How far in advance should signing company or title company book a notary?

Hi! I am just starting out as a mobile signing agent. I have one title company who books me and sends the signing package to me before noon when the signing is in the evening. Most other companies I get blast texts from only notify me within an hour or two of the signing making it impossible for me to get back to print the package.

What is the norm? How far in advance do you typically get a package and/or booking from a company?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have had signings booked a week in advance.

If a blast goes out and it’s the same day to where I can’t get the documents printed out in time, I ignore the request and go on my way.

It depends on the company sending out the requests. You can always tell them you can’t do the signing unless they get documents to you by a certain time.

1 Like

No hard and fast rule. Assignments are offered when the lender has docs that need signing. The short notice may be due to a last minute cancellation by another notary, or a delay in receiving a payoff statement, or a miscalculation in the original package… a hundred reasons. Ask when docs will be available. If you can’t get to the signing on time, don’t take the assignment. One thought - these are always a good opportunity to get an increased fee - I call it the “same-day service” premium. You will be dashing back and forth, and your time/stress is money.

5 Likes

So far every single offer I’ve gotten is a same day signing usually with a 2-4 hour window between the offer and the appointment time.

Just ignore the text message since you can not reach out to them. I usually receive text message followed by a phone call when it is less than 1 hour window. The down side is, if you accept it and you are late for the appointment, they will not contact you again.

1 Like