How should I go about getting a X.509 certificate?

Hello everyone,
I am a brand new and shiny NSA and would like to offer eDocs along with my services here in Texas. I have to obtain a X.509 certificate for my computer as proof to be commissioned for electronic notarization and wanted to know if anyone has an easy way to go about it. I’ve searched a few different forums on how to do this but come up more confused then when I started.

Which company should I select?
Is there a cost with obtaining this certificate?

Thank you for your time!

Hi, I’m also a new NSA in Kentucky. I’ve looked into this, and they all look to be in the $80+ range, unless you go with the likes of a DocuSign or similar service where the cert is included. Certain companies are also incompatible with certain certificates, so in my theory, it would be best to look into the companies you’d like to routinely work with, and see what they prefer or what is compatible.

If anyone knows more about this, I’m always interested also. Hope that helps.

Hi Kathryn,

You can get your Basic Assurance Certificate (X.509) via the NNA, or via Identrust, directly. Here’s a link to the NNA’s information on Digital Certificates. I hope this is helpful. All the best!

That’s a good point. Not every RON / enotary related vendor accepts the same certificates. The NNA says:

“Note: This certificate is accepted by eNotaryLog, NotaryCam, NotaryLive, Nexsys, Notarize, OneNotary.us, Qualia, SafeDocs, and Secured Signing systems. It is not compatible with Pavaso, Signix, and Docverify. If you are working with another platform provider, please verify that you may use the “Basic Assurance Digital Certificate” with their system before purchasing.”

However, I have only purchased one X.509 certificate, directly from Identrust for $62, and have used it for both Nexsys and Pavaso - so maybe that (NNA details above) has changed. I agree that it’s best to evaluate current requirements from the given vendor before putting money into a certificate.