Keep Signing up with services?

Hello!

I am a brand new signing agent. I completed everything through NNA, but only discovered once I went to sign up for snapdocs that since I live in IN, there is a whole other certification I need to get (Title Producers License). There are only a couple of states that require it. I am signed up with several of the notary databases, but had completed info with a few signing services. too Should I email these signing services and tell them I don’t have the license yet? (I signed up for an in person class next week, so I should fix the situation fairly quickly. ) Just wondering? I’d hate to get started off on the wrong foot fresh out of the gate.

1 Like

I am in Maryland so we need a TIP as well. As far as I know (from MD law) you CANNOT legally handle the closing of a home without a TIP. What you absolutely need this for is the Deed of Trust/Mortgages paperwork. I do not know how they didn’t ask for your TIP license or license number or even spot it was not present on those documents. I am not a lawyer but I would definitely seek the advice of one because it may mean their DOT and mortgage document has to be resigned with a TIP licensed signing agent. Consult your state laws on this though we all make mistakes hopefully they understand. Best of luck.

1 Like

Until you get your TIP and whatever bond your state needs with that I would not handle any more signings.

1 Like

@vanzornink Welcome to the Notary Cafe forum!

Yes, as a professional, you should.

You’ll also want to perform some additional research regarding the difficulty level of completing the Title Producer License [TPL] training, examination, certification, fees, etc. BEFORE you reach out to the companies you’ve already signed up for . . .

The reason you’ll want to perform the research prior to reaching out is that you need to assemble a realistic date that you’re anticipating to have all the requirements completed.

======

I’ve also linked a few other threads to you that you’ll find insightful & helpful!

:swan:

@vanzornink P.S. It’s always wise to research & vet a new client prior to providing a definitive confirmation to them for your initial Signing Order for them. A great start of research would begin within the Notary Cafe forums Search Function.

To be helpful, I’ve inserted an image for you & others [see below] to help members locate it to unlock the wisdom & knowledge of other members on the forums.

Accessing the database to locate info about potential clients has saved many of us an inordinate amount of time ‘chasing’ payments for Services professionally provided to potential non-payers . . .

:swan:

1 Like

Hello. I am also an IN Notary/Signing Agent. These places you signed up should have asked you for your Title License or should ask you for that credential before sending you out on any signings. That will also make them liable. I took the online course which was a 10 hr course through License Applications | Sircon powered by Vertafore although you said you have already signed up for in class. I’m not sure how fast in class is but the on-line was I think around $365 for the course then maybe another $50 for the license fee itself after completing the course and applying for the license but it was fast after that because it was digitally sent to me through the website and e-mailed to me but be sure you get the license with the stamp on it because the signing companies will only accept that one. It’s been awhile since I went through it but then every 3 yrs. you have to take a 7 hr. CE course. Mine is coming up for that in November. Not sure about the pricing on that this yr. yet but I will for sure do it on-line again since it is so convenient and fast. If you have any questions, go ahead and ask! Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I haven’t handled any signings yet. I am early in the process, i.e. signing up for databases which I thought I was ready for after the commission, NNA background check, cert, insurance, bond etc.

Snapdocs is the first database to explicitly ask for the TIP. I continued researching after I read that on Snapdocs. I, of course, won’t accept anything other than general notary work for the time being. But I received an email from Snapdocs saying “Your credentials have been certified!” so I was worried I might start getting sent signings from companies without it.

Yes, I have an in-person class on Saturday. I decided to do it in-person mostly to have a real person to ask questions of. I’ve been largely doing everything online and the learning curve is large.

Mostly I’ve just signed up for the databases like Snapdocs, notarydash, signingorder, this one. Only a couple of actual signing services so far, but Snapdocs made me nervous about it after their “Your credentials are certified!” message.

I thought maybe my profile might go into limbo until I uploaded the TIP or something like that. I just don’t want to get offered signings and be considered “unavailable” before I get started.

They should eventually flag that but if not, the company that is sending the assignment through them should ask for that credential on their own also anyway.

1 Like

Thank you! I was mostly just wondering if they would actually offer me anything until the TIP was there. ( I thought maybe the profile might just be put “on hold” until all the documents were uploaded). I definitely wouldn’t accept anything until everything I taken care of, and certainly wasn’t trying to misrepresent myself as having it. I will get in touch with the places where I’ve signed up so far to make sure no assumptions are made.

1 Like

I found out about the TIP the hard way too! I thought I was all done and said through the NNA and saw my state exemption. It delayed me about a month just to get through the course material, wait for the test date, wait for the license number. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you. I was trying to figure out how I missed such a huge component. But it definitely wasn’t covered in the training I’ve done so far :woman_facepalming:

Sad to say, the NNA is notorious for this - they certify many notaries in states where either the notary can’t do the signings or they are required to obtain more credentials, which they never disclose. Guess they figure if you’re willing to spend the money then they’re happy to oblige in taking it.

It’s sad. There are several threads here where the same thing happened - the notary found out after the fact.

2 Likes

NNA just provides you with their seal approval. They just teach you what a notary can’t/shouldn’t do.

Every state has their own individual requirements to become a notary. Some states require you to be an attorney. Some states only allow certain signings to happen in front of witness or attorneys. States have different requirements for their notary block.

I learned by reading my states notary handbook that notary’s are not allowed to handle funds for any signings.

1 Like

If your getting your license work done next week, than don’t take any signing’s until you get the certificate, it sounds like you haven’t done signings yet, don’t sweat it, when you get your certificate just upload it to your profile on the SS sites that you signed up with

1 Like

Just dont accept assignments, citing time availability. That way you do not have to explain. They dont care. Once you are certified. You can accept assigments. Ive had a lot of health issues in the last year and i simply said , Thanks, but my schedule is full this week.

1 Like

Thank you. This sounds like an easy way to handle it, especially since I’ll be taking the TIP class in a couple days.

Sounds good. I go to the TIP class in a couple days.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.