Getting started as a virtual notary

One of my employees recently got commissioned as a notary in the state of Texas so we can use her services within our company. But due to our company’s remote WFH structure we now want her to become a virtual notary since in person notarizations aren’t ideal with us working in a virtual environment.

I’m trying to figure out what all she will need to become a virtual notary and to perform remote online notarizations as well as the the associated costs so I can get approval from our finance department. I’ve been looking into RON platforms to get info on pricing and the features they include but it looks like most of them charge a subscription fee in addition to charging you for each RON you perform.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to perform RONs without having to use one of these services? For example if she got her digital certificate with her signature, electronic seal, and electronic journal through a vendor could she then perform RONs on her own using her webcam and microphone without using a platform or service to actually perform the notarizations? (She would only be performing RONs for a few of our coworkers within our company and no one else)

And if the use of an online notarization platform is necessary to perform RONs, are there any out there that charge a set/standard fee for full use of their services? I need to provide our finance department with an estimate of the cost but I can’t estimate how much that will be if we’re going to be charged for each RON my employee performs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Here is a link to the TX requirements - from what I read the answer is “no” - you cannot do it without using a third-party service who is responsible for the electronic journal along with the storage of the video and the issuing of the digital certificate. Your employee can do it on her own for you but a third party service (DocVerify, Notarize, Signix, etc) will be required to comply with the regulations.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/gettingstarted.shtml#

Hope this helps a little

1 Like