People Who Can't Sign There Name

Thank you, Jasmin, for your guidance.

I’ve been dealing with people who couldn’t sign in cursive since the late 1970s. I worked in a high tech firm where quite a few of the engineers and scientists were from other countries. They spoke at least two languages, and some of them could write in other alphabets such as Arabic, Chinese, or Japanese. But cursive wasn’t covered in their English classes. It was never a problem, they just signed in block letters.

Helpful and interesting responses but be aware people are in different states with different laws. I perform signings in full care facilities with physically disabled people. Interesting signing was a 74 year lady with all of her brain cells in tack but had severely crippled hands bunched into balls. Lady had her daughter there for signing. Original letter from her attorney authorizing use of self inking name stamp for legal purposes. Notarizing her retirement benefit form. Double checked with WA State Notary Department and acceptable. Recalled my last day job for 15 years large company had electronic signature system with legal documentation. Signings young military personnel many never learned cursive writing and can only print. USN base actually created class to teach cursive writing because in their daily routines cursive writing out there like circuit breaker boxes, etc. Need to apply simple common sense approach and you will be fine.

It is a good question. But in your attempt to be helpful, Oreste, you would be overstepping your boundary as a notary public. We must all stay in our lane.

I agree with @Arichter – a signer’s signature is their signature. For me, if I see their signature on the document varies significantly from the signature on their government-issued photo ID, I might note the reason in in my notary journal “signer is signing with cast or signer’s signature has changed due to illness/injury…” – whatever the case may be. If the signer cannot make even an X for their signature, each state’s notary manuals offer instruction to their notaries.

For example, see page 13 of the New Jersey Notary Manual: https://www.nj.gov/treasury/revenue/pdf/NotaryPublicManual.pdf

Requirement for Individuals Unable to Sign
If an individual is physically unable to sign a record, the individual may direct an individual other than the notarial officer to sign the record with the individual’s name. The notarial officer shall insert “Signature affixed by (name of other individual) at the direction of (name of individual)” or words of similar import.”

I wish you good luck!

That’s how I was trained. Can’t teach them how to sign in cursive on the spot.

Thank you, Alice, for your input.

Thank you, Carmen, for your input.

1 Like

Ashton I worked with engineers that could not write cursive and not an issue in their field of work. When I was living in Kitsap County WA and dealing with military personnel, they found not being able to read write cursive an issue and opened classes on base to teach cursive writing. Some control boxes on ships and bases still have cursive writing and is an issue if you need to turn a switch. I knew an officer that left a written list for his crew to complete overnight and they did not know how to read cursive so work did not get done. I have worked with title companies that have stated specifically provide cursive signatures. So depending on situations can be an issue. My daughter-in-law is a teacher and she told me many schools will be teaching cursive writing again. Fortunately she has taught my 10 year old granddaughter cursive writing.