More Industry Changes

Please don’t feel bad. There are a lot of notaries who aren’t getting work. I was doing great until summer of 2022. I was getting approximately one signing per week, if that. I decided to reinvent myself. I took a course in insurance and now I sell insurance. I don’t have to leave my home. Everything is done over the phone and computer. I have made more in an hour than I made in a week last year. Of course every day is different but I don’t have any overhead at all. I don’t have to drive out in the snow and ice. No tires that are constantly needed, no too often-needed oil changes and tune ups. The course was a monster but I passed it first time and I’m loving my transition. I’m not trying to discourage you but the struggle is real in the notary business.

3 Likes

WOW ! That’s great. Great great great

1 Like

Do you have any information or could you send it to me separately what course you took?

Amen! Believer to Believer!! I’m in full time ministry and do notary work to pay bills. I’ve diversified , was paid $100 for a property inspection video , I found a finger print notary and added her to my website and Google page. I’m in Notarize now for RON. I even started an online course for signing agents. The money is there just have to go above and beyond in this season but the provision is there sis!

The business is alot slower but there is still plenty of opportunities, you just have to market and network harder. Work from signing co and title companies was easy befor 2023 and you didnt have to put much effort into getting work.

What I do , pay for Google ads, go to SBA and Chamber of Commerce meetings/events, add services such as fingerprinting , reach out to companies that I am a vendor for already, put business cards everywhere weekly and get more knowledge on notary policy/ regulation (the more you know, the more you have to offer customers/ companies).

Some places have thier go to notaries, you have to find that place that don’t, so start with new businesses, real estate agencies or nursing homes.

One of the key elements is the local markets. Not every market is the same others. Some markets are over saturated with Notaries which has watered down both fees and engagements. Currently Texas has more notaries than any other state in the union [1 notary per every 60 residents].

Thanks for your reply, I totally agree.

While I appreciate all the comments, encouragement and suggestions from everyone in this forum, the market you are in is a determining factor.

1 Like

Thank you for you suggestions. I have done or am doing several of them including the expansion of my services by adding fingerprinting and field inspections. I am also currently learning the Apostille process, so I can add this service as well.

You’re right, the pool of preferred notaries is deep, I need to meet people, and I will start with my local SBA and COC.

How’has Google ads added value and helped to increase your bottom line?

Thanks for the suggestions Sis. I have diversified my services.

What state are you in? I did a field inspection and uploaded pictures and only received $25 for the 38 mile trip. When I called to negotiate the price, I was told they couldn’t pay any more than $25. I don’t accept anymore of their requests. My business is not a gig or side hustle, and I have a mortgage to maintain.

I am continuing with my business, but also using discernment and looking for other non-notary work to bring in income. i continue to trust God to direct and guide my path and open the right doors for me. Peace & Blessings!

1 Like

Just checking in. How are you doing?

Your welcome ! So they found me on Google , I’m not apart of any inspection websites. Now I’m adding the service to my website , hey shoot me an email let’s chat ! Admin@signetmnotary.net

I knew the Refi rush was gong to end at some point. I was hoping that point would have been further in the future. In 2019 I started Tax Preparation as a side hustle. Today it’s now my main business.

If anyone claims they’re making a living in this business, ask to see their form 1040 Schedule C.

1 Like

I had a Notary in North Austin, Tx, call asking for advice. While he seems like a nice guy, I hope I was able to give him a reality check.

1 Like

Great advice ! I concur

Teaching in a classroom is a gift and a calling, I’ll tell you that much. Everyone can’t do it and I have no desire to do such.

So many people got in for the Refi Boom and then stepped aside. For those that really want to make it in this business you can still do it and make it. Keeping a positive attitude and knowing your value and willing to take the signing that others will turn down will assist you greatly. I am still making a decent living and no you do not need to see my Schedule C. I absolutely love what I do and will keep working in the downturn market. Staying power…

3 Likes

We have an over abundance of notaries in Texas. Last good estimates puts the number at 500,000 notaries. With a population of 30 million, that’s about 1 Notary per 60 residents.

I just received a request for a $75 equity refi closing, that has a round trip of 75 miles. In addition to travel and time, $50 of that $75 as to go to rent the conference room at an attorney’s office to legally close the equity loan.

Just wow on the number of Notaries. Do you have to rent space to close a loan. I am in AZ and we do not need an Attorney to close. If I do not go to their home we meet at a Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. I actually prefer McDonalds as the tables are larger and the noise is not as loud as a Starbucks.

I wish you the Best. You definetly live in an over saturated Market.

I have attached a Census report that is on the NNA website. Hopefully the next Census will bring the Notary population down.
NNA Notary Census

1 Like

Let me clarify, Texas does not require attorney closings. Under the Texas constitution any cash out loan [HELOC, cash out refi, cash back reverse mortgage, etc] has to close in a lender’s, Title Company’s, or law office. An attorney doesn’t need to be present. It’s one of the quirks in Texas. Lenders and TCs don’t extend this courtesy to the competition. This leaves using renting law office conference rooms. The cost for this is $50, which NSAs add to the fees schedule.

I’ve got the same chart that I crossed with the SoS office. We’re estimating there are closer to 500,000 notaries. Since Texas Notary commissions run for four years, we won’t start seeing a decline until 2024. Most the current commissions for NSAs didn’t manifest until late 2021 this will push the number NSAs dropping out further into the future. I’m still being contacted by nubies asking for help. I’ve had to inform them that the current slow down is likely to last another years.