I believe I was scammed

I received an email from a woman that said she was in my town with her husband, who is battling cancer. They are selling property out of state to help pay for treatment. She said someone at the hospital recommend me, as I did their closing a few years ago. Asked if I was available on a certain day (a Monday), my fee and that her title company would need my credentials. I responded that I could accommodate.

The next day I received an email from the title company ( First American Title) with contact names and phone numbers. They stated their client ( gave name of person who emailed me) wanted to use me for her closing on Monday and needed my credentials. Documents would be emailed to me, I would be responsible for printing two sets, and returning to title via shipping label.

Totally seemed typical. I responded that I was vetted with First American Title already but sent copy of my commission, E&O, Surety, and Driver’s license.

Never heard from them again. No response to my emails. On Monday I called the first number to the title officer - it was a heating and air conditioning business. The next number to the escrow officer was no longer in service. I now panicked. Re-reading the email, all looked so legit! Then I looked at the email it was sent from
 Persons name-Firstam@dr.com
They had the First American Title logo at the top, the disclaimer at the bottom - just exactly like First Am corresponds to me!
What should I do? This person has my credentials. I’m absolutely sick to my stomach.

1 Like

Commission is a matter of Public Record. There is nothing you sent them that can’t be found online.
E&O - doubtful they will file a claim but let your insurer know.
DL - Freeze all three credit reporting agencies. Put alerts on your bank account.
W9- Hopefully you have a business EIN and don’t use you SSN.
As long as you don’t provide them with PPI like your social security number and bank account numbers, you should be ok.

4 Likes

I did not provide SSN or EIN. Thank goodness!

3 Likes

@redrovermobilellc Sorry to read about your alarming experience. Thank you for taking the time to share in a very detailed manner. :yellow_heart::pray:

I concur :100: percent with the insights as provided by @richlandmobilenotary Very helpful. :owl::crown:

You’re wise to have created an Employer Identification Number [EIN] for your professional business services for completing your W-9. ===>>> For those who haven’t created one yet, here is the direct IRS url with instructions for qualifications & creating one: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online

I’d also like to add a couple of items:

1. Recommend creating a new scanned image of your Driver’s License [DL] - regardless whether obtaining a new one (or not) - & ensure you REDACT any pertinent and/or germane data on the image of your DL. At that point, create a NEW FULLY REDACTED SCANNED IMAGE for those business entities that require/demand it.

NOTE: You may already know this . . . but just in case:

On the DLs within many States in the US there will be the prominent DL #, Expiration Date, Date of Birth [DOB], etc., but there will also be a SECOND instance of that data that is vertical in alignment (instead of horizontal) or in some other way a bit obscured, but legible . . .

===>>> So, when you REDACT your non-public personal information [NPPI], please carefully evaluate that you’ve truly obliterated all visible NPPI.

1. For your bank account information, it’s always advisable to create a Receivables Account for the incoming electronic payments as a temporary holding account & then promptly transfer those funds to your “long-term” business account for safekeeping. This structure would provide twofold protection:

a. Protect against the potential of a malicious attack draining all your business funds.
b. Enable you a prompt & efficient method for closing the Receivables Account in the event of a malicious attack.

Of course, I’d like to request the suggestion(s) of @RiverpointeTax for input of his expertise, experiential, & sagacious items to this thread please.

1. Here is the direct Federal Trade Commission website url for: “What to Know About Credit Freezes & Fraud Alerts” What To Know About Credit Freezes and Fraud Alerts | Consumer Advice

Of note, it identifies: “Duration: A credit freeze lasts until you remove it.” It also provides direct links to the 3 credit bureaus (Equifax, TransUnion, & Experian).

:swan:

3 Likes

@redrovermobilellc I know this is one of those, Oh Shizel, what did I just do moments. Let me take a moment try to help you and our colleagues better understand what to do. What you describe sounds like a scam. Having worked as a Financial Crimes Investigator in a previous career and now as a Tax Professional and NSA, here are my best practices.

1. Contact your local law enforcement agency and make a report. This can often be done through their teleservices group so no driving to the local station. Call their public information number and let them direct you to the appropriate intake agent. Don’t expect a CSI investigation as these scammer disappear in a whiff.

2. Contact the three biggest credit reporting agencies to let them know you were scammed. If you have a police/sheriff/constables report they’ll help you lock out your credit data. Let them know you’ve made a police report.

3. Contact your bank and let them know as well. At a minimum, get a new business account and direct any online payment providers [paypal, zelle, ect.] to send payments to your new account. Let the online payment providers know what happened.

4. Let your credit/debt card providers know what happened and get new cards issued. Again the Police report will help your banking institutions track any unusual activity.

5. Contact First American Title and let them know someone is using their name and image for potential illegal activities. If requested, give First American the web addresses and a copy of the email(s) you received. First American can use this information to detect activities carried out by the bad actors. They have an image/brand to protect and will appreciate you helping them do so.

GENERAL INFORMATION AND BEST PRACTICES FOR ALL

1. Never provide a copy of your DL to anyone who doesn’t have a definitive purpose. Always ask why they need it and how they’re going to use, protect, and store it. Over the last several months we’ve all experienced Signing Services and Title Companies that ceased operations. Now ask yourself ‘where’s my PPI stored and who’s responsible if your PPI “leaks out to the internet”’.

1a. Remember cloud storage is just a computer, owned by someone else, that you have no control over. A loose hard drive removed from a computer or server during recycling can end up anywhere.

1b. Digitized PPI that leaks out to the Internet is like peeing in a pool
you’re never getting is back.

1. Always obtain an EIN from IRS, it’s free and you won’t have to use your SSN to conduct business. You can always get a new EIN, but it takes a Court Order to get a new SSN.

2. Always setup an LLC or other form of corporate entity. This helps to insulate you from your business should the bad actors show up. It’s recommended you engage a lawyer, CPA, Tax Professional, or other qualified professional to help you set up your corporate entity as each State’s Business Code is different.

3. Never release your personal identifiers [DL number, SSN, Medicare/Medicaid numbers, DOB, Pass Port numbers, or images of any of these documents] to anyone who can’t explain why they need it. The excuse that’s it’s “company policy” doesn’t cut it. I haven’t released my DL to any Title Co. or SS and it’s cost me business. It’s never resulted in ID Theft. You’ll have to decide how much risk your can tolerate.

I did have a now defunct SS inform me they send a copy of the NSAs DL to signers so they’ll know who’s standing at their front door. This means a person you’ve never met would have your DL and vital numbers. Did I just make your navel pucker with that one? Needless to say, I didn’t give them my DL.

Here’s something I just learned. You can, and I’d recommend, manufacturing a corporate ID card you can hang on a lanyard when you visit a client. The ID Card should display your headshot, name, company name and logo making you a bit more “official”. There are services that can make these ID cards for you and some do a really professional job. Use a professional headshot on your ID and website. Don’t use a glamour shot or a photo that’s too old. This will come across as being a fake. Use this ‘company’ ID if a SS or TC wants a photo image. This is why having your image on your webpage helps to legitimize your business.

All for now, comments invited.

4 Likes

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

2 Likes

Thank You SO much, @RiverpointeTax for further elucidating & instructing the Notary Cafe member base on this paramount topic! :crown::owl::sparkles:

I received a similar request yesterday and it seems legit except for the request for drivers license. I provided them the link to my NNA profile and have not heard from them since.

2 Likes

As far as notary commission goes, if the want an exemplar of the stamp (weird in itself), I normally deface the image with a marker (e.g.: 'X-ing out the stamp).

As far as notary number (i.e.: commission card/certificate), in many states it’s already public record.

My DL doesn’t go out almost ever, and then only with a completed signing packet (or in a situation where I initiated contact, so I can’t be spoofed).

Prior to creating a corporation, I applied via SS-4 for a sole proprietorship EIN, so my personal SSN doesn’t have to be given out.

Aside from flagging credit report, telling your E&O insurer of the issue and keeping a good record or notary journal is critical to defending against notary fraud. Advising your county clerk is not a bad idea either.

I don’t know if states issue new commission numbers if one is compromised; you can check your state’s website (or call department of state) to see if that option is available.

HWB.

Hello. A question about EIN. Do I need to create an LLC /business or I can acquire EIN without business?

@RiverpointeTax By any chance did you see this query?

I did not. Since today is a holiday I’ve not been monitoring posts.

EINs are issued by IRS. LLCs/DBAs/Business are handled by the State. Whether or not you need a business entity [LLCs/DBAs/Business/S-Corp, C-Corp, etc.] will be found in your State’s business code. In Texas no business entity is required. Obtaining an EIN offers no legal protections should you be sued. Legal protections are only found by establishing a business entity.

Since you’re not conducting business as a Texas entity, I’ll suggest you speak with an attorney, CPA, or EA practicing in our State.

That’s not a First American email.

Good catch, that was definitely a scam. Cancer to pull your heart strings. Fake Firstam email. That you did a signing for them before. They will shop this around. Some new notary will do this signing. Sorry to say. I just hope they have E&O and/or personal liability ins.

I’m a sole proprietor and I have one, so no LLC necessary.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.