Remote Online Notary (RON)

Is anyone a Ron and what do you think of docVerify, NotaryCam etc.,?

3 Likes

Don’t know much about RON (except I don’t want to get involved), but it has been discussed quite a bit here. Scroll around a bit and I’m sure you’ll find the prior discussions.

3 Likes

Okay thank you! Will do!

Why don’t you like it? Just asking 

1 Like

For openers, not legal for AR notaries. But, from what I’ve read, it’s quite expensive & the liability is extreme for the notary, while the technology providers seem to be exempt. And, if it does ‘catch on’ as the technology-providers hope it will, I believe it’ll all be done by in-house employEE/notaries, not ICs. I will not go into the great detail that has already been discussed over and over and over.

3 Likes

Makes sense. I watched a webinar yesterday from someone who “appears” to be successful . I’m still not buying into it yet.

1 Like

One of the company’s that I do signings for pushed me pretty hard to get RON certified. So, I did about a month ago in Texas I have not received any orders yet for RON. The NNA has a class that you can take online for RON.I hear that the fee to do a RON closing is around $75.00.

2 Likes

I had a seminar to be certified with one of my major customers. They made it sound like we were going to be immediately deluged with orders the next day. It has been over a month and am still waiting for the first one.

4 Likes

Just random musing
until (and big IF) the technology needed is fail-safe (which doesn’t exist as huge big-tech companies regularly get hacked), I think Lenders & TCs want this to work but have a lot of security concerns about it. It’ll take one big co. willing to risk jumping into the pond to see if there’s alligators before the rest will risk it. So most aren’t willing to be first, but want to be ready to jump in after it’s proven to be alligator-free. As they have nothing to lose by pushing notaries to bear the cost of being ready-to-go–why not? But, if there are alligators
oh, well, only loser is the notary. After expenses $75 doesn’t sound very lucrative to me–particularly given the apparent lack of need or volume.

6 Likes

Yes. Well put. Facing same concerns, challenges, and obstacles in Washington State with its early implementation of RON. I won’t touch RON until my state notary commission rules and guidelines are updated AND notaries are granted the ability to pass on costs associated with RON technology to customers to cover 10 years of audio/video storage.

2 Likes

Exactly. If they truly want us to notarize the “public’s” documents on that system, they wouldn’t make it so expensive for us.

The other day the nna had a webinar on this trying to make it look so easy as another way to get income. Thankfully I asked how much it cost to be on those docVerify/NotaryCam platforms and when the speaker said $100 or more 
 that’s when I knew this wasn’t for me. And that’s per each platform
 nawww that’s a setup

5 Likes

Even though I am CO approved to do full E-notarization and full Pavaso E-notary Certified, I’ve decided that I don’t want to get involved

I will be the last person to do full paper signing! The day they tell me that I no longer can do that, and the ONLY way I can do notarization work is through RON, I will pack up and RUN! :joy:

5 Likes

Mostly RON as time goes on seems to be where people want to get to
 we will see. I am working on my RON certification.

2 Likes

Good luck! :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::clap::clap:

1 Like

Took the RON training and exam yesterday. RON approved in Ohio this morning :+1:

3 Likes

Just wanted to mention. Here in Florida, you are required to choose a platform when you sign up to be RON certified, which I did. However, I don’t think it makes sense to do this on our own. The lender, or the title company, must initiate the closing as a RON closing. Therefore, I switched from the platform I had signed up with and became certified through Notarize. I can now do GNW there. But, I also found a major lender (and I believe there may be more than one but it is not being widely advertised as yet, only because they don’t have enough work right now) who is pushing their brokers to do more RON closings. Yes, they only pay $75. But I will be saving my car, my office supplies and my time. It is worth it, especially if they can provide me with at least 4 - 6 closings per day. And, just like in the pen and paper world, you still work for as many companies as you wish, so you have to put all of your eggs in one basket.

The point is, be flexible, research the options, but know that this is the future. The schools barely use pen and paper any more. Why? Because computers are the new pen and paper. The mortgage industry will not be able to stay in the past much longer.

The main thing though, is that the only thing we can do as notaries is GNW. And, I’m not sure if that is sufficiently lucrative to do. It will be nice, however, when you have a secondary, non-real estate type work when the feast/famine portion of real estate/mortgages, tanks for a while. It will help you survive!

7 Likes

Sorry. I meant the only thing we can use our own platform subscription for is for GNW. I had a title company call me to ask if I was RON certified. I said yes. She then wanted to give me a closing for a borrower who was in another state. I couldn’t do it. I didn’t have a platform I could do it under, and I didn’t know if the lender would accept online notarizations anyway. I refused the closing.

Once I begin doing them online, I will report back!

2 Likes

thank you, Im also a texas notary and I’ve been hybrid certified for years now and NOTHING has come my way in TX. I did just have one call today about an online notarization but I didn’t even know where to direct them. In my opinion, in this market, $75 for online is just as good as 125 in person. LESS heat, LESS printing, LESS DANGER of covid
 thoughts?

5 Likes

If RON becomes what the architects want it to you independent notaries (all of us) will be out of business permanently. I’m not worried at all as I have multiple streams of income and not just one job. If all you are is an independent notary, your days are numbered.

Considering the fact that no one is promised tomorrow
 then yes, all of our days are numbered :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Anyone ever hear of video-conferencing? Where more than 2 people are “skyping” or whatever platform they use? As I’ve said before - this can easily be done with video-conferencing - party 1 Title/Escrow; party 2 signers; party 3 RON notary. All done online. It’s been done in Florida already - and electronic documents are being accepted for recording here.

I agree - days are sorely numbered for those of us who don’t jump on this bandwagon - past my time to invest in this, but I feel sorry for all the new folks being churned out without being warned they’re walking into an antiquated system that probably won’t sustain them.

1 Like