My advice to anyone who signs as a sole income

They are getting a little desperate out there. I actually got a call from an SS to do a job an hour away and they accepted my $170 request. It only has 16 pages! I’ve noticed alot of people are opening up lines of credit (HELOC’s).

5 Likes

Go get that money… It’s a win-win… they need you and you need the money. :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

OH! I have a commercial printer, so can print docs from my phone and they’re ready for me to dash in, grab 'em, and dash back out. When I am booking my signings, I always pay attention to the zip code before accepting last minute requests of course, to be sure I have the time to go home and pick them up. Honestly, I don’t have have too many issues with docs being late (not sure how I got so lucky) but it has come up a few times, yes - but I somehow manage.

One more thing I’ve learned is that, I can almost always move the appointment time around a bit from the original request. For example, if I see one for 1:00 p.m. and have a spot at 2:00 or even 11:00 am available, I will still grab it. To confirm, I always text - saved my hide many times when I forgot to write it down in my appointment book (and yes, I carry one still - it’s impossible to book yourself tightly unless you have that book right next to you at all times, E Calendars don’t work for this business) and here’s my standard text…lets assume the request is for 2:00, but I have a signing at 1:30 so can’t get there until 3… I send this:

Hello, my name is Angela Nuno, and I am a certified loan signing agent and notary public. I received a request to assist you with getting your loan documents signed Tuesday, January 4 at 3:00 p.m. I will be bringing your documents to (ADDRESS), and this will take about 45 minutes to an hour. Please confirm this day and time work for you, and thank you!

I figured out a long time ago that, if they can sign at 2:00, this usually means they are working from home and/or they have a bit of flexibility because they are expecting to sign. I can count on one hand how many times this wouldn’t work out out of hundreds of signings - they always say “GREAT!”.

So don’t be afraid to move the signing time around a bit…TELL THEM what time YOU will be there.
:slight_smile: And no, SS’s and title companies don’t care, they just want them signed. I’ve mentored 2 or 3 newbies and taught them this trick…it really maximizes your time and of course, your pocketbook. I took a signing last night sent to me yesterday morning, they wanted to sign at 5:00 - I couldn’t get there until 6, and so that is what I told them when I confirmed. I don’t give them options - I just tell them. Keep in mind, these folks want to sign these docs. They want the lower interest rate/lower payment/cash out/HELOC/to sell their property/to buy their house!!! so they’ll pretty much do whatever they need to. :slight_smile:

I’m doing 4 on Saturday, and I moved them all around to be able to do so. Works for me!

Ohhh I bet you saw this coming then! It hits us notaries about a month afterwards (trailing transactions locked in at the lower rate before the hike). Great information from you, “insider info”! Let us know if you see anything that helps us to know if it will get busier! :slight_smile:

HERE’S A NEWSFLASH FOR YOU ALL:

A scheduler for a large SS who will remain unnamed called me today to tell me: they are REDUCING THEIR NORMAL REFI FEE FROM $75 TO $60!!! They feel that there are a ton of hungry notaries out there, and that they’ll jump on it!!! WHAAATTT…

What does everyone here think about this??? I don’t even need to say what I do.

And, no - it wasn’t Coast 2 Coast! If you are wondering!

Keep doing what you’re doing. Be blessed

1 Like

It’s interesting that they will let you move the time around like that… Most of the companies I work with make it a point to say and in big bold letters too… DO NOT CHANGE THE APPOINTMENT TIME…

2 Likes

Recently dropped out of a notary facebook page for posting about the low fees that notaries are accepting. Obviously it was an insult to others for me to suggest that they turn down those 35-75$ offers if possible, because it is ruining the notary profession. After being called a “karen” and other harsh comments, I was told that “I did not feed their family therefore, I could not suggest to them what they should or should not be accepting as a fee.” OUCH that hurt! As I was only trying to explain that after the printing, gas prices, time, etc. that was involved, they really weren’t doing their business justice. There are many hungry notaries out there who will do a signing for pennies it seems, thus, driving the offers lower and lower. I will not allow myself to be taken advantage of so if it doesn’t help me or others, I turn them down or at least try to negotiate. I do have a part time job so I don’t bank on signings to feed my family so I guess some do.

3 Likes

It’s hard to reason with people that are dumb enough to do this work for $75, they are a waste of time, your better off talking to a wall.

1 Like

“I did not feed their family so I could not suggest to them what they should or should not be accepting”

Think my response would have been “by accepting those fees, you’re not feeding your family either” … Js

5 Likes

Love seeing this kind of post! Work smart not hard. Congratulations! :+1::clap::raised_hands:

Yep, I just got home! Busy today!

2 Likes

Yes! Things are picking up at least for me. I will always look for the positive side of this business.
Your always busy! :joy:

1 Like

…some do, yes. I’m a preferred notary for one that does, in fact. In bold capital blue letters…but they use me-and if they told me I couldn’t anymore, I’d replace them. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yes, it was great while it lasted. I will continue to take what i can get but I also still have my Class A CDL and the pay is really great since truckers are in demand. Found a position about 7 minutes from my home. No long haul. I’m actually excited to get back to driving. I’ll still do after-hours signings. Good luck everyone!

7 Likes

They won’t be around long. We have been in an unusual time with Covid-19, low interest rates etc. I knew it would come to an end. The sad thing is signing companies happened and they started taking a big chunk of the fee. Back it 2007 i did some direct work for a title company. They printed the docs i picked them up, signed and returned them for $55.00. That was 15 years ago. Now we have all the expense to cover…paper, toner, printers, scanner, insurance, gas, taxes, maintenance, tires, pens, background checks, licensing and memberships and our valuable time. What they are trying to pay us now is not even minimum wage once you factor in your time let alone expenses. I won’t đo anything for less than $90.00 and within a 15 mile radius of my home. Wishing you the best!!

4 Likes

Yep, truck driver shortage is real.

Because they do not pay very well. I am lucky, I disabled out of driving. I drove anhydrous ammonia to farms in the Central Valley to get my BA and THAT did not pay enough.

1 Like

@michelle6 I’m going to agree with you on one point only - “hustle, dammit!!”

But…that’s it. Folks here are allowed to come on here and vent provided they don’t insult other posters. IMO you have no right telling ANYONE to get off the platform. No right whatsoever

Perhaps your stepping away, since you don’t seem to like it here, would make you feel better. But don’t go telling others to leave - they have a right to their opinions and a right to vent their frustrations and their experiences.

JMO - and have a good day

4 Likes

I will have to agree on the “hustle” part. It’s hard work for sure.

You make it sound like this business is like riding a roller coaster that has ups and downs and turns and everything.