Just an observation of irrational offers

Which seem to be all I’m getting from the platforms lately. This from a Title Co. yet:
A Refi way out of my service area for $100–which just so happens to be $6.20 more than the IRS deductible mileage allowed AND $5 less than my actual calculated-by-reality mileage cost. Forget about all the other hard costs involved. Plus this particular TC used to offer $150 for starters even if the location was 2 miles from home! Adding: I don’t take these. But, apparently, someone does.

THIS is why you’ve got to do a lot of thinking & calculations BEFORE you accept that signing!

6 Likes

I’ve decided to refrain from taking any work until significant changes in the marketplace. Certain signing offers have been published as low as $25.00 in my area. It common to see scan backs being required in $35.00 offers. I assume someone is taking these lowball offers. As for me, the business is unprofitable through previous signing app channels…I’ve done 4 closings in 7 months. I used to have 16 per week! I think it is best to wait this out and stop subsidizing others with free labor.

I have seen some of those ridiculous offers for $25. If they are broadcasted with an area to respond, I send them a response something to the effect “Are you really serious? Does not cover overhead to go out the door.” Then I post my standard fee for the area covered. At that low of a fee, don’t care if they reach out to me again but did share my thoughts. Sure someone else accepted offer and will eventually figure out they are not making a profit. I’ve been fortunate to stay busy but business down 40% from few years back. Good luck!

Business is down for all of us but like you, I will not compromise my principles to accept ridiculous offers as we have been seeing lately.

I took a low paying HELOC close to home for fifty dollars. I usually turn down these offers. It turns out that is a good reason. They had a cost sheet in the HELOC which discloses fees paid by lender on behalf of borrower. The notary fee was $135.00 The notary signing agent split is 85/50 in favor of the signing service. This needs to change. This is the last time I accept this kind of deal.

1 Like

“The notary signing agent split is 85/50 in favor of the signing service.”
And will continue to be just so until we learn to value our time, expenses for what they really are. They do (& pocket what we don’t–our profit!)

1 Like

I just had one that I TOOK, after discussing the fees, requirements and distance and had it increased to what I considered acceptable… Closing docs in, Notary fee listed is $400, Closing Fee is listed $695, (and all the other title fees so they were not included.) I feel even more abused. But they took off the scan requirements, so that will save me at least 20 minutes of dawdling :slightly_frowning_face: But then, I appreciate they even considered negotiating. So many I am seeing going out at $75 with all the req’s.

1 Like