I have a brother hl5370dw printer and i cant get it to automatically switch from letter to legal

Hello Virginia! Yes, yes I am still doing notary signing agent work. Had a serious collision Oct 8th coming home from a signing but starting to resume signings. My car is totaled, but grateful to be alive, still walking and talking :pray::+1::heart::+1:Feel free to call my any time. I am doing notary signing agent workshops NSA101.com

I have the exact same problem. I started to think it was the printer model itself. Some older printers allow for the extra paper tray – but only for storage of extra paper. Does anyone have one of these printers that actually AUTO pick paper sizes?

Don’t have a Brother, but have seen this issue a zillion times at least. Know you first have to set up 1 tray for letter & 1 for legal before you attempt to print. Also many have said to call Brother & they will walk you thru the set up. Another issue is Macs don’t play well with Adobe.

Try PDF size, and is supposed to print as downloaded in PDF, mixed of legal and letter sizes.

I use Brother exclusively and have several. When I set up a new one, first I set up the ancillary tray for legal paper by pinching the green tab on the bottom slide and running it all the way to the back. Then I install the ancillary tray. (Make sure that the back of the now-longer legal tray does not hit the wall behind the printer. If so, that can knock the tray forward enough that the printer may register the tray as empty. The printer will default to all letter.)

Before installing the drivers, I go to the Tools menu on the printer (not the PC) and establish Tray A as letter and Tray B as legal.

Printers work fine with Adobe afterwards.

1 Like

I recently had this issue. It took two weeks of being told by Brother representatives that it was an Adobe issue and being reminded by Adobe’s answering machine that free users do not have access to support, before I was able to get the help I needed.

Back to the point…

The issue was solved with a few steps:

1. Go to Printer Properties and look at the box that says, “Paper Available.” It should include both letter and legal. If it does not (mine was only reading Letter), check the Device Settings tab and click Auto Detect. If the column labeled Paper Size says “undefined,” go to the Ports tab and see if the box checked says “Standard/TCP IP Port.” If not, click “Add Port,” select “Standard/TCP IP Port” and click “New Port.” Then, type in your printer’s IP address. When the Wizard opens, you should click next and that should detect the port and allow you to then click “Finish.” It will give you a list of things to check if the port is not detected (make sure you are still connected to the internet).
    Now, when you go to the Device Settings tab and click Auto Detect, you should see the paper sizes set in your machine load in the Paper Size column. In essence, this fixed a break in communication between your printer and your computer.

If you can print mixed paper sizes at this point, “Hallelujah!” I had to take a couple more steps. The next being this:

1. Open Adobe and click the Edit tab. Select Preferences all the way at the bottom of the list. Make sure that the checkbox for the first option that reads “Enable Protected Mode at Startup” is UNCHECKED. Then, close and try again to print mixed paper sizes.

If you still cannot print mixed paper sizes (I could not at this point either) go to the last step:

1. Open a browser window and type in your printer’s IP address and click Enter. It will open a page with your machine’s name and settings (might not look the same as mine if you do not have a brother printer so you may have to interpret things in relation to your device). My page had a Login button that required a password only. The Brother Technician typed in the password (I later got it from him, so hint to you to ask machine support if you do not know it). Then, more settings options appeared. He selected the Firmware Update option. Firmware Update should be Enabled, and you should click the “Check for new firmware” button. When it has finished updating, click the Check for new firmware button again just to be sure it is fully updated (mine took two rounds). Then Click the Print tab and confirm your paper sizes. When that is complete, try again printing mixed paper sizes.

Hopefully, this helped!

1 Like

UPdate 2022: It seems you can only do this with brother printers if you print from Adobe.