Minnesota Closing Agent

I am getting conflicting information on what exactly I need to be a closing agent in Minnesota. I live on the border of MN and Iowa and have been doing signings in Iowa but wanted to head North to double the amount of coverage. Some places say I need to take an additional course and pay $120. The NNA website reads I have done everything needed .

Is this the same course I took through NNA so I am good to go or do I need to pay MN and take another 8 hour course. I already payed $120 to be a notary. It is another $20 to perform notarial acts in each county that I service.

You need to be a licensed closer in MN - try the MN licensing department (I forget the exact name of the agency) - but yes, you must train then obtain become a licensed Minnesota Real Estate Closer. Sorry to tell you the NNA is wrong.

Also, make sure both states allow you to be dual commissioned - especially checking the residency requirements for MN for a notary commission and the real estate closer license.

Try this and Good luck



Found this too - from the MN Dept of Commerce

Info obtained from the MN SOS

Hope all of this helps you.


My apologies, Troy. I stand corrected. @LindaH-FL Linda is right about the closing agent license requirement for Minnesota Closing Agent

Minnesota requires a closing agent license.

Sorry I was just assuming dual license notary public. In which case, when you apply for your notary commission in Minnesota, let them know in your application that you reside on the border of Iowa and intend to do signings in both states, and that you will follow each states’ laws.

MINNESOTA: Minnesota Secretary Of State - Notary FAQ
How do I obtain a notary commission?

  1. Complete the Notary Application
  2. Sign and submit to the Minnesota Secretary’s office with payment.

The applicant must be at least 18 years of age. Applicant must be either a Minnesota resident, or a resident of a county in IA, ND, SD or WI and list the Minnesota County he or she will be filing in upon receiving their commission. Non-resident notary applicants must designate the Secretary of State as their agent for service of process.

IOWA: About Notaries
check out the FAQs https://sos.iowa.gov/notaries/pdf/notfaq.pdf
What are the qualifications to be a notary?
To be a notary a person a person must:
• be at least 18 years old;
• be a citizen or permanent resident of
the U.S.;
• not be disqualified to be a notary under
Iowa Code section 9B.23;
• be a resident of the state of Iowa or a
resident of a state bordering Iowa if their
place of work or business is in Iowa;

Minnesota application: https://www.sos.state.mn.us/media/1990/notaryapplication.pdf
Iowa application: https://sos.iowa.gov/business/pdf/applicant.pdf

Become a Minnesota notary $120
Register your commission in the closed county $20 (no need to register in other MN Counties)
And, yes, you do need a closers license to be able to notarize real estate documents in Minnesota. You can take the class through real estate training companies. The class is way more comprehensive than the class through the NNA and it is based on Minnesota law only. It is available online for around $150.
Once you receive the course completion certificate, it needs to be registered with the state through PulsePortal $115.
I hope this helps.

1 Like

I think I know the answer to this but here goes… Do I need to take the classes for refi’s also or can I start notarizing refis now. Missing out on refi signings because of these restrictions.