Notarizing a document

I have a client that he wants me to notarize, (acknowledge a utility bill, a marriage certificate, etc.) I have never done such thing; the documents do not have an area for the acknowledger to sign…how do we go about that? I am in California.

1 Like

Page 16 of your handbook - you can only certify copies of a Power of Attorney under Probate Code. You cannot certify any other copies, especially the marriage license as it’s a vital statistic and only the records keeper or the clerk of the court can certify those copies.

It’s been said there’s a document called Certification by Document Custodian that may work for the utility bill - I cannot comment further than that as I’m not familiar with the document.

3 Likes

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your response, I am not certifying anything, he wants me to acknowledge the document. I am very familiar with loan documents. These type of notarizations where the client shows up with an original birth certificate and wants it notarized, I have never done such a thing.

1 Like

I make up loose certificates that are compliant with my state and always have them with me for GNW. Some certs include a line for the signer’s signature when there is not one available. This line is above my certificate and can be done for either a jurat or acknowledgement.
I never buy loose certs from the NNA.

2 Likes

You said “wants me to notarize, (acknowledge a utility bill, a marriage certificate, etc.)”

Bottom line, you can’t … And it’s addressed in your handbook, which I provided for you. You can’t notarize any of those documents

1 Like

sounds like you just need to add a certificate but THEY have to tell you what kind they want (usually acknowledgement vs jurat)

1 Like

It also helps asking what is it for–once a client tells me this I’ll do some research and then get back to them. It also helps you better facilitate something that won’t be “kicked” back to you

@alishaquincygrpnxtgen No…he can’t. Read my response above

Whether we can or can’t is debatable. I can and have notarized random documents for individuals but let them know that I cannot certify the document and I cannot provide legal advise on whether the notarization will make it more “official”.
I explain the difference between and Jurat (swear the details on the utility bill are factual to the best of their knowledge) and an Acknowledgement then notarize it. It is not my position to determine why they want it notarized but I can notarize it.
I have checked with our SOS and their only comment is that we cannot “Certify” the doc.

4 Likes

Richland,

My question would be where would the signer sign? a utility bill has no signature line, a birth certificate does not either.

1 Like

I answered that.

Some certs include a line for the signer’s signature when there is not one available. This line is above my certificate and can be done for either a jurat or acknowledgement.

You can’t acknowledge a document. An acknowledgment states the client signed the document. You don’t even need to witness an acknowledgment, the client, after presenting valid ID acknowledges their signature on the document and that’s what you’re notarizing.

And a signature line on the loose acknowledgment means nothing. What is the signer acknowledging? That they signed the loose acknowledgment?

The marriage and birth certificates are certified by the state. If there are questions about validity you can easily request new copies from the state.

How can you acknowledge a utility bill? You can do an affidavit maybe. Signer swears the attached utility bill is true and correct to the best of his knowledge. But I don’t think that adds any weight to it.

And you can read mine? You don’t seem to comment on the other person who also said why he can?

2 Likes

@alishaquincygrpnxtgen You said “sounds like you just need to add a certificate but THEY have to tell you what kind they want (usually acknowledgement vs jurat)” I responded to that. I am not going to respond to every comment here and beat this to death…people can read my answer. But since YOU addressed me here, I’m responding.

Have a good evening…and Happy New Year

1 Like

Lady I do not address you on here; you seem to find my posts And reply. Someone did directly reply to you but it wasn’t me……

The OP, I responded to them. Not you.

1 Like

Different states different rules. I see you are in CA and at one time I was a Notary in CA ~ currently I’m in WA State. Forms can be downloaded for free from National Notary Assn if you are a member. I download fresh forms every year. There is a Copy Certification where you complete data regarding item you are certifying copy, and complete according to from instructions. These forms are nice because one side is blank form and next page has instructions step by step. Hope this information helps. Important Note: this is for Copy Certification NOT Certified Copy.

2 Likes

What you are notarizing is the duplicate copy of the original document. That is where the signature takes place and the acknowledgment happens. It’s a looseleaf sheet of paper separate from the actual document being “ notarized “

1 Like

Per the 2023 California notary handbook:

“Certified Copies

A notary public may only certify copies of powers of attorney under Probate Code section 4307 and their notary public journal. (Government Code sections 8205(a)(4), 8205(b)(1), and 8206(e))

Certified copies of birth, fetal death, death, and marriage records may be made only by the State Registrar, by duly appointed and acting local registrars during their term of office, and by county recorders. (Health & Safety Code section 103545)”

So, I guess you, the OP, can certify a copy of the utility bill. But your question is how does one acknowledge a document. Again, an acknowledgement is about a signature on a document.

Your client needs to talk to an attorney. What he’s asking doesn’t feel like it has liable consequences, but a lawyer can tell him what is needed and then the client can tell you which document he needs you to notarize.

1 Like

Oh, so I and others were right? lol

Birth certificates are excluded in some states. I know it is in Colorado. Birth cerificates can be had as certified copies from the state or county.