Loan Signing Program Benefits

Right now, it seems there is a push toward the mobile notary agent opportunity as a business and stream of income in COVID-19 times. The low interest rates are helping tremendously, but what truly is the benefit of signing up for a loan signing program. We know the program authors are offering to help navigate the landscape of being a notary signing agent, but obviously for a cost. What do you, “ the notary signing agent” benefit from it? Should you start a program as a new person, after you have obtained some experience or as a veteran?

There is Notary2Pro, Loan Signing System, Thrive and Sign, NSA Blueprint, but are there any state specific programs?

I am sure these authors all began with noble intentions, but the notary signing industry isn’t really regulated with certifications/licensing from SOS, Dept. of Insurance or FTC. Who really regulates and establish standards and expectations.

They say the “industry” recognizes these programs. If so, which one, why, and for what purpose. You can get loan signings with the NNA certification. Many say, yes, but the NNA does not “perform loan signings”…true…,but each of these program authors could not effectively perform them in all 50 states either.

What is the real deal and what is really going on?

What does a Notary2Pro, LSS, NSA Bluprint certification really mean and do for the notary signing agent?

Bottom line, which program can cost effectively improve your notary signing agent skills and increase the number of quality signing orders you will receive? Which notary signing agent badge gets the attention of the title companies in your state. We are all in it to be profitable and proficient …not just busy.

1 Like

First off, this “profession” has been around for 20 years or better. There is no new “push”. So not quite sure what you’re referring to here.

As for what these named programs offer - it’s really simple. Their courses and training reassure hiring parties that the notary they are intending to contract with has SOME sort of training in loan signings. Some training programs are better than others - some more accepted than others. NNA has managed to convince most of the industry leaders that they are the cream of the crop and no other training should be accepted - well, that’s up for debate, and my personal experience says otherwise.

That said - without formal training of some type you’ll have a difficult time convincing any hiring party to give you assignments. It’s kind of like any other profession - you want someone who’s licensed and accredited in their field…same with signing agents.

Hope this helps a bit and is what you were looking for.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply…the “push” I was referring to is for the notary signing agent training. Not the push for notaries in the industry.

Ok, so NNA has notaries and the industry “convinced”. But there is “no “ licensing/accreditation for notary signing agents.If so, there would be one governing/regulating agency like SOS. So which notary signing agent program certification helps you become more proficient and profitable? If NNA is not “it”, which one is? Where do you go to find unbiased reviews, ratings and rankings on the notary signing agent programs from the industry that is helping the notary signing agent succeed? Not the notary signing program “author”. You would think if there is this need, mentors and those that succeed in the industry would deliver their program through EdX or something…help the notary signing agent get their first 2-5 signings as “results-oriented” training and then take a percentage from the notary signing agent’s signings as payment. That way, you would know the program authors/mentor is all about helping the notary signing agent. If this is a hands-on/experience oriented business, then the success indicator would be the number of profitable notary signing agents they educate. Mr./Ms. notary signing agent program; you help me get 10 signings at $100 each my first week to month in your program, you take $250-$500 total for your training… then the notary signing agent and the program has succeeded. I went out and made $175 on my first signing and $1000 in my first week and a half with only my NNA certification in hand; so for me, NNA has a proven results-oriented track record. BUT, I did see there were many areas to improve in…trying to find out…which training will afford me better results and professional development?

1 Like

I always recommend Notary2Pro - (and I do not work for them nor have I taken their training) - from forum reviews and research, it appears their program is very good, they have “post-graduate” support, and they have a database of companies that accept their graduates and help them get the experience they need.

That said, and for clarification, I say that from only reading forums – when I started it was after a 25 year career as a real estate closing paralegal; I knew the system inside and out; I did the NNA certification only because that was the easiest way for me at the time - I was transferring from CT to FL and had them handle everything…all done online. I stopped being a member a long time ago…my profiles put emphasis on my hands-on experience with loan closings and all documents. I can’t say my NNA cert got me anywhere…but my know-how did…I was a signing agent from 2006 until 2013 when I stopped doing loan signings (other factors there not relevant)

If I were to get back into the market - and I have recently thought about it - I would go to Notary2Pro and ask them about a refresher course as some documents have changed since my last signing.

JME and JMO

3 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate the honesty and transparency…

1 Like

Actually, if you made $175 on your first signing & $1000 your first week, you don’t need to pay anyone for training as you’re already doing better than (probably 99%) of newbs. I’ve not taken any training as it wasn’t around when I started over 26 years ago, but, from what I’ve seen & heard, each of the programs you mentioned has their good and bad points. But none will guarantee you work because they aren’t ‘hiring parties’. You can probably learn what you might be missing by reading this forum & getting listed in the very few good directories. NNA’s is so randomized as to be nearly worthless, but it is good for newbs for a brief time as it lists them first…but there are always more newbs~~

5 Likes

Didn’t see this or I would have responded…how many signings did you have to do to make that additional $825? Arichter is right - if you’re getting $175 consistently, no other training should be needed and yes, you’re doing better than most new folks. However if you feel you want more training, then I stand by my statement of Notary2Pro.

Also, I’d ask, in light of those fees - what is your background. That may be your leg up in everything

1 Like

“I am sure these authors all began with noble intentions, but the notary signing industry isn’t really regulated with certifications/licensing from SOS, Dept. of Insurance or FTC. Who really regulates and establish standards and expectations”

I believe that it’s a matter of time that someone like the SOS, FTC, etc will regulate and then gonna start making everyone have master’s degrees and continuing education credits every year. I have a bachelor degree in business administration with 3.85 and cannot find a job in my field since 2016( still paying on it). Then I was blessed to come across the LSS and got most of my training and knowledge from that course. It was very affordable. I was glad it wasn’t regulated because I don’t need anymore debt trying to get another degree and pay for education credits each year like I had to do when I was a Registered Respiratory Therapist ( retired it in 2018)
Please don’t give SOS, FTC, any ideas to make me have to spend more money and get a degree of some sort and continuing education units. This is a good and interesting post.

4 Likes

If anyone was going to regulate this industry, the CFPB would have done it - and they did enough damage to us while they were in force…the result of the CFPB is NNA’s SPW (?) guidelines for a notary public - they’re standards and procedures - …which some take as law but it’s not.

1 Like

I’m sorry but what is the CFPB? Thanks.

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - headed by a former NNA executive and was a branch of the government tasked with mortgage reform - to do away with some of the underhanded practices that were going on - they were dissolved a couple/few years ago. But if anyone was going to regulate, IMO it would have been them

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/

1 Like

Thanks for your input. I am a newb :slightly_smiling_face:. You mentioned getting listed in “the very few good directories”, would you mind listing one or two of them? I’m trying to get an assignment and so far, I haven’t had any luck (assignments) with Snapdocs. Thanks again!

1 Like

I focused on number of days and hours since I do this during non-traditional hours. I worked 4 days during the week and a Sat; so 7-8 total appts. All of them were not $175 obviously, but I guess I averaged a little over $120 each. I find same day signings were more hectic but will pay more.

I was a paralegal in the preforeclosure/title/title litigation division for three years in a law firm; but that didn’t seem to matter. Same day availability seemed to matter more ( of course that was my initial impression). I think I am looking to find more signing services for more diverse opportunities AND one that will be more transparent about the number of pages and type of loan signing. These were all HELOC and refinance. But you could get blindsided by a 400 page condo refinance because of all the riders. I would like to know that up front. Not even so much for the price, but that is an 800 page print job with borrower’s copy and lots of explaining to the borrowers because they were shocked as well. That was a borrower/co-borrower 2 1/2 hr signing with lots of calls to the escrow officer after 8 pm on a weeknight.

I started with SnapDocs. Did you go through all of their verifiers and take their quiz? I am also seeking a diverse portfolio of signing services. I saw this posted on LoanStars website recently: https://www.notarystars.com/hiring-companies

I am going to start working the list.

I also know Notary Cafe and notary123.com will list best and worst signing services based on notary signing agent feedback.

Tell me what your research locates as well.

Much success!

2 Likes

I guess some consistency would make info on an industry standard notary signing agent training program more reliable and would feel as if the best interest of the notary signing agent was a priority.

We can hope.

Very nice. A Richter is right…you’re good to go!!

Notary Stars list is a mix of good/bad & ugly. Check out Notary Rotary for each co’s rating by your peers…believe them.
They did have some very informative tips for each co. Pay attention to those. I also want to add that I always get considerably more $ than they give as an ‘average fee’…NEGOTIATE is the name of the game.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing that wisdom.

Unfortunately, the only consistency in this biz is a total lack of consistency. As to ‘number of pages’…signing services really don’t know, but they usually have an ‘educated guess’ (& usually go low–and you should always guesstimate higher when quoting). Also, if a pkg. comes in with a considerably higher page count than you were told, re-negotiate fee immediately before printing. Scanbacks is another consistency issue; some will tell you; many won’t, so ASK.

2 Likes

I was an escrow officer for 25 years and was certified as a loan signing agent with NNA but wasn’t getting any business. A friend of mine that did not have the experience I have was making a lot of money through the Loan Signing Service with Mark Wills. I watched a lot of his videos and finally did his program and took the test and was certified with LSS. I learned so much from his training and how to get the business I started making money right after that. I only do it part time because of some health problems but a friend has made $10,000 2 months in a row. There are many big success stories and so much support with our Facebook private group, Mentorship and always people helping. And Mark does a live video every 2 weeks.

1 Like