue, stop and leave the table for coffee… for a bathroom break… for a freaking SNACK while I was standing in the pouring rain in 42 degrees, because the only window where I have a clear view of the table they insisted on using faces the front lawn. And that is not even considering the hour I spent putting post-it flags all over the docs prior to the signing.

Yeah. NO. Never again!

I may have pneumonia after this, but it won’t be from COVID-19.

7 Likes

It sounds so simple. Now I know it’s not. Thanks for relating your horrible experience. Without us giving a 1 sentence explanation of the doc AND keep things moving, they ARE going to read, discuss, argue, chat, wander off. Ummm… in 3 hours of standing in the cold, I’d need a bathroom break…then what?

1 Like

Thank you for the reality check, Judi - and I, too, am so sorry you went through this. Hope you’re okay

Yes, the virus needs to be taken seriously and some precautions are in order. However, if I can’t go inside or if I don’t have a clean, dry place outside where all parties can loosely congregate, I will not do the signing. The “through the window” signing is ludicrous.

3 Likes

I’ve been having all of my signers have a table or space where we can meet outdoors but I’m lucky that the weather cooperates here. Soon it may get too hot for that here but so far it’s working. We can stay further apart and being outdoors makes me more comfortable even though I’m not entirely sure it is that much safer. I’ve also just accepted the fact that most of my appointments may take a bit longer. Hang in there, everyone.

1 Like

Adding insult to injury… these were high net worth clients with a huge house. There was a big covered front porch where we could have signed. As I drove away shivering, huddled over the steering wheel with the heat blasting, I saw their back yard… with a massive covered outdoor entertainment area, complete with full dining set up, fireplace and heaters.

If they didn’t want me in their house, why didn’t we use that?

3 Likes

Very true. I make an extra call the morning of the signing, asking if there is anyone sick in the house, then reminding folks that I require a cleared, cleaned table, that they will sit on one side and I will remain on the other; that I will be wearing gloves and bringing pens for them; and that no one else (i.e. children) is to be present in the room. It does take longer than being able to lean over and point, but just as you do, I am scheduling with that in mind.

We do what we do when it is what it is, right?

3 Likes

Very stiff and sore from standing in the cold so long, Linda - thanks for asking.

1 Like

After two hours I was uncomfortable in that regard. The last hour, I really wanted to scream every time they stopped signing.

Thankfully I was 10 minutes from home.

One of the downsides of closures - no nice clean handy Starbucks nearby.

1 Like

I signed in the garage which is totally okay with me. I wish people would state do you mind signing in the garage or porch so I bring a Sweater or jacket Most have been inside the home with a little distance.

In this case “porch” did not mean “signing on the porch”. I’ve done that, and in the garage… both are fine with me! I suggest keeping a coat and an umbrella in the car these days.

1 Like

Don’t even get me started!

My COVID19 signings: This week got even worst!
I was wearing my N95 mask and exam gloves, plus disinfecting wipes on me. I even informed the signers in advance!
Signing#1: I was not allowed in the house. We were signing in a storage shed in the back of the house. Dusty disgusting trash were all over the floor, etc. I was in a nice business suit. No problem. But I was nice, understanding and professional.
Signing#2: I was not allowed in the house. It was 30 degree, snowing, cold, signers insisted that we sign in their unheated garage. I was in a nice business suit. No problem. Again I was nice, understanding and professional.
Signing#3: I was not allowed in the house. It was cold 49 degree. I was outside on their uncovered patio, windy. We were passing the docs back and forth through their slide doors. I was in a nice business suit. No problem. Again I was nice, understanding and professional.
Signing#4: Scary neighborhood, I was not allowed to enter the house. We were passing the docs back and forth through the front door. I was in a nice business suit. No problem. I was nice, understanding and professional.
Signing#5: Five scary dogs rushed to greet me! I don’t think so! I firmly asked them to put the dogs away. Ok, fine. We signed in a disgusting dusty abandoned green house. I was in a nice business suit. No problem. Again I was nice, understanding and professional.

From this point forward in the current hysterical environment, I will be introducing myself as follows:
”Hello my name is Sinath and I’ll be your COVID signer today.
Are you comfortable with me wearing basic PPE or would you prefer that I suit up in my level 1 hazmat gear. If so, we will have to get this done in about 15 minutes since I only have 20 minutes of oxygen in my tank.” :joy:

7 Likes

You all realize that escrow people setting up appointments are telling borrowers NOT to meet us in their homes, right? Now, I am fine in a garage, on a covered porch, or on a covered patio - I can wear a coat. But I am never standing outside shivering in the rain while I try to describe documents through a window again. If the borrower cannot provide a dry, covered location, forget it. There are many forms of pneumonia besides COVID-19.

4 Likes

Great suggestion! Love it!

1 Like

Ultimately, it’s up to us to decline or accept the signings! Hope this is over soon. God help us all!

2 Likes

Judikidd, by any chance was that signing in Port Orchard, WA? If so, can you please call me? 360-280-0888?

No, it was not. Bad experience of your own?

Oh wow that’s awful sorry you had to go through that I recently did a porch signing in the rain. signer placed copy of IDs In a Ziploc bag; brought her own pen and we completed the signing (seller) out in 10 minutes. I Wasn’t offended at all because I didn’t want to go inside and I did not want her inside my car so the porch worked out for me lol.

1 Like

Yes. Well, potentially a bad one. I was just scared for a moment after reading your post that the signing I turned down was the signing you had received. I’m so glad it wasn’t. Listen here: Listen to Message from Carmen 03-26-2020 by NSA 101 Workshop | Carmen Lane LLC on #SoundCloud

Stay safe, everyone.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I was crying with you. I’m scared after listening to your recording. Maybe I should lock up my stamp for a month:(:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like