Pressure to notarize by companies

About the fee, I did not ask comment about the fee. That is my prerogative.
About the IDS. I did ask if they had IDs specifically a passport and her permanent resident ID and they said yes. Which were perfectly fine IDs, if they were in her correct name name that is. That doesn’t fall on me if the title company does not confirm what her name.

agree and also I would have requested authorization for 2 credible witnesses to proceed

2 Likes

The scenario in the original post does not qualify for credible witnesses - she had a passport and a permanent resident card = unfortunately not in her married name. CWs would have to swear under oath (at least here in FL) that it is difficult if not impossible for the signer to obtain acceptable identification (and I believe CA law is very similar to FL in many aspects) - IMO that does not include laziness, refusal or just plain oversight in getting ID in her married name. The only way I could have done it here in FL was to add “f/k/a” or “wtta” in my certs - but my certs would say they were acknowledged or sworn to before me by “her current married name”.

1 Like

Nevertheless, Joe made a very good point. Lately, it seems that we are our own worst problem.
As to letting TC know that SS isn’t paying… ABSOLUTELY!

I agree with much of what LindaH has stated. Along with one other notary who mentioned credible witnesses. You can always use a credible witness but in reality it would be rare you could find 2 on the spot.
I always let these second rate signing services know when they aren’t paying up for what is owed I will be billing the title company next. Every time in the last 15 years and over 10,000+ closings they always pay up because they don’t want their clients “The Title Company” to know this is how sleazy they are and that they cause problems. They will most likely lose their client ‘title company’ if this is a habit and other notaries have complained as well.
Immediately when no government issues non expired valid ID could be present for the name on the documents it is a done deal. And the SS does owe you the trip and the print fee. Don’t waste your time. Most people already knew this was going to be an issue and they were flipping a coin and gambling you would be an easy breezy notary not doing his/her job and let it slide. I can’t tell you how many time when I have this happen they tilt there little heads and say “really? There wasn’t a problem with our last notary”
TILA & RESPA Federal laws are on our side. We are to be an independent contractor with no skin in the game. By making payment only valid if they sign makes signing essential for the notary to get paid an in return would encourage notaries to ‘just sign anything’ to get paid.
As the other notary stated "you might want to evaluate your schedule of fees. I can’t cheer that one on enough. Seriously for such a time consuming closing - an hour drive- which I do daily because I cover over 130 mile radius - get paid for what you are worth! Unless you are brand new and just trying to get experience under your belt and don’t mind working for free- no actually you are paying out of your pocket to work because on this one you are in the RED. Like most of us commenting here you will get the experience in due time and will be able to handle these issues quite easily in the future. Best of luck! Don’t give up, this job can be very financially beneficial once you get the hang of it.
Also if you are on Notary Rotary or other Notary forums please spread the word as that is what gets these guys to straighten up and play business fairly or they go away like so many, to the boneyard.

4 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to write in full detail. You guessed correctly, I am a relatively new notary trying to catch my footing. And I’m sure they hired me knowing this.
You gave me some good information. I appreciate you

1 Like

I am in Washington State

I was at their home and there were no credible witnesses

Sorry @Denisa - my reply was more to TheCloverExperience than to you - she is in CA.

I see you in Washington State can only use one CW known both to you and to the signer. That’s a tough requirement with which to comply.

2 Likes

I had one for 4 hrs RT we sat down was there 10 min and numbers were wrong. I got full pay. I call signing fee and travel distance so no sign I still get full pay 2x I got full pay and print for a signing 3x.(I just realized I received half my rate which is double their normal.

correct on brushing up in reading skills. " the signer that day was NOT title and in fact there was only one signer there to sign.

To the person who had this experience why talk to CT do u want to work with folks that ethics differ so much I e what’s legal and what’s not.

I think a SIGNATURE AFFIDAVIT AND AKA STATEMENT would have worked. Does anyone have input on this?

This is not an acceptable form of ID - and besides that, it needs to be notarized, which can’t be done without current, valid, acceptable ID.

3 Likes

What is NB Notary? Is it a company that would have a Quality Assurance department? possibly a regional manager? You could try that route. I find it is our job to be the one to verify ID spelling/names match on docs before making the trip or companies hold us as responsible for making the trip and do not pay full fee. … I would have either a) caught this before getting there with the follow up confirmation call after receiving docs and before printing to verify ID and docs match. or 2) corrected the name on the documents to match the name on the ID and had them sign AKA on Deed of Trust ( with an acknowledgment in only the name I had ID for. ) and signed in hopes it would get accepted and I may get full fee. ** best case scenario ** meaning you can’t always reach signers after you get docs and before the signing… I have been known to ask for full payment in the result of a no sign if they don’t like the numbers but I wouldn’t ask for full fee if it was an ID issue. Short cuts cost us money, client money and title money. I am not saying it has never happened to me because it has. I only had myself to blame. Too bad you couldn’t get NB to send the committment for full pay in an email.

1 Like

Credible witnesses are not an option when there is a bank of financial institution involved. At least that is how I understand the law. Federal law requires financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies every customer. … Credible witnesses cannot be used as a substitute for the ID requirements on a USA Patriot Act CIP form, even though state law allows them to be used to identify document signers for notarial acts.

1 Like

I sign in Oregon & Washington. (first 100 miles from WA/OR border) If you are nearby we could grab a coffee!

On page 208 and page 209 of The complete How-To Guide for Notaries by the NNA, it shows the acceptable and unacceptable document and ID name differences. This was listed under the Unacceptable differences. She did not have a picture USA picture ID of any kind with her married name that was on the documents. And the patriot act requires this as well.

The outcome of this story is… I have not received one job from that title company since this happened. As a matter of fact, my job opportunities in general took a huge dive. I am assuming that NB notaries left me a bad review because I would not do an illegal notarization. Which is illegal accord to the Washington State NNA “The complete How-To Guide for Notaries” book (pages 208-209) Also NB notary did not pay me the full amount he promised. Not surprised there.
The new topic should be, Defamation of Character, when companies like NB Notary leave negative feedback when you don’t do something illegal for them. I wish there was some way we can see what is posted about us. Defamation of Character is costing me money.

(post deleted by author)

This whole situation sounds really messy. I worked most of my adult live in escrow. First American Title And Western Title and Escrow. I would not have touched this one with a ten foot pole!

1 Like