Is the Industry Really Dead?

I’m a new notary and am having trouble getting started. I’ve been registered for SnapDocs, Notary Rotary, and Notary Resume for months and haven’t gotten a single signing offer. My ranking on SnapDocs is “High”. I even moved my location to be in range for new development communities.

Is the Industry really dead?
I’m concerned because I sacrificed a lot to be here.

Any tips or knowledge that you could provide would be welcomed!

7 Likes

Self marketing is probably the best to do this. I learned this through the Loan Signing System. Rates will raise and have risen, however, you have to do your own marketing and show yourself out there is what I keep hearing.
Wishing you the best!
H

7 Likes

I’m afraid we’re all in for an extended drought in the notary business. If you’ve arranged your professional life around this vocation, my advice is to start looking around for other work. We’re in a recession and it will get much worse before it gets better. Just look around. . . the stock market is down 6000 points since January (roughly 20%), inflation is nearing 9%, gas is above $6 again (in California, anyway), the government keeps spending (the “real” reason behind inflation), home sales are flat, interest rates are over 6% and going to over 7%. Had enough??

Your best bet is to focus on GNW or find other work. The 2020-early 2022 notary craze is o-v-e-r. Wish I had better news for you. Just be smart. Fortunately, there’s a lot of good-paying jobs out there if you’re qualified. Get one whilst they’re hot.

14 Likes

Hi, jawyand. Diversifying your business will give you more avenues for using your notarial commission to your advantage. General notary work is still respectable work and since you were already prepared to drive to signings, consider marketing locally to provide mobile notarization services and other notary serviced business offerings. I personally focus more on general notary work and field inspections, but I would caution that not all field inspection work is equal or recommended. I’ve done well focusing on mortgage field inspections and business verification work as these industries tend to recruit notaries for the attention to detail and background. Additionally, you can have your E&O and GL insurance selected specifically to cover you for these kinds of services. You might also want to consider apostille services if you live close in proximity to your secretary of state office. I’m not a new notary, but I am a newer signing agent and I can tell you that there is no shortage of people willing to discourage you or sell you on get rich quick mentalities when it comes to notary work. My recommendation is to find a mentor who will speak and work with you rather than talking at you if you’re looking to stay the course and find a way to make money, even with the stabilization of volume for loan signing requests.

9 Likes

Thank you all for the responses!

2 Likes

You’ve given sound advice.

2 Likes

Be patient, unfortunately, interest rates jump high in the last 2 months, and the market is really low. I have been a signing agent for some years already, and never I saw this situation before. I Hope, everything will go back to normal as before, soon.

4 Likes

The business isn’t dead, the ship has run aground. Until the financial tide rises the best I can offer is a different stream of income or fishing of the bow for GNW. Unfortunately the professors from 6-figure University didn’t teach us much about running a business, much less preparing notaries for shifting economics. The business has recently seen signing services go out of business and several lenders close up shop or merge with other lending institutions.

5 Likes

I acknowledge the industry as dead and the economy but darn if it isn’t time for my background check again. Spent the $99, and got a loan. Guess that pays for the background recert.

2 Likes

Same here. I cant wait to write everything off on my taxes.

3 Likes

Yes .Yes . Yes ,Yes .Yes . Yes.!

2 Likes

Gas in Ohio is $3.30 per gallon. Not sure where you are buying gas but the taxes aren’t THAT far apart.

The business isn’t dead these are words from individuals with a W-2 / Employee mindset. The individuals that are still troughting along well currently are the individuals with cemented relationships before the bottom fellout due to pandemic and others had other talents and leverage their opportunities in many other ways and diversifying their services in many other ways. These training systems such as LSS need to be ftank with individuals prior to them jumping into the business because many are upset to hear the best years has passed without notary placing forth any effort to make a living. Today’s economy requires some alot of hustle to make money.

6 Likes

California has special taxes and we pay more for a blend of gas in the summer that is less polluting. It’s $6 a gallon.

2 Likes

Julie,

If you don’t mind me asking…what type of area are you in?
Like, are you in a very “rural” area?

1 Like

I’m having the same problem!. my financial investment has been way more than anticipated and its been very discouraged because I’ve registered with at least 5 signing companies including SnapDocs, Notary Rotary as well and at this point I’m trying to stay optimistic but i sacrifice so much to endeavor in this field and so far its hasn’t been good for me either.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s all well and good because you operate a signing service and probably cherry pick the orders you want to do. How would you suggest I “work harder”, especially when I always do perfect work? Build relationships with title companies?? Please.

Incidentally, you say you did 9 signings on Friday??? I’ve heard that claim before. What kind of signings, if I may ask?

Nah, Bill, you’re not foolin’ me. And I don’t think I’m wrong. My facts hold up.

3 Likes

The industry is dead. The only notaries making money are the ones who own signing companies or teach notaries courses to make 6 figures

4 Likes

Hi.
I am getting assignments, but they are miles from my home and they are low ball offers. I have been advised to counter their offer, but there is no way of communicating with them except through text message. I am new at this game, but I am not desperate. I will start focusing more on GNW to make money.

3 Likes

Jawyand,

The statements made about the current environment are all true I’m afraid. I’ve started taking a lot of assignements I wouldn’t have touched earlier, and between those assignements and the occasional crappy evening running Uber deliveries (Once every couple weeks or so, usually early in the month), my income is only(???) down about 33%. Still, down 33% is better than a lot of other alternatives. When I got started in 2015 or so, it still took me close to a month to get my first assignment. Just keep accepting every job out there; even in this market you’ll eventually get a hit, and be glad you did.

1 Like