It is not about you, a note on customer service

It is part of my directions to the client that if they have animals that they must be put away to ensure my safety. I have been bitten before by the "beloved family pet’ that could not ever bite anyone. Anyone willing to get bit is not very respectful of the client as that will lead to expensive litigation and other unpleasantries. Smoking and other extremely rude behaviors are not my responsibilities to control. If pets, smoke, and other distractions bother you then you are just human and these are things you should address to your satisfaction. It’s your business and you are providing the needed service.

5 Likes

Signing a ton of documents require peace and quiet and a lot of concentration, so how do you get that with a dog barking non-stop or licking or nibbling on your feet, or a crying baby or another child that wants mom’s constant attention or having a tv at full blast because Mr doesn’t want to miss a ball game ? Are you kidding me? You are a guest at their home, someone said, no I’m not, I’m there for business and it requires a business environment, I’m not their for entertainment, that’s what a Guest is usually there for. FYI, I’ve been doing this for 30 years and have very high marks with every company I’ve worked with; I was never shy to tell someone to please lower your tv so we can concentrate or to remove their dog if it starts chewing on my toes.

4 Likes

Some people are just rude and entitled and expect the world to change for them. If this is you. Then bestowing another job. I have been a real estate agent for over 36 years so it is nothing new to find offensive odors, pets and kids. I had pets, generally like them. I have had pesky dogs and those who sit on my feet. I have had to move the cat off the table. I even had a cockatoo who perched on my shoulder and popped down my backing! I had kids too and will just wait while parents take care of it, sometimes offering an extra pen and paper so they can sign too. I make them part of it since generally they are acting up to get attention. I have tried to make a space in a hoarder house. I have been in houses that smell so bad, I am glad to be wearing a mask.

Only bug a boo is the TV. I had a huge package with over 300 pages and two older ladies at a card table in their very cluttered and stale living room. They could not miss a minute if CNN lest the world change when they weren’t watching. I knew this was an important part of their lives as they rarely got out. One lady had a PHD in computer science and had taught school for 35 years. Now she watched CNN all day. I did ask them to turn it down as I am a bit hard of hearing and could not hear their questions, but they continued to watch. It added at least a1/2 hour or more as did the smoking breaks. I just hope I was not looking at my future.

Only other complaint is the heat. A lot of people do not have any AC where I live. But it does surprise me how many do not even have a fan and we’ve had a lot of extra almost 100 degree days. The mask makes it even harder to breathe and I use those little plastic cages underneath. I am often concerned to go from one signing to another with flat damp hair and sweaty clothes!!! I use gold bond or shower to shower, if it even helps. Don’t have an answer for that one!! Thinking of one of those tiny ACs that go on your neck!!

Bottom line here is to remember this is not about you or your comfort. If that bothers you, then maybe another job would be better.

3 Likes

I would not reach for my phone. I would simply pack up telling them this signing was not meant to be an argument and his bank would be in contact. Then skitter to my car.

1 Like

In response to all of the comments, I have picked up a few tips like asking before hand. It is difficult to do signings on a clipboard on your lap. I am lucky enough to have an office I can use and may just use it more often. Perhaps those with allergies or pet aversion could make arrangements to use an empty office space or even a room in your church. I use sanitizing spray before they get there.

2 Likes

I agree that we should be making every effort to accommodate signers requests especially during Covid19. I also never, ever make demands and someone else’s hone else’s house and threatened to leave. I work for the money and to provide extra level customer service and safety… I only ask that they are present to sign. In the Winter months I wear a heavy down jacket to every appointment so that I can complete the signing and get paid . That’s what it’s all about for me!! I am there to earn my living… So I am not going to anything that sabotage my $$.

3 Likes

I agree, for sure. Fortunately or perhaps unfortunately, I have both a strong sense of duty/completion and I’ve also had extensive experience with this kind of behavior in the past. Growing up and in the military.

Since there were no heavy objects on the table that could have been thrown at me and keeping in mind the signing company motto of getting a signing done ‘no matter what’, it was a last resort to reach for the phone where I was calculating the loss of future business from that particular signing company that I figured would be unsympathetic.

The signer’s behavior was unconscionable but as I said, I’ve been down that road before so if nothing else, it was, as we say in the military, ‘good training’, LOL.

There is a big difference between good service and over accommodation. I’ve entered homes that I would have mistaken for a crime scene bas solely on the smells, appearance, and “gunk” on the floors. I’ve had beloved pets rip my clothing, that same clothing that’s suppose to project a professional appearance. I’ve had animal jump on the signing table only to get spooked and bolt off scattering and shuffling 200 pages across the room. I’ve had a Cat climb on top of the document package and attempt to bite when the owner attempted to remove it. I’ve had signers that didn’t believe in tables or chairs and wanted to conduct the closing while sitting on the floor. I’ve had signers decide to have an outdoor signing…in July,in Central Texas…at 5 PM. They changed their minds after I confirmed is was an indoor signing. I cancelled this one.

If there’s the slightest hint of violence I’m out of there. I’ve been threatened with legal action by a signer who happened to be an attorney.

I’m not a guest in their home, I’m a professional they requested to close a legal transaction. I maintain a friendly, courteous and professional demeanor. However, I have minimum Each NSA has minimum standards that hold to.

Fortunately, most the vast majority of my engagements are not as I’ve described above.

1 Like

What posts are your reading from? I am on several Facebook pages for NSA and never saw any posts where NSA making these type of demands.

Animals do not bother me. I was a LEO for 25 years and dogs would run by me and bite the other police officers. Signers will either have already secured their animals in other rooms or will offer to do so. I always tell then not to do so, but they will do it anyway. At at recent signing there was such a large dog that the owner had a four feet high gate blocking the door to the room where we were signing. The dog kept barking and suddenly jumped over the gate. The owner got excited and warned me the dog was vicious with strangers. I just kept on with the signing. Dog finally came over, rested his head on my thigh and stayed there quietly for about fifteen minutes and then went to sleep under the table. The owner was astonished. Took 30 minutes to get all the dog hair off my trousers and jacket.

6 Likes

I would have done the same thing, we should not have to deal with crazy conditions like that. Covid or not, I could understand them demanding a mask or even to see a shot record card, but not sit in a winter wind storm.

I gently remind people that while they don’t mind the 45+ minutes it takes to sign the purchase and maybe also loan docs to buy a simple car, why would they not be willing to give their undivided attention to the most important financial transaction they will ever engage in - their home? That kinda sets the pace that maybe they should provide their full attention - and willingness. Last week, when I called to confirm an appointment time and location I couldn’t even get the husband to focus - let alone go over preliminaries for proper preparation (like confirm name spelling, confirm valid-up-to-date ids, to have id copies made prior, confirm appropriate signing accommodations, inform/remind to have all monetary transfers coordinated directly with lender (a rule in Virginia), etc.) because his household was in CHAOS! We ALL know what I’m talking about…crying babies, screeching children running in and out of the room. Let’s put it this way, if you can’t control your children in your home for a simple 5 minute phone call, I certainly don’t want to be there for an hour and a half! That’s not mean, it’s honest! This is a job, and they wouldn’t act like that in THEIR job - you can bet their kids would be provided appropriate distractionsAND be reminded to be on their BEST behavior with a visitor. What happened to teaching our children to actually be well-behaved!!! Oh, when I got off the phone I immediately called the signing agency and cancelled my involvement!!!

1 Like

I’ve had to do that!!! Numerous times when Covid first hit in March 2020 I was out in garages conducting signings on card tables with thermals on under my dress slacks and blankets (I brought - for ME) to keep ME warm. I remember the first time where it took 4 hours before I felt my toes again!!! What I found is that borrowers don’t think things thru when they proposed those barbaric conditions to sign under! I came prepared (thermals, blankets, gloves, ear muffs, masks) while they sat and froze their butts off!!! Most were too humiliated at treating someone with such indifference to go back into their houses to gear up for the 1+ hours it takes to sign the docs in full protective gear. But some you’d see them quickly slipping inside for a sweater or cup of hot coffee to hold onto!

1 Like

While leaving one closing when I passed the door leading to the back yard that the dog was on his hind legs looking thru the glass at me I said I liked dogs, and the owner said “yeah, but he wants to eat you!” Ok, then! You can be sure that I made quick for my car!

wow thats crazy. i have never heard of any notaries making demands for those things.

I agree, I do not believe that you should just “deal” with any conditions that arise. Anything affecting your safety, ability to do the job you are there to do, or that is offensive should be dealt with in a polite and professional manner. It just bothers me to read about an NSA going into somebody’s home and demanding things or really not giving the signer(s) a choice. We have a choice to take an assignment, why should they not get a choice to find an NSA that has no problems with pets, or a certain restaurant, or even smoking.

1 Like

Wow, that is crazy. Did they even try to make the situation better…like offer to get a heater, or bigger table?

Your response was almost poetic!

EXACTLY! I truly feel like some people forget that we are going into their HOME! I act the way I expect anybody that comes into my home to act. Essentially, that’s just asking permission (I.e. is it ok if I sit here and you two sit there and there?). Common courtesy.

1 Like

I would agree, I’m extremely sensitive to smell, if it’s something mild I’m okay with that but if it’s a bad smell I would request to sign outside or elsewhere. I provide accommodations and good customer service BUT in this work you have to maintain full control of the appointment from start to finish, from introduction to where’s a good space to sign to guiding the signing and wrapping up. If the TV is blasting I would request to have it turned down. I don’t mind pets and enjoy that part of the job but if the dog tries to eat the papers I would request for them to put their pet away, I go by each situation. I have to guard the documents so they’re returned in good condition. That might mean keeping open drinks away from spilling on the documents. I also wear a mask to each appointment. So much to think about at times but it’s situational.