New Notary in Texas

Hi everyone,

I know you all have heard this before. But, if there is someone in Houston, Texas that can help me find work I would really appreciate it. I was laid off and it has been very hard to find a new job. I am depleting my savings and any type of work could help. I became a Notary prior to being laid off only as a side gig. I have done everything with NNA and signed up for a multitude of platforms and not getting any work. I am a RON and a certified signing agent. I am also signed up with Notarize.com but it is so difficult to click just to get a $5 job. If anyone can point me in a direction of how to at least get a few jobs I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.

There is no magic formula for getting a job. Never was & never will be.
It’s pretty much luck. Most of the few jobs available will go to those with experience & a track record with hiring party…or the 2nd likewise in line. As a newb, hope these folks are all booked (not likely these slow times) and you might get lucky one day.
Honestly, you’d probably make more money saying "Want fries with that?’ than getting even one signing at a fee that would allow you to eat at the fast food place.

3 Likes

Thank you I really appreciate your honesty. I totally understand.

Greetings ypnotaryservice,

I a fellow NSA working in the Texas Hill Country. At the moment NSA engagements are few and far between. Texas currently has an over saturation of Notaries which further waters things down. In this market you might find it difficult to find an NSA to help you out as doing so puts you in competition with them. You might find a mentor on how to operate your business. As @Arichter pointed out you might better off seeking a different business or ‘regular’ job until things improve.

Regarding Texas being saturated with Notaries; The last numbers I found indicated "Texas took the lead with the highest statewide number of Notaries at 484,230 currently commissioned , an increase in more than 56,000 new Notaries since our last census. [Source NNA Aug 24, 2022]. That’s about 1 Notary per 60 individuals in Texas. Using California for comparison, has about 28,000 Notaries spread out over 30 million citizens.

Hi thanks for the response. I have been looking for another job and have not had any success. I read another forum and I know you pointed out those numbers. I appreciate your help. Just trying all I can to help me stay afloat. I appreciate your assistance.

Look on indeed for house inspecting for insurance companies. I do that for a side gig. It’s relatively easy, drive to peoples homes, take some pictures and add some info like roof, siding etc. You don’t need to have experience with housing, most have training, and it works well for a side gig. Most are not full time, but it’s something to fill the gap or just something. Do a search for house inspector. Quick word of advice, avoid occupancy checks, those people do not want to see you because they don’t pay their bills. Another decent side gig is data collection in grocery stores or stocking, or displays. There’s a lot out there, but you need to know some to look for. There’s always instacart. Hopefully that will give you a few ideas. Good luck!