IPEN signings in CALIF?

Anyone know if Calif is going to start these signings? In-Person Electronic Notary (IPEN) was the first step in electronic notarization, with many states enacting eNotary legislation allowing for in-person electronic notarization. The steps are generally the same for both traditional notarization and IPEN: the signer appears in person before the notary public, the notary public identifies the signer, witnesses the signature, signs and affixes the notarial seal/stamp to the document as a notary public, and completes the notarial journal.

The only difference between traditional and electronic notarization is that technology is used to perform some of the requirements of the notarial act. In a traditional notarization, a pen and rubber stamp are the tools used. For IPEN, the notary uses a computer / tablet and electronic signature technology to perform the signature of the notarial act. Also, with IPEN, the notary public applies a digital stamp or seal and keeps an electronic journal of each act performed for a period of five to seven years (based on each state’s jurisdictional requirements).

1 Like

(CA) I want to move to IPEN. So much cleaner and neater and probably faster. I’m sure signers will prefer it to the traditional methods most notaries use.

1 Like

CA already allows e-notarization, don’t they? is iPEN different than e-notarization?

Same here … is it the same?

A big problem with IPEN is it results in an electronic document. If my kid shows up for the school field trip to Canada, and was told to bring a notarized permission slip, and the kid turns on his iPad and shows the teacher an electronically notarized permission slip, I don’t think it’s going to go over too well.

Going to IPEN ? Desperate wishful thinking?

My understanding is that California has not authorized their notaries do electronic notarizations. As to iPen vs RON, it’s not necessary to do iPen as a notary when RON covers everything for you. I have cut my business expenses by $400 a month since adopting RON and can get more notarizations and closings done in the process. Please check with your state to see if they allow you to do RON. If so, you might want to add it to your options as this is the way the industry continues to head. I have already handled over 7000 notarizations and closings via RON since April of 2020

1 Like