Has anyone ever heard of a loan closing performed and the borrowers house by a lawyer and with out a Notary

@mondoon

FYI: There are multiple queries within your thread that are awaiting answers from you . . .

I thought lawyers can in NC too

This is absolutely illegal . Smh . This is why I pride myself in not partaking in not of this funny business.

Itā€™s not illegal everywhere. In the State this couple was working from, thereā€™s was, at the time, nothing in the legal codex that stated such. The GLBA only applies privacy rules, sharing protected information among employees or partners in a business. It doesnā€™t prohibit what happens in the back end processing, only that confidential information be kept confidential.

This is the same in Texas.

I am from Washington. Lawyers can be a Notary and a Lawyer. I think the fact that an attorney is spending time notarizing is odd in itself (unless there is a more complicated situation involved). Did you contact the agency (lender or title co) that hired this person and share your concerns with them? That is where I might start. As a signing agent, know that documents must always be notarized in the presence of the signer (regardless if the Notary is also a doctor, lawyer, or any other occupation). Today is Nov 20 and so by now your documents have likely been filed with your county auditors office. You can go there and ask to see the Deed and then you will see if the document got notarized or not.

I must have misunderstood because I thought they were impersonating their spouse by using their stamp. Iā€™m quite certain you canā€™t ever use another notaries stamp, regardless if you are a notary or their spouse. Your notary stamp is to only be used by you.

A Lawyer can be a Notary, but he should Nortized in front of you. Why didnā€™t you ask him to Notarize in front of you ?

1 Like

I would of REPORTED THEM !!

State specific ā€¦ Not a documented requirement or prohibited act in many states.

Some states are attorney only states.