How far would you go? (Re: Services that won't pay)

What state are you in? I have filed small claims a few times when I practiced in California. I was also successful with collecting on the judgments. It helps if you can find someone that has received payment from them to get their checking and routing number off of their checks (even E-checks). This will allow you to levy their bank account. Yes, you can recoup the filing and process serving fees.

Writing the debt just encourages them to use other notaries. I wouldn’t worry about black balling, you will always have good references if needed. Good Luck!

2 Likes

Small claims works only if the company is in your jurisdiction. Filing a small clams case on an out of state entity…well good luck getting them served, much less a response. Then there’s collection efforts.

Letting the community know what’s happened let’s the rest of us choose to not accept their engagements. Think is this as a bad notification, similar to a credit reporting service.

1 Like

I live in Florida, where the company does have a regional office, but the Corp HQ is in Penn.

Have you tried contacting the corporate office? I’d also file a complaint with the BBB. Be sure you’ve properly calculated the 45 “Business” days (approx 3 months). I’ve had that experience several times, and once those business days have been exceeded, I start calling and sending invoices with demand for payment email. If no response after 2nd demand letter, I call the Title company involved. I believe I downloaded a set of demand letters from the NNA website. You can also hire collections agency to pursue them.

1 Like

It’s not that easy to contact their Corp HQ. And, perhaps, that’s “by design.” I could write to them (no phone contact), but I’m not sure to where in particular (i.e. which dept) I should send it. The are very clear in their instructions that “all inquiries in re: payment should be sent to a given email address.” And, of course, one keeps doing that, and they do nothing. They are, apparently, very skilled at doing nothing at that email address.

I’m also considering filing with the BBB, but they aren’t even listed on the BBB. I’d be creating a “new entry” for them, and I’m not sure what all that entails. This company, however, is a member of the NRMLA (Natl. Reverse Mortgage Loan Assoc). I might do better to complain to them… perhaps some other of their professional agencies.

Their stated time for payment is “45c ‘calendar’ days from the signing date” (not business). The first signing was on 05/30/2023 and the 2nd on 06/11/2023. So, we are long past those dates, and I feel confident in calling their accounts “delinquent.” And they have already offered me “feigned” apologies for the delays, telling me that they know they’re late, and they’ll do X,Y,Z to compensate for it, but they never do.

I believe my next move is getting the title companies on board. I don’t know how successful I’ll be with that as I’m sure they’ve been advised to not respond to notary inquires. We’ll see. Not sure about a “collection agency” as I think that might be too cost prohibitive. If I were combining that with a small claims action, then I could, potentially recover those costs as part of the action. But to hire a collection agency stand-alone, not sure. It would depend on what they’d charge me. I may also see about contacting the atty general of their HQ state (Penn) as well. But, without a “written contract” (again, by design of the SS, I think), it might be a tad difficult.

@Patricia Here is a post containing the information regarding accessing the collection letters:

:swan:

Thank you. I have already downloaded them from the NNA site. They have been sent the “Inquiry” letter already. Next will be the “appeal” letter with a few tweaks.

1 Like

Linda,
Can you tell me how to go about checking property records? That would be good to know. I think I’m in the same boat.

In Florida each county maintains their property records. I go to the Property Appraiser’s website for the county where the property is located and look it up by either owner name or address.

Then there’s another website to look up mortgages D and deeds etc etc. You can Google property records for your location and find out the proper place to go and look

OK thanks so much. Great idea.

Here in Pasco County, the County Clerk maintains all the vital records (Mortgages, Liens, marriage records, property deeds, NOCs, etc. etc. etc.). The Pasco County Tax Assessor (appraiser) also maintains a record of properties (i.e. parcel info, land owner of record, etc. etc).In fact, the County Clerk offers a “fraud alert” service whereby you’ll get an email if someone files a record that matches certain criteria that you set up (your name or portion of name, etc.). Or even if closely sounding like your name, you’ll get notified. Sort of like that “Home Title Lock” thing, but free to Pasco County residents.

You can, actually, look up and view any “public” documents. You just have to swear/affirm that you aren’t using them for “nefarious” purposes.

Have you used the search function for this company?
When I reached out to the VP of the title company to voice my concerns…I received an invitation to a webinar about how Notaroo was going to change the way signings happened and one of the guest speakers was none other that said VP…
I will not sign for them any longer.

Not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean I should “Google” them? I did. Did not find anything directly.

VP of Notaroo or of the title company? I think my next move is to get the title company on board for whatever that will accomplish… if anything. I suspect that the title companies may be “in on it” with Notaroo, as your quote above seems to imply (I could be wrong about that, but…)… After that, maybe file with the NRMLA. Maybe the BBB as well, even though Notaroo isn’t listed as yet on the BBB. At some point, unless they do pay, I’ll have to write it off. We’ll see. But I’ll make sure us notaries are well aware of and avoid them like the plague!

Search function of Notary Cafe-the little :mag: there are lots of posts about this company.

VP of the title company-which happens to be local to me, When I expressed concern about length of time that Notaroo was taking to pay.

@mag3_notary Great query! It’s always wise to research & vet a new client prior to providing a definitive confirmation to them for your initial Signing Order for them. A great start of research would begin within the Notary Cafe forums Search Function.

Most members find it difficult/nearly impossible to locate the Search Function in order to access the wealth of info available within the database.

To be helpful, I’ve inserted an image for you & others [see below] to help members locate it to unlock the wisdom & knowledge of other members on the forums.

Accessing the database to locate info about potential clients has saved many of us an inordinate amount of time ‘chasing’ payments for Services professionally provided to potential non-payers . . .

:swan:

At first, I was so desperate to get assignments, I’d respond yes to anything that sounded good, for fear of losing the assignment if I delayed any to do that research. Now, I’m happy to do the searching and research before and, if I get it, great. If I don’t, I’m not going to lose sleep. I will favor those services I know and who are consistent in their paying. Docs-2-Go is one of those.

I actually do know where the search function is, as it’s a staple on a lot of websties. I just didn’t bother to do it for this particular case.

I will, in the future.

. . . . . . . . :love_letter: :crown:

Notaroo pays in BUSINESS days. They are very slow paying but I have always been paid. Anytime I inquire about payment, they always respond. Go back and recount the days as business days and you will know when to expect payment.

1 Like

Also, I am waiting on payment for a signing I did on 6/12 and they just replied that they dropped it in the mail the other day. Hope that helps.

Then they told me something different. They made it all seem like it was calendar days. Nonetheless, we are already well beyond the 45 “business day” limit for the first signing and approaching 45 business days for the 2nd. Still, nothing from them. Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you did an assignment for them and when were you paid, thereafter?

Furthmore, their finance dept. has stated after I inquired that they’d send me replacement checks and/or setup an eCheck payment, and it never happens. They know they owe me. They know they’re late in paying (based on the rules they told me), and yet they do nothing.

It’s time to take it to the next step.