IRS Updated 1099K reporting information

FYI

If you’re not making money from notary work, rather inspections (1099), when do you advise reporting. Quarterly? Who should I go? I work full-time and do inspections on the side. So I’m not making a lot of money from it. Any advise would be helpful.

There isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ answer to your question. Having full time work [assuming W2 reporting and withholdings], how much income you’re pulling in on both W2 and 1099 income, Tax differed savings [401k, 403B, 457, IRA, etc.], your State’s reporting requirements, did you owe the IRS last year and how much

These variables start moving you into a more complex return that you should have a consultation with a Tax Professional. Remember you can deduct the professional fess as a business expense against your 1099 income. The professional fees deduction isn’t available if you have only W2 wages.

My suggestion is to have a chat with a Tax Professional about your specific situation. They’ll want to look at your last two years returns, at least I would, along side your current income numbers. Some States have credentialling requirements for Tax Pros and others don’t.

You don’t have to use a CPA, for most small business owners, an Enroller Agent, or AFSP credentialing is all that’s needed. CPAs tend to be more expensive.

2 Likes

I was last year and am now W2. But I started my LLC in December of 2022. But have yet to do any Notary work with exception of for friends for which I didn’t ask for compensation.

I am working a full-time job (W-2) and doing field inspections after work. But I’ve heard with 1099, you should handle it quarterly. I have never owed the IRS anything. I always got money back.

I will take your advise and speak with a tax expert. I don’t want to end up in a bind or end up owing. I have a lot of questions regarding write-offs, etc. too. Thank you for your help!

If you haven’t had any Notary engagements for 2022 you’ll should not receive any 1099-NECs. For your inspection business you “may” have to make quarterly reports/payments. When it comes to quarterly reporting, deductibles, credits, and other matters it’s best to have a chat with a Tax Pro. As a side note, I have a some clients who didn’t follow understand the details and were stung this year. It wasn’t too painful, as must as it was a surprise. The IRS is working with them to set up payment plans. Good luck, let me know privately how things worked out.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.