Insurance Affidavit

I just got a call about a notarization. The signer has an affidavit that needs to be notarized for insurance purposes. She states that her mother is recently deceased and this is paperwork that needs to be completed for that. Do I need to see a copy of a death certificate in order to notarize something like this? (Or am I overthinking this?) She stated that she is the only signer listed on the paperwork. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Overthinking it. Look at her ID, give the oath, watch her sign and collect your fee. Bye

14 Likes

Just make sure the insurance form doesn’t require a Medallion stamp or Signature Guarantee. The Insurance carries states who can sign and what documentation is needed. The Notary Public are only required to verify the signer’s identity and watch their signature. It’s not our role to request to see any additional documents. The insurance carrier tells the signer, what documentation will be needed to be submitted with the signed forms. If we are hired by a company, we may be instructed as to what documentation needs to be collected and return with the signed form notarization form(s).

3 Likes

I always check uncertainty with the NNA hotline. This gives my total confidence. I can’t imagine not being a part of this organization.

@elle.a.3300 ===>>> Oh No!

As a business owner, the onus is completely upon you to Research to the best of your ability via multiple RELIABLE sources for information assisting you in managing your business. After all, your work (and potential errors) aren’t under the umbrella protection of a corporation. This type of business is standalone/independent contracting. Certainly, the business entity you cite could be one of MANY sources for potentially reliable data, but not the sole source of data.

Also, for your own protection, performing due diligence and comparing data input/results from various reliable sources provides answer viability.

======

There are multiple posts across the Notary Cafe forum that were created by multiple professional, experienced members who have decades of experience in the industry that have seen first-hand the invalid, faulty, and unreliable information that originates from that organization.

I don’t think your over thinking it. Needing a death certificate is a valid question. I was in the Life Insurance industry as well as the Death industry, you do need to see a copy of the death certificate. How would you know if the person is dead? I wouldn’t notarize it unless I saw a copy of the death certificate.

I disagree vking4847 … that is an overreach of notarial authority…IMO the death certificate is none of our business

Let me ask you … if you do a loan signing, do you ask for proof they own the property or proof they qualify for the loan?

My advice? Stay in your own lane

JMO

3 Likes

Good point about doing research cNsa5. That said, the NNA hotline normally provides me with further information such as references to my State statues. I find this more reliable that a chat room, which can easily amount to hearsay, but is not without its usefulness. Re: comment about Independent Contractor status…Yes, but do you not have an LLC ?

NNA hotline? Been a member for over 20 years and never called it. When I need info I contact the Secretary of State.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.