Hospital Signings and Jail Signings

California people how do u go about finding are advertising for hospital signings?

(KY) I’m not sure if states regulate this stuff, but I can tell you here hospitals have social workers on staff, so that’s who I give my card too (same with nursing homes). Jails and Prisons have Administrative staff you can reach out too. Keep in mind “most” public entities like jails and prisons can’t feed (favor) business to one individual. By me they keep a roster of notaries and rotate through it (equal share) as the need arises. Keep in mind, these entities are no different than banks, libraries, UPS stores, etc. and can have their own notaries on staff as well. Also on a side note, always notice and mind “no soliciting” signs, especially with hospitals and nursing homes. But after an invite, if they ask, then do tell!

2 Likes

thank you that was really helpful :+1:

1 Like

I do hospitals, jails, and nursing homes. I initially gave my cards to the intake people when you first enter the facilities.

I am a new notary and haven’t done any signings yet. I recently completed the Notary Essentials and Signing Agent Trainings through the NNA. I don’t remember any information relating to hospital or jail documents. What kind of documents are involved with hospital or jail signings? Is there any other information I need to be aware of before signing these type of documents?

Basically, inmates/Elderly can conduct any transaction that can be on the street that they have interest in. Divorce, Child Support, Wills, Trusts, Real Estate, Adoption, Marriage, Divorce, etc. They are simply at a different location and procedures to access to them are different based on the facility they are housed in.

Hospitals and Jail assignments fall under the category of General Notary Work (GNW). These are not conducted like a loan document signing. Your client will be the family member, agent, lawyer, or bail bondsman, usually requiring only one notarized signature. For that simple reason alone, you must negotiate a reasonable travel fee that pays you for the time and effort. The next thing is knowing the facility rules regarding the necessary personal appearance of the signer. It would also help if you asked about the signers’ physical and mental health. All these factors must be attended to before accepting the assignment.

1 Like

Good response. Personally I do not perform jail signings. Hospital and full care facility signings after asking initial questions you stated. These medical facilities found me on Google. After I get my foot in the door leave my card with hospital or facility DSHS officer, Minister, etc. I don’t perform signings for COVID patients or similar situations due to my age.

It’s a proven fact that the average person rarely requires the services of a notary public. When they do they find one at a store, bank or friend of a friend. That only leaves incarcerated, incapacitated, or infirm individuals who must be prequalified and have arranged someone who is willing to pay your fee.