Jurat Stamps

I wonder if a jurat stamp would be helpful in doing general notary work when there’s no notary language… thoughts??
I’ve have a few where I have printed off an acknowledgment or jurat form but I’m wondering if a stamp would be useful in stances where there is room for one.

3 Likes

I had one…and the ack stamp…it was handy but very small

2 Likes

Years ago, before I ordered a separate stamp for acknowledgments and an additional separate stamp for jurats, I would often find myself handwriting the certificate text (from a template) when needed on GNW. It was tedious and time-consuming, so it was an easy decision to purchase stamps for these certificates.

3 Likes

I think I will go ahead and invest in one! Thank You so much!

Yes and thank you! I’m in Oklahoma but I will surely print out a definition for each one so the client can choose. In Oklahoma our notary guidebook is only 2 pages🤦🏾‍♀️. I’m thankful for the additional training I’ve received and forums like this.

1 Like

You really don’t need to print anything out as long as you know your notary laws - it’s simple:

“Do you wish to swear to the truth of the statements contained in this document? Or do you wish to acknowledge that you are signing this of your own free will for the purposes contained in the document?”

Short and sweet and to the point

8 Likes

I love that! Thank You!

1 Like

I’ve just found that, with my signers with that question, that simple blurb worked well; I can explain the difference in the certs til I’m blue in the face - I just can’t tell them which one to choose or which is best…the what but not the why

3 Likes

Thank you I have been looking for an easy way to perform a Jurat, you have helped me in so many ways you have no idea thank you thank you!

2 Likes

A perfect example of the benefits Cafe provides. Questions ? Post here and receive answers from experienced notes who are only too happy to help…Yep

3 Likes

I memorized mine by heart so it’s very easy for me to do. I received feedback from Judges, lawyers, etc that it’s authoritative and professional:)

Two ways I do:

1: If name/names easy to pronounce for example:
“Please raise you right hand.” (Client will raise hand)
“Do you affirm under penalty of perjury that you are, Jon Doe, and that you are the same person indicated within this document as well as shown on your driver’s license, and that you have read and understand the contents of what you are signing, and that you sign these documents of your own free will, so help you God?” (Client will say “yes”)

2: If name/names too long and/or hard to pronounce for example:
“Please raise you right hand.” (Client will raise hand)
“Do you affirm under penalty of perjury that you are the same person indicated within this document as well as shown on your driver’s license, and that you have read and understand the contents of what you are signing, and that you sign these documents of your own free will, so help you God?” (Client will say “yes”)

1 Like

The above replies are great examples of how to administer the oath upon which a jurat is completed. For the written jurat you do need to follow your state law requirements. For Florida they are:
"(4) When notarizing a signature, a notary public shall complete a jurat or notarial certificate in substantially the same form as those found in subsection (13). The jurat or certificate of acknowledgment shall contain the following elements:

(a) The venue stating the location of the notary public at the time of the notarization in the format, “State of Florida, County of .”

(b) The type of notarial act performed, an oath or an acknowledgment, evidenced by the words “sworn” or “acknowledged.”

(c) Whether the signer personally appeared before the notary public at the time of the notarization by physical presence or by means of audio-video communication technology as authorized under part II of this chapter.

(d) The exact date of the notarial act.

(e) The name of the person whose signature is being notarized. It is presumed, absent such specific notation by the notary public, that notarization is to all signatures.

(f) The specific type of identification the notary public is relying upon in identifying the signer, either based on personal knowledge or satisfactory evidence specified in subsection (5).

(g) The notary public’s official signature.

(h) The notary public’s name, which must be typed, printed, or stamped below the signature.

(i) The notary public’s official seal affixed below or to either side of the notary public’s signature."

The statutes then provide samples of “legally” acceptable jurats for different situations.

I have stamps for boh a Jurat and an Acknowledgment and they come in handy, I also have a stamp for my venue on the occasion when there’s notary language but the venue is missing! :wink:

2 Likes

Thank You! I think I’m going to go ahead and get both stamps.

1 Like

I recently called The NNA with a similar question regarding just wording. I was advised: when the wording is already on the document use your acknowledgement stamp. If the wording is not there use your jurat stamp. My advise is to always add an attachment of the jurat or acknowledgement if there is not enough room for your stamp.

1 Like

Please refer to NNA for your state requirements as other individuals commenting within this board state statues differ from your state.

2 Likes

Cheers to your prosperity, lovely!!

1 Like

Never Jurat stamps and Acknowledgement stamps. Most documents already have either the Acknowledgement language or Jurat language printed on them. Save the money and print your own Acknowledgement and Jurat certificates with your notary information already in place. Then, when you run into a document that doesn’t have the notarial statement on it, use the questions that @LindaH-FL recommends to help the signer decide which notarial act to choose. Fill out the matching certificate, add your seal, and staple it to their document. Clean and simple.

4 Likes

I carried the stamps because I ran into several occasions when there was no notarial language on the document and document preparer did not want a separate cert - they wanted the cert on the same page and the signatures…it was either use a neat stamp or try to print small enough and neat enough to pass muster.

2 Likes

What if the person takes offense to “so help you God” ? Thank you