Is this business dying?

Well, I don’t want to make a million dollars like Bobby because then I have to worry about keeping the money safe! Having nothing to worry about is better! :grin:

I agree with you I can never go back to work in the corporate world either. This week I only gave back three orders and one of them was for my daughter who needed my help, it was only 4 minutes away! I gave the orders back a day before! Never last minute, always give back at least 1 day before so they can have enough time to re-assign.

Work when you want, and take time off when you! Freedom!

2 Likes

I don’t think Biden even understand what is happening. He’s just going with the flow…say or do whatever they tell him to repeat via his earpiece:) We are doomed…
:zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face:

6 Likes

Laughing out loud when I saw your “vehicle”

1 Like

OK, you’re right. I actually found something better!
This scooter has enough space for me to put my briefcase and donuts! :grin:

4 Likes

I was offered to do home inspections but the pay seems really low. Is it worth it? I’m guessing you have to do high volume to make it worthwhile.

This company was offering like $15 or $20 per inspection.

1 Like

I get those offers also but turn them down because they are often too far to travel. I typically do vehicle inspections which is more flexible with appointments and I am able to schedule them between my LSA assignments and have gotten up to 45$ depending on the area. For example today… I have one GNW and 2 VI All within 10 min drive of each other.

1 Like

Where do you find the vehicle inspections (I’m in Oklahoma)?

I was wondering as well the name of the company, if you don’t mind sharing. I’m in Texas.

https://wegolook.com/ is the company I contract with

1 Like

I WANT ONE! (In an area where there is no truck traffic…lol)

1 Like

Thank you very much for the reply!

1 Like

Sniff, sniff, They don’t want me.
"WeGoLook loves getting new Lookers all across the country, however, currently in your area we have a large Looker population. We have added you to our list of future Lookers in the area and will notify you as soon as a spot opens up. "

1 Like

Don’t get caught speeding now… lmao

1 Like

What is GNW? Not really sure

General Notary Work………

Thank you! Clears that up:):relieved:

This thread is titled, “Is this Business Dying?”. Well, think of other businesses that have died over the past decade and you may have your answer. Blockbuster, Kodak, Polaroid and Borders all come quickly to mind. Of course, there are countless others. In fact, 88% of all businesses that existed in 1955 are gone today. Does that surprise you? It shouldn’t because the “digitization” of everything has been the chief factor in the demise of those “goners” and the surface has only been scratched.

In the notary business, RON has crept in and influences much of the business today. Oh, I know, it doesn’t always work well, there are flaws and security issues, not everybody likes it, and so on. But there it is, looming on the horizon. But RON isn’t the only threat to traditional notary work. You can safely bet that someone is feverishly working on a digital method of accomplishing what we now do manually. It has to come, don’t you think?

Look, the government is trying to move us all into cryptocurrency and that will alter life as we now know it. By 2030, I’m afraid we’ll all be trading in digits and not dollars. Don’t believe me? Do some research on your own and see if you don’t agree. It’s coming and we cannot stop it.

If I’m right, is it not reasonable to think that an industry as relatively simple as the notary business will not be digitized in some fashion and probably centralized as well? Or, better still (depending upon your point of view), eliminated entirely? We will all be digitized in our identity and it will no longer be necessary to “validate” our identity documents or “authenticate” the signers of a document. In fact, documents won’t need to be “signed” at all. A digital “signature” (that is, a highly unique and trackable/traceable mark of some kind, kinda like a QR code) will be all that’s needed. And it’ll all be done remotely.

I predict that a quasi-governmental agency or some NGO will usurp our beloved industry and put 99% of us out of business within the next 5 years. So, the answer to the thread question is “YES”. Sadly.

For other hints, just look around you. These days, you can just tap your credit card on a little screen to make your purchase (also, face recognition and thumbprint identity). You probably carry very little currency (and no coins) around with you anymore. Everything is delivered to your door these days. Vacancies abound where retail stores used to be but are no longer around because you buy online. Pre-cooked meals are aplenty so no need to go to a restaurant where mediocre meals made by second-string cooks and served by uncaring wait staff for a family of four costs over $150 before cocktails are added. How about fuel? When gas costs $7 per gallon (in California by July 4th, I predict), who wants to even run to the store for groceries, let alone go on a notary run?

Nah, it’s coming, the end of the notary business as we know it. Everything is “resetting” whether we like it or not, and regardless of political viewpoint. So, what to do???

I would suggest that notaries follow one of two paths: 1) get on board with the electronic age stuff I’ve mentioned in this observation and find ways to advance your knowledge of digitization so you can apply what you’ve learned to the innovations that are coming; or, 2) begin today to seek opportunities in other venues that offer stimulating work that will take the place of the industries and vocations that will disappear in the next couple of years. Train, Train Train and build your skill set so that you won’t have to rely on an outmoded resume or a college degree that has become passé.

This is NOT a doom and gloom message I’m sending. It is a warning and call to action. Keep doing what you’re doing but spend time surveying the landscape and making ready for the profound changes that are just over the horizon. Don’t get caught unawares. When the changes come, they will come very fast and there will only remain the quick and the dead in the notary business.

Somebody had to say it. :innocent: I really do welcome opposing viewpoints on this one.

3 Likes

You are not wrong… we will all have to learn to change and meet the demands as the needs of our society changes. The Cryto thing is definitely a perfect example of this happening