(NPN) We are Notaries NOT cheap Salespeople **BEWARE**

I was recently contacted by the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau about a debt settlement I did for NPN. Do not work for them or take debt settlements! You are liable when you are “acting on behalf” of the Legal Group with NPN being the conduit without liability.

6 Likes

So true I am still waiting to get paid from them since October smh just horrible.

1 Like

NPN stands for National Paralegal and Notary

I have been assigned a ton of these. Low fee, but I am new. About 1/3 cancel before I go and a bunch more do not sign. Today, I got 2 more, and what the heck, I took them. Now they have sent me the stupid test that assumes, 1. I am a moron, 2. The customer is a moron, and 3. I am a paraprofessional acting on behalf of their law firms. Oddly, I did not pass the test - I always ace those kind of tests. I may retake it. But then again, I will probably not do any more signings for them. I am weighing sending them an email with my opinion of the expectation of me being a salesman. I am a notary, not a “paraprofessional” for their law firm. In addition, their presentation is disjointed, confusing and redundant. It reads like it was prepared by someone who is only partly literate. Were they in my English class, it would have received a C minus at best. Poorly organized, repetitive and confusing. You could not outline that thing! On top of that, several law firms make a point of saying no copies fot the customer, which makes bit sound shady. That does not even include what I think of the program. Earning, don’t accept these things.

3 Likes

Welcome to the world of sanity

1 Like

When I start in this business I was taking jobs just for the experience. I was warned not to do any Debt Resolutions, but I wanted to know what they entailed. I felt horrible reading all that twisted language to an Army Veteran who was down on his luck. I wanted so badly to tell him to run the other way. But, it was my obligation to carry out that assignment. I took care of that order on November 04, 2020. Their policy is to pay in 30 days. They waited until now, January 15, 2021, to pay me so that they could take out some membership money. I haven’t even been a notary a full year. Where do they get off telling me it’s some type of annual renewal.

3 Likes

Now NPN have sent me confidential documents through text. This is a whole lot of shady. I’m pretty sure this illegal. I don’t know their laws in their state, but I do know the laws in mine.

1 Like

Could you, please, share what good companies are out there?

Sorry to be so late with this, but I’d be very interested in hearing more about your interaction with the CFPB regarding your role in debt settlements. Sure hope it resulted in the CFPB going after these debt settlement providers, But I’d like to hear what happened as it appears to be a really good warning for notaries to stay far away from these. Will you please elaborate on the matter.

1 Like

Are you able and/or willing to name the Legal Group that the CFPB contacted you about? I have done a few of these for NPN, but once I fully realized the liability that I was placing myself under, I stopped. I hope that you will keep us posted about any new developments in this matter.

2 Likes

I never did the training. They did finally pay me, but they deducted my pay with late fees and a membership fee. I canceled the membership right after. I never agreed to a membership. I’m just happy to be done with them honestly.

2 Likes

Wow didn’t know this was a thing! Thanks for sharing I’ll be prepared should they come for me!

1 Like

I complained to them also regarding a membership fee. I continually reached out to them regarding this matter. It took a ridiculously long time (over 7 months), but I ultimately received my full pay. I didn’t care for the feeling that I was left with after doing that debt settlement. It was for a veteran who was just trying to lift some weight off his shoulders. For shame, on NPN. I was warned not to do debt settlements. I just wanted to know what they entailed. Let’s just say I will never do them again.

3 Likes

Ive worked for them for a while now, now all of a sudden they asked me to scan back a package in ALPHABETICAL ORDER…what???

2 Likes

LOL Jessi - are you serious? Can you stop laughing long enough to respond??? :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you for the heads up! I will stay clear of them.

1 Like

Same experience here. I accepted the assignment not knowing there was a 12 page script with a slide presentation. Im not a sales person and definitely not doing a slide presentation. Especially at the low fee. I will be cancelling this appointment.!—my first cancellation :worried:

2 Likes

I experienced the very same thing. Thank you for sharing. I agree! We are notaries NOT paralegal assistant, paraprofessional or salesperson. Definitely not reading a 12 page script with a slide presentation for $90,…BE AWARE!!

1 Like

All very interesting views

1 Like

I perform Debt Consolidations all the time using Snapdocs. The typical package is about 45 pages with two pages needing to be notarized. I typically will take these assignments in my County, and not outside. The pay is typically $65.00 for 2 notarizations,not bad for 15 minutes of work, plus about 20 to 30 minutes to drive to appointment.

What I find funny on this forum is that none of you have found a way to value your worth. I work in FL where the notorial fees are extremely low. I have been a notary signing agent since 2003, my average monthly volume is around 60 to 75 signings per month with an average fee ranging from $65 to $125. You do the math. If most of my closings pay an average fee of $90 x 60 = around $5400 per month. This is the least amount of what I average, and then some every month. I choose every week how many orders I want to respond to, as well as the day I want to work, and at what price I am willing to take for the signing appointment.

I will not accept any orders on Monday’s because I want to enjoy a 3-day weekend.

I have been with many of my vendors for over 20 years, they know my work, and that I rarely make a mistake. So, know your worth, and take seriously why you became a notary. Plan how many signings will give you the amount of money you need every month to live on, and work toward that goal. It is not hard at all. Best to all.