New Notary; Notarizing for Relatives

Hello, I’m in San Antonio, Texas. I just got all my stuff together and I’m eager to get my first call. That being said, am I allowed to notarize documents for relatives (cousins, dad, etc.) that I have nothing to do with?

I read through the statutes and it didn’t really say anything specifically about relatives, at least not that I read.

Also, I’m looking for a mentor or fellow notaries in Bexar county, preferably in San Antonio. I’m in 78223.

Every state law is different. I’m in Ohio and the revised code does not spell it out. However, it is not advised to notarize for immediate relatives.
No: spouse, parents, children, grands, siblings and in-laws
On the fence: Aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews
If you can possible benefit from the transaction, don’t do it. There are many notaries who don’t understand the definition of “benefit from” until lawsuits arise.

4 Likes

In additon to whatever the law is in Texas, be aware that if the person receiving the notarized document can tell the notary is related to the signer, it may be rejected whether it’s legal or not.

1 Like

You are notarizing the signature on a document, not the document.

1 Like

“You are notarizing the signature on a document, not the document.” I disagree. What the notary certifies depends on which notarial act is performed. As an example, for a written oath using traditional methods (not RON), the notary certifies that the affiant and the notary met on the date indicated, in the county indicated, that the oath was administered orally by the notary to the affiant, and that the affiant signed the document. Depending on the state, the notary may or may not be certifying that the notary checked the identity of the affiant.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.