Jurat Stamps

Same too you and Thank You!! :heart:

Yea I don’t think I’ll be saying that to a customer. I’ll let them know the difference between the two and they can decide from there! God knows if their lying :blush:

I did have someone take exception to those words - she was polite but she did say “well, I don’t believe in God, but whatever” and she stated everything was true; from that day on I dropped “so help you God”

I hope you are kidding. “Do you wish to swear to the truth of the…” IS NOT THE SAME AS “Do you swear to the…”. Please analyze what you wrote: “I wish I was young and pretty” IS NOT THE SAME AS “I AM YOUNG AND PRETTY”!!!

@dan_nsa read the entire thread/post; that is not the oath I administer; that is the question I ask them when they have to decide what certificate to use and they don’t know the difference between the two types.

2 Likes

No one ever said no so not a problem right now

I definitely ordered a jurat, acknowledgement, and certified copy stamps after ordering my commission stamps. They are in different colors and come in handy when needed, and lightweight.

1 Like

From a guide issued by the State of Florida a few years ago for an oath:

“An oath similar to one administered in court by a judge or bailiff would be sufficient. Or, you may simply ask, “Do you swear (or affirm) that the information contained in this document is true?””

No use of the words “under penalty of perjury” - that sounds like a CA thing to me…

JMO

Oklahoma has the same wording as Florida

Margaret, I think she is saying this is how you word the question about if they want an acknowledgment or a jurat certificate attached to their doc, since we can’t pick for them.

If they want a jurat, then they are swearing to the truth. After they chose a jurat then I say “Do you solemnly swear that all the information on this/these document(s) is/are true, to the best of your knowledge and belief, so help you God?”. Or “Do you solemnly affirm that all the information on this/these document(s) is/are true to the best of your knowledge and belief”?.

I ordered both a Jurat and and Acknowledgment stamp from Notary Rotary. I use the Jurat all the time in loan docs, since the lender does’t understand it the doc says they are under oath I can’t use the acknowledgment cert they gave me. Hope this helps!

I understood what she was saying, and thank you for posting the jurat.

If there is no notarial language on the document, then you should ask the signer what they prefer, an acknowledgement or a jurat and explain the difference so they can make their own decision. If it is an Acknowledgement, you would ask, “Do you acknowledge that you understand the contents of this document and that you are the person who signed it.”

If it is a jurat, then you should ask , “Do you want to do your oath swearing under God or affirming under your own name?” If it os under God, You would ask, " Do you solemnly swear that all the information in this document is accurate, complete, and true, so help you God? If so, say I do." If it is under their own name, then you would ask, “Do you solemnly affirm, under penalty of perjury, that all the information in this document is accurate, complete, and true to the best of your knowledge? If so, say I do.”

2 Likes

Why bring your god into it? I never make any assumptions that the Signer believes in the same God I do, a single or many gods. I stop after “so help you.”

Then you may be talking about affirming under penalty of perjury and not an oath, or you have an incomplete question that you are asking the signer. Could you please give an example of the language you use when doing a Jurat to help clarify your question for me? Please read through my original post and you will see the examples of how I do a Jurat. Thanks for your input.

Parker is correct. An Affirmation vs an Oath. They accomplish the same thing: compelling the Signer to tell the truth. An Affirmation relies on the Signer’s honor, whereas an Oath is a pledge to a god or supreme being. And which to use should really be left up to the Signer.

2 Likes