Is NNA Membership really worth having?

It’s not worth it, but companies like to see that you have it.

3 Likes

I have membership, but I don’t rely on them for any specific legal issues, I contact my SOS. They can be helpful for law and educational updates. If not them, I would suggest another membership that would keep you abreast of changes in the industry with a periodic newsletter.

2 Likes

Yes and no. Don’t actually rely on them for help, especially if you’re in a time crunch. But, it’s definitely important to have as their name holds weight professionally and it improves your marketability. Also, they put your name on signingagent.com, which can also be used to check your validity/credentials.

5 Likes

Concur with the post above by noblenotary615 on all points noted => “name holds weight professionally and it improves your marketability. Also, they put your name on signingagent.com, which can also be used to check your validity/credentials.”

Caveat: Generally, answers provided via the NNA Hotline are less than reliable (more often than not are inaccurate).

Always consider the source when seeking information for providing services, etc. Best to reach out to the Notarial Commission provisioning agency (usually the Secretary of State [SoS]).

4 Likes

Thank you I appreciate the feedback makes a lot of sense

2 Likes

Thank you much appreciated

1 Like

Agree with borunda06jason 100%. No, it’s all horsefeathers, but it’s the most accepted by all horsefeathers.

4 Likes

I totally agree with your answer. Sometimes, they gave incorrect information, so it is best to contact your SOS.

2 Likes

The certification is most recognized, along with their background check; as for membership, not so much. As has been stated, their hotline is less than reliable (you’ll get more reliable answers/guidance here than there).

It’s a shame too, because there are other courses that are far better, but this organization has managed to market themselves to the top; if you search here you’ll find many posts from folks who took their certification but don’t feel like they came away with a good, solid foundation of knowledge - they end up taking another certification course to “fill in the gaps”.

There are also other BGCs that cover the exact same information required, but again, the marketing has put them at the top - reliable or not.

3 Likes

I think it is because some signing companies have asked and also are students from NNA.

2 Likes

No, I don’t belong the NNA. I don’t feel like they are the "be all, do all Gods of the Notary World so why I should have to pay for their services when I can get everything I need from other companies.

2 Likes

That begs the question is it worth being a member of a local chamber of commerce?
Anytime you can gain information that expands your knowledge base can only help you Professionally.
Personally I am a member and use it to help market myself and my services better. You may be able to get a tax deduction for the membership, check with a Tax Professional.
They do have some excellent articles in their newsletter and magazine.

8 Likes

I think it is worth having. Although you are right, they will often refer you to SOS however they have proven helpful in a lot of my questions. I use the NNA for a lot of my supplies that that are notary specific such as journals, bags, E&O insurance, etc. There are some benefits such as discounts for online orders at Staples. The training is beneficial. And as someone on this thread pointed out, many agencies like to see the NNA Membership. Also, I like having a one stop shop site where I can get all my needed supplies that I find more tailored to my notarial needs.

3 Likes

I do like that I can call their Hotline at any time with questions. And I love that I can download my state-specific notary certificates from their website.

3 Likes

Can I ask a stupid question? What’s SOS?

1 Like

Secretary of State [SoS]

2 Likes

Your Secretary of State

2 Likes

There is so much more to the NNA membership than just their hotline. Your state handbook is online for you. There is a notification area for newly enacted laws for your state. There is supplies that you can purchase. You get access to downloadable certificates that are compliant with your state. You have access to all of the Articles and mini exams that they have. You can renew your commission with them. You have access to E&O insurance and bonds when you need them. They provide the industry standard for background screenings. You can take training courses on various subject including you own state Notary 101 courses. You can take the certification course and exam to be a loan signing agent.

So, if the only thing you are using your membership for is the Hotline to call and get answers to your questions…then I’d be compelled to agree with you that it’s not work the price. But hey, there really is so much more. AND BY THE WAY - being a member of the NNA is not the same as being Certified by the NNA.

5 Likes

As a newly minted notary, I really appreciate this thread. I had pretty much the same question and am now leaning towards getting an NNA membership, at least for two years, even if their overall helpfulness is a bit dubious.

I am noticing that as one’s notary experience increases there is less reliance on the authority of the NNA. I feel like they are great for California notaries however in PA it’s best so work with the SOS. We have even found some counties where docs are filed are even more persnickety than others. However, in their honor I would say they are the best option for NEWBIES seeking information about the process and overall best practices. I’ve met with some notaries in Delaware (once upon a time DE did not have education requirements) and it is apparent that they did not train with the NNA at times.