Open Letter To Signing Agencies

Hello, Robert M (abc75abc)
I notice that you are new and a Basic user of the forum. Welcome!? If you wish to draw people to your cause, perhaps you might want to modulate tone to exclude ad hominem? There are no children here and there are numerous years of experience from which you might benefit. Sorry you have had such a disappointing outing as a NSA. But, your experience is not the standard for all experiences across the nation. There is a market difference between rural and urban, market saturation and variability. $50 in one community is not the same in another for a myriad of reasons. And until and unless you have designed an algorithm that takes ALL the variables into account how do you propose to introduce a “standard” payment and organize a group of such different constituents with extremely different historical and current market drivers? Good ideas don’t require all caps to get them across. Good luck going forward.

2 Likes

Show me the letter from the doj.
This is heresay.
Before signing order and snapdocs ? So what was it one of their buddies whom said pull that and we will give u a percentage of every signing ?
Furthermore, this wouldn’t be done as a signed contract where everyone agrees.
There are ways to have an understanding without everyone putting it in writing.
We don’t need 40k signatures to raise our rates to 200 a signing to have this be an understood new reality.
Even 2 page real estate signings can easily absorb 200 dollars with it causing harm to no one.
And if price fixing is an issue, how’s about a percentage as re agents do ?
Robert

1 Like

I never said there are children here.
What is the truth is that talking, complaining and writing letters with no action is what kids do.
We are not kids.
So you have turned my words to the opposite of its meaning.
I have complimented and you took it the wrong way.

Robert

First of all sometimes I type in caps on my computer and sometimes all lowercase for speed.
Secondly, you are needlessly making this far more difficult than it needs to be.
There can be a notary that reps for each state regarding what is fair and reasonable.
Furthermore, we need to start somewhere.
200 can be absorbed in any re transaction for instance.
Look, if you want to spend the time to address all these minute factors that’s fine. However, for today, how’s about 200 and shake hands and move on.
200 is nothing for a re transaction.
This is why nothing has been accomplished. Start with something simple and make it happen.

I have repeatedly tried to tell new folks this. We are the ONLY industry that we suffer from deflation because new folks want practice. They devalue themselves when they accept lowball offers.

All businesses in America that provides a service has a price list of what they offer. They are ok to post their pricing but Notaries cannot ? Even the dentist down the streets has a big O sign Whiten your teeth for $99 bucks, Smog for $60, Oil Change for $39. I’m lost . Please enlightened me

You, of course,can set and advertise your fees. The issue in this thread is ‘price-fixing’.

1 Like

Agree - in fact I seem to recall a state’s notary regulation which requires that notaries with a separate office or a home office must post their fees in a conspicuous place (Florida may be one but I’m not sure as I don’t have an office and don’t entertain signers in my home).

Anyone can post their own prices on their website, profile or whatever (I did that here) however for a group of notaries to get together and all make a written commitment that "we will accept nothing less than XXX) is either unionizing or price-fixing. It’s setting a standard of payment for all across the board -

Excellent breakdown. Thank you for confirming what I knew but only drafted on paper. I may be returning to corporate Amercia…uggh! Too many SS’s aren’t paying enough for me to be profitable.

you are a blessing if you see this please know you have increased my fees dramatically making me double the money i was making i have great negotiating skills so thank you for opening my mind to this

How are you calculating your car expenses? It seems high, especially the car for round trip? Are you doing gas to the miles your car gets per gallon plus adding wear and tear to vehicle to that calculation?

For 20 miles one way it is costing me about $4.50 because I will use a gallon of gas and that’s the premium price per gallon for my SUV which gets about 20 miles to the gallon. If I travel 40 miles that’s about $9 of gas. I’m still trying to calculate my wear and tear. Found one site which would estimate about .34 cents a mile for an SUV. I’m going to do some more thinking about how to calculate my wear and tear.

I completely agree with you exeternotary. And I’m sorry but if I had time to write long letters on why things aren’t fair, I’d never get any signings. If its possible for some to earn good money with direct business then its possible for me. I cant look at each situation of unfair. Frankly, lifes unfair.

I just try to think outside of the box, save on what I can for supplies, and build more business relationships.

Its unfair to blame or criticize new signers who accept low offers. They have every right to gain experience by accepting low offers. I accepted my first signing for 40 dollars, I had no clue what a document even looked like or how many pages, etc! What others do should not be part of my problem. Also, we don’t know if they are starving, or desperate for money. We don’t walk in their shoes. The struggle is real.

I focus on what I can do better for myself. People complain about expensive supplies like toner, costs of paper. Well buy generic toner. Read Amazon reviews, are good. Paper cost…? Look for sales. Best price i found is Walmart. Find sales and stock up.

I try to think forward and work on how I can better my game, rather than try and get the other players in the game to change course.

2 Likes

A Master Piece of Signing Agent business truth.

I can hear you clapping it’s really amazing.

My region covers 2000 square miles, in only three counties. Some of my closings are 100 miles round trip. If the SS doesn’t meet my fees they’ll try to find another NSA. Often they don’t and give me a call back. At this point I usually add a few more bucks to my fee because it’s now a last minute closing.

1 Like

If only seasoned agents get the jobs then how do you expect us newly certified to get jobs. Weren’t you new at one time? Some of us have experience in the Loan industries and other experience with dealing with the public. I am a very seasoned Life and Health insurance agent. But after Obama Care basically took my income to a % of what I received before. I got paid last year $5.97 per policy. But I am the one that gets all the angry call about their lack of coverage. So I changed professions. I also have experience in the lending industry in commercial lending.

2 Likes

Of course, you newbies should get work…That’s what Signing Services are for… You can obtain ALL the experience you will need.

2 Likes

Ohhh my gosh that’s a large area!! Kudos to your hard work.

Here are issues I’ve denoted. They’re slow strangling NSA’s profitability for sure:

Topics:

*Mindless one size fits all fee offers in favor for agency profitability trashing notary publics into poverty wages.

*Disrespectful over-site of NSA’s important role that makes agencies able to have a business. Sense of entitlement NSA has a duty to accept low offers for services.

*Mindless use of text blast systems not having to check NSA fees listed on their sites.

*Presuming NSAs are interested in working at poverty levels of pay.

*Attempting to legally bind NSA services with agency contractual agreements.

*Same agencies from 11 years ago in 2010 never adjusted $100 fee for inflation rates ($20) and materials costs.

*Agencies don’t consider their fee offer is the same $100 offered for 200 page signing packages poorly constructed for California requirements. Or, those with three signers at the table.

*Bidding too low to title companies to get the signing not caring there’s not enough wages for the NSA who pays high self employment ratio taxes.

I’m sure there are more. They have turned the industry into revolving door newbies that experienced notaries no longer matter to them.