In-House RON Closing is the future?

So I asked a local title company yesterday about RON closing. And she said that they are investigating options on doing their own RON in-house. To me that means if it’s allowed, they can just have their employees do RON in-house to save money. :thinking:Obviously, it’s all about keeping profits.
Just looking ahead, if that is what they are thinking of doing and if other titles and lenders follow suit, then eventually they don’t need independent notaries. :thinking:
I hope I’m wrong…

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing. :blush: Although, that’s not “news” for my region as the Title/Escrow Companies have nearly always kept their Signings in-house. So, it’s been a component of my evaluation/calculations for a few years since RON entered our business sector.

Another Reality Check :astonished: for all business owners to add to the list of variables in their Success Equation . . .

1 Like

Well the world we living in is changing and I guess we will have to other choice but to change along with it.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting notion and no doubt RONs will obviously cut into the independent notary market. But, there will always be a place for us. Title companies and banks stopped doing their own notary work because it does not generate as much revenue as selling new loan products and pushing the paper to get loans booked and closed. I look at it no different than when ATMs became ubiquitous. The handwriting was on the wall for tellers, and it tremendously curtailed teller service at satellite branches, but the large branches still maintain a teller line. If you have done RON signings you are already aware that some people are not that computer savvy and about 5% of my RON signings tank because of that issue. Then there are those who just don’t trust technology and that their important information is not going to be subject to cyber attack. I’ve run into those people too. They will always prefer an in-house closing with pen and paper. That is a separate area where title companies are ramping up to hire notaries just for these closings.
I agree with you that the notary market is going to shrink because of the long-term prospects of these two options as the primary way of doing loan closing business in the future. But, it will not eliminate the need for notaries as part of the loan signing process altogether. I’m sure fewer of us will benefit from this new model though. If notarizations are only going to pay $75-$100, I’d rather do it as a RON signing agent in the convenience of my home without the added expense of printing and travel. I’m all for it!

3 Likes

True, only a small percentage of people are computer/technology savvy but I think in about 10 years or less we’ll see some major changes. Yes, some of us will do very well because we are prepared and equipped for change so it is definitely better to diversify our services.
The other industry group sectors are holding the keys, they have the money to lobby for change, so we just need to keep adjusting in order to survive in this business.

1 Like

I think you’re spot on VIPnotaryCO…they’ll be done in-house by an hourly employee.
Tisino makes good points, too, but as time marches on, new generations will be very tech-savvy.
These techy times have seen many a rise & fall in a relatively short time period. 8-track tapes, Blockbuster video stores, phone booths & dial phones…to name but a few. In our field, it’s gone from trying to find a notary every-which-way to Directories to new platforms every other week.

4 Likes

Absolutely Accurate @Arichter :owl:

It’s a razor’s edge we tread to remain vital, contributing, & financially sound . . . :sparkles:

1 Like

Yep…razor’s edge, for sure. Wonder about the 35 year old SA 10 years from now who’s last job shown on a resume while they’re looking for a job was ‘self-employed notary’. Not very impressive.

2 Likes

@Arichter It’s been a conundrum seeing some heavily marketing their training for this business sector all the while having full knowledge of the looming downward-projecting horizon . . .

There are a few wise members who encourage younger/new members to engage this work only minimally/part-time due to the future forecasting. Plus, it’s much more lucrative for a young person to have employee benefits, insurance, vacation, holidays, a regular/steady paycheck, retirement, etc.

The adage comes to mind: "Lead a horse to water . . . "

2 Likes

You are so right! I also think that soon they will upgrade all cell towers, the cables and fiber optics all around the regions in order to provide hi-speed internet. Soon we will only see super computers equipped with fancy audios and videos on the selves for us to buy so we will be forced to be computer/technology savvy. These internet speed upgrades and super computers can be lobbied by the big companies to be enforced by the regions and this is where eventually people will prefer to doing everything from home. People go to Amazon when they need to buy anything, groceries are getting delivered to homes, people are buying vehicles online and get delivered to them, etc.

More like trying to herd cats…

2 Likes

@Arichter :owl: :sparkles: :crown: Absolutely!

1 Like

I want to add that, this title company is currently using Notarize to do RON! So the notaries who do ron for them will lose their business if they decide to go that route. I only learned about it because they are bringing me onboard to do in-house paper signing. I can only do RON on Nexsys and Pavaso. Think I’m going to add Notarize but will only accept real eatate transactions. We’ll see.

RON will be the death of NSA’s. Start preparing for other work I am afraid to say.

2 Likes

In house RON seems to be the dark storm in the distance. Why would they pay a third party if they don’t need to.

1 Like

Exactly @jnewberry - I called this last year - it’s not out of the realm of possibility - think Zoom meetings and such. It’s a financial boon for the title company.

2 Likes

Like other businesses, title companies look for ways to efficiently increase their bottom line/profit. They are in business to make money. Some of the comments here mention adapting to changing times. In any profession a person needs to be aware of coming changes and adjust accordingly or even find a new line of work.

2 Likes

This is PRECISELY why many of the experienced CNSAs who’ve seen the changes on the upcoming horizon states many reasons why NOT to become a CNSA now.

Best Wishes :swan:

This is what keeps the NSA courses in business, as most new students have only been employees.

1 Like

45The thing is RON does not pay $75-$100 for Loan Closings. they pay like $25-$50. sad right.

1 Like