Let's Have Fun... Breaking The Ice

Tell about some funny things you do at the signing table, I’ll go first…

When I explain the Mortgage docs I’ll say, “These next set of documents is your Mortgage. If you have any trouble falling asleep at night, grab these and start reading them… You won’t make it past the first 2 pages.” Always gets a laugh, even with the toughest of signers. :rofl:

26 Likes

I use that too and you’re right, people always laugh.

3 Likes

Agree, I use similar verbiage…always works for a laugh! Thank for sharing!

4 Likes

Haha ha…one lady wanted to read all of it while I was there, I had to be patient and convince her to do it in her own time…

2 Likes

With all due respect, As professional Notary Signing Agents, we are contracted or sub-contracted to represent the Lender, Title or Escrow in the most appropriate, professional and ethical way by being fully versed in the purpose of each document as we present to buyers, seller, borrowers, etc. We go to the signers’ house or meet them at some other location for one reason only and that is that they could not or preferred no to go to office to sign their documents.
I frequently sign at title, escrow, builder or lender offices, and if I presented the 13-15 page Deed of Trust or Mortgage documents in the manner that you mentioned as a sleep inducer and if it was heard by an escrow officer or lender representative, for fact, that signing would be my last!
I would strongly advise any NSA to refrain from having “fun” at a signing and commit to display your knowledge of each document by briefly explaining the “purpose” of it.
And remember, signing companies conduct feedback surveys not to find out if the NSA had “fun” but if he or she represented the lender in most professional manner. :wink:
May the force be with you.

6 Likes

On the Right to Cancel I say if you want to move forward with the signing after explaining when they can cancel of they decide it’s not the right move and when they say let’s move forward I then explain we are going to think outside the box. They chuckle because everything is so serious if breaks up the monotony

1 Like

Most of my signings require blue ink. I tell the story of a couple who I asked to use a blue pens when they sign the documents because that was required. That didn’t work because I once had signers who very proudly had blue pens. However, when the borrower signed the documents, the pen was a blue color, but the ink was black. So now I ask for a blue ink pen. Anyway, this story gives my borrowers a real laugh.

3 Likes

Shahab, You can be professional and have fun at the same time. Nobody said the docs weren’t being explained in a professional manner… lighten up and have fun sheeeeeeesh lol

8 Likes

I use that too. But the ones where they really laugh is when I get to the Amortization Schedule. I say “and this is the Dreaded Amortization Schedule” and it always gets a laugh and even some joking around.

3 Likes

On the Marital Status Affidavit, I always tell them it’s “Pop Quiz time”. For some reason, no one ever remembers their wedding date. One party is always asking the other. So I tell them it’s a Pop Quiz, and no copying. If they ask the other party for help, I tell them they flunked. J/K! LOL!

5 Likes

I usually get a laugh when I get to the Federal fraud statement. I pull it out and say, "Hey fraud is a crime guys, " and they usually say no way and bust out laughing and sign.

6 Likes

My icebreakers/jokes never go over well so I seldom take that route. Some people have a built-in personality feature that can ease the tension in any situation. Guess its a matter of gauging the client and knowing if you can pull the humor off or not.

2 Likes

I’ve actually used the “fall asleep” line on many escrow officers and mortgage professionals during their own personal closings, and they always chuckle and agree. Some even add on by saying, “It’s almost like you have to be a lawyer to read these darn things!”.

It really just depends who the signer is. If they are more business-like; i.e., serious, I will keep my professional demeanor through to the end of the closing. However, if a young couple is buying their first home and are excited for the closing, I don’t like to dampen the excitement by being a “stick-in-the-mud”. Of course I don’t cross any professional or ethical boundries, but we will have a good time and leave the signing table happy.

4 Likes

Jeff, too funny. I do the same thing. I also wear a mask that has “Today’s date: xx/xx/xxxx”. I recycle (wash) my mask and use both sides. The “Today’s Date:” is in permanent marker and the date itself is in dark highlighter, which washes off, so I can reuse the mask until it starts looking filthy, even though its clean. Signers love my mask! That’s my story. Thank you for this fun exercise.

4 Likes

Oh! One more. When the credit scores come out. I make it fun too. I tell the “winner” that they have copies of their docs, so they can frame it if they want too. Everyone has enjoyed that. Of course, when the scores are low, I do not go there. Fortunately, 90% of my signers have great credit scores.

1 Like

Since Covid came on the scene, I found decent pens had my biz name and phone printed on them and they are my gift to the signer (biz write-off). (Blue ink 99% of the time). No more problems and people can always use another pen!

4 Likes

I wish I could agree with you Shahab, your signings sound cold and like you’re trying way too hard to be “professional”. You can be professional but still show humor at times when appropriate. I do myself and get rave reviews and my signings have a 100% accuracy rate too. No need to be a stick-in-the mud. One easy grin is when handing them their 8 page Amortization to sign is to say something like ‘also a great cure for insomnia… read it when you can’t get to sleep’. Signers like it when a signing is made a little more enjoyable by a LSA who isn’t trying to prove how “professional” he/she is.

6 Likes

Two that I have commented on are

1. FBI fraud notice. I state “This is a reminder from your friendly FBI to not commit mortgage fraud”.
  2. Amortization Schedule. For a 30 year closing, I state, “Here is the Amortization Schedule. The bad news is that (pointing to the first payment) they front-load the interest. The good news is (pointing to the last payment) this only last for 360 months”. I substitute the months for whatever term the loan is for.
3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Genius!!! Wow so funny.

2 Likes

:rofl:Good one lol!!!