Getting Assignments

Hey guys I need some help/advice. I am a newer notary and I have been a certified signing agent for a few months now, I have not had a single signing. I have had a few sent from Snap docs and i instantly select available but never get assigned. I get some requests from notarygo as well but it’s always $30 and usually over an hour and a half away which clearly isn’t worth it. I don’t know what to do to get signings HELP! I am signed up with a TON of signing services and I eventually plan to direct market but I feel like I should have at least some experience before doing that. TIA for your responses.

2 Likes

@ashleighb1123 It’s currently a VERY challenging business sector due to a variety of factors that are outside the realm of control for us business owners . . . ; i.e., Professional Signing Agent [PSA] saturation in your region, the current interest rates, the current low volume of orders, etc., etc., etc.

======

This query is posed in a new thread and answered on a NEARLY DAILY basis . . .

It’s always wise to research within the Notary Cafe forums database (it’s truly a GOLDMINE) by utilizing the Search Function.

Nearly all members find it difficult/nearly impossible to locate the Search Function in order to access the wealth of info available within the database.

To be helpful, I’ve inserted an image for you & others [see below] to help members locate it to unlock the wisdom & knowledge of other members on the forums.

Accessing the database to locate info about potential clients has saved many of us an inordinate amount of time ‘chasing’ payments for Services professionally provided to potential non-payers . . .

======

You may find these 2 threads insightful:

:swan:

Welcome to Notary Cafe, @ashleighb1123 !
You are brand new and right now the signing agent business is considered slow, even for the seasoned experts. Interest rates are crazy high compared to what they were a couple years ago. Until we see those rates drop significantly, we are all in the same boat, my friend. We are all trying to survive with general notary work and other side gigs.

But here are some things to consider:

1. Review your SigningAgent.com profile (and any other online profile you have) and make sure to emphasize the business skills and experience you do have.

2. Consider increasing your E&O as many hiring companies (lenders, title companies, etc) expect the signing agent they hire to carry $100k. I know it’s an increased expense, especially in the beginning when you are just starting out in the signing agent business, but if a hiring company considers your coverage too low, it becomes added risk for them so they might not even consider you to do their loan signings in the first place.

3. On your business website, try to make it easy for prospective hiring companies to see your phone number and what cities/areas/counties you serve right away. Try to see your website through the eyes of a first time visitor who is trying to reach you. When someone lands on your page, they should be able to see at a glance how to reach you without clicking or scrolling. Try to reduce the number of clicks and scrolling. SUGGESTION: Where it says “NNA Member. NNA Certified” add your phone number! Also, I see you have three different links to request to book your services which is awesome. What is not awesome is that right now none of those links are active and so when they click the link, it just says it’s not available and they should contact you. Kinda frustrating for them. SUGGESTION: Change to CALL NOW and edit the links so that it calls your phone with just one click. Or delete the BOOK ONLINE page until you are ready to activate the online booking feature.

4. Enter this in Google search: “Notary signing agent in LOCUST GROVE, VA 22508” or “Notary signing agent in (YOUR CITY, YOUR ZIP)” and see what the search results are notary signing agent in LOCUST GROVE, VA 22508 - Google Search
    And then scroll, scroll, scroll to find your name.

5. Consider creating a FREE GOOGLE MAPS BUSINESS LISTING. Make sure to include your phone number and website address in your listing. Prospective hiring companies are not going to scroll forever looking for you. The quicker they can find you, the better for both of you. And free is a good price for a Google maps business listing :smiley:

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

2 Likes

As you may know, the market is much slower than it has been past few years. Make sure you are signed up with at least 150 Signing Services, have a professional headshot profile picture and become SnapDocs verified. Best of wishes to you.

1 Like

I’m a newly commissioned notary but also an old man whose seen a lot. When I was taking my class/test I heard so many people talking about the money they were going to be making, and felt badly; aware from experience just how long it takes to build any new business into a money making enterprise.

The market is soft right now so jobs are tight. There are a lot of notaries who have been doing this a very long time; known commodities struggling to get gigs. These people will get priority when something comes up.

One thing that experience has taught me is that business is cyclical; that things will always improve and jobs will come. If you can hang in there and get yourself established, you’ll be positioned to take advantage when the good times return.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I absolutely understand the market right now and believe me I have not put all my eggs in this basket. I appreciate your feedback so much and I will definitely implement these changes. My main priority right now is to gain as much knowledge and experience as I can so that I can grow. Your response is the most productive I’ve received and I appreciate your help immensely.

2 Likes

Thank you for your encouraging words. I do understand the market and don’t worry, I never started this thinking I’d be swimming in checks lol. I truly found a passion for this, and am looking to learn and grow and I’ll be ready when business picks up.

1 Like

Happy to help, Ashleigh!

Don’t give up. It took me awhile to get orders from signing companies, but when I did, they were low ball fees from NotaryGo, and The Closing Exchange. I accepted them because I needed the experience plus add to the number of loan closings. I prospected Title Companies for Direct loan assignments, I did this with only 3 months of experience. I had two Title Companies that contacted me for signings, I still receive signings from one of the Title companies, she also refers others to me.
You also what to add more GNW to your business, setup “My Google Business” for advertisement it doesn’t cost anything. I now have completed 73 signing orders, have done a lot of GNW with only 1.5 years of experience.
You have to believe in yourself, sell yourself, and prospect, prospect, prospect. Don’t let your lack of experience stop you.

Hi Ashleigh,
Do you have a page on the notary platforms (123 notary, signingagent.com, etc) with all your credentials and a bio and a professional photo of yourself? A professional photo is important because when companies do not know who you are this is the best representation of yourself. You should have it on all your pages including this one! Sign up with signingorder.com in addition to snapdocs. They tend to send orders more directly than just blast them out. Another strategy is that when you see an order from snapdocs and you select available, then immediately look up the number for the hiring company and call them and ask if they would like you to help them with their signing. Respond to each order even if you decline as it indicates you are working. It can be tough to get going but work will come. Set aside time each day to work on your computer and find notary platforms, signing companies, and do trainings that are free. Good luck!

1 Like

As a newbie, ClosingExchange was my goto as they always pumped out signings. Out of all of the companies, I feel that they send out notifications the most. I don’t do their assignments anymore due to the low fees but it’s a great starting point to get some experience for yourself. If you haven’t signed up for them already, I suggest giving them a try. Just like everyone is saying however, due to things out of our control, signings aren’t coming by as much as they used to. I would also suggest doing some other notarial/ non notarial work too, if you need to make some money while you keep trying.

2 Likes