Notary Business Cards

Is it a good idea to sperate Notary Business from Realtor business by having seperate business cards for each?

It seems to me any real estate transaction you do a notarization for is likely to involve a Realtor, who is a competitor. If you give a business to any of the signers, the Realtor involved in the transaction may feel you are competing unfairly.

I’m a justice of the peace and my business cards say justice of the peace, not notary public. JPs don’t really compete with anyone, so I don’t see any need to have two kinds of cards.

I would; if I go to a notary appointment they get a notary card; if I’m acting as a realtor they get a realtor card; giving a combined card to a notary-only appointment may be taken the wrong way…like you’re promoting your other business. To me that’s just tacky.

JMO

2 Likes

In addition to what others stated here, “tread lightly” with giving out your cards while at the table for a client who hired you to be there on behalf of the client. Basically, if you do give out a card while your working for a client, let the signers know your services for future needs are separate from the transaction you are there for. You don’t want your own personal business name being affiliated with a transaction you don’t actually own. But I agree, 2 separate services should require to separate cards, the main reason being (in your case) a real estate agent who is also a notary can not notarize real estate transactions they are a party too (conflict of interest), so it also eliminates confusion among potential clients. I apologize for “drifting” and adding a little extra here, but saw you were new to the forum (Welcome aboard BTW) and wasn’t familiar with your background. Hope this helps!