Interesting Experience

I’ve done the advertising, webpage, etc. and my name is getting out there. I know this because I’ve had two calls today- one to notarize an actual document, and a phone call from a lady for advice.

She wanted to know if I could notarize a letter or something so she could get custody of her niece. I basically told her I can’t give legal advice and directed her to an attorney or her niece’s social worker.

I guess I should get used to getting calls like this, right?

I’m also a freelance paralegal, so I know all about not giving legal advice.

Congrats Susan…you’re working hard and it’s showing.

IMO the question the lady asked - “can you notarize a letter or something so she could get custody of her niece” - wouldn’t have fallen under legal advice but rather notary procedure question. The legal advice would have been if she asked “will this letter allow me to get custody of my niece?” or “can you write a letter for me to sign so I can get custody of my niece?”

Depending on what state you live in (which right now I don’t recall if you’ve ever mentioned it) you can notarize anything providing all the requirements are met and your notarizing it is not prohibited by your state laws. I notarized a handwritten recommendation letter the other day - a lady wrote it commending her caregiver’s trustworthiness and honesty. She told me what act to use (ack or jurat) and that’s what we did. When in doubt if you can or cannot notarize, check your handbook.

Good luck. Keep up the hard work.

2 Likes

Thanks, Linda! :smile:

I’m in the :sunny: State of California.

She wanted me to notarize a letter she wrote so she could get custody of her niece. I think in California you can only get custody through a court order. Even if not, I would not feel comfortable notarizing such a letter because it involves custody of a child.