Proof of RON commission

Hello I am a Pennsylvania notary and I have an email from the state saying that I can do enotary. The online platforms ask for proof of my RON commision. Should I upload the email that I recieved from Pennsylvania department or is there something else I am soppse to upload?
Crystal Johnson

E-notarizations and RON notarizations are two different animals.

E-notarizations are electronic seals applied while you’re sitting with the individual(s); these types can usually be done under your original notary commission.

RON notarizations are done remotely via video conferencing with KBA and you need a special separate commission for these - refer to your state handbook or PAN for guidance here.

2 Likes

My state, Wisconsin, does not have a separate RON commission. Yours appears not to require one as well. You have to notify the state that you intend to use a certain platform and they make a record of it. Our approval list is an excell spreadsheet on file at the state showing the name of the notary and the platform they use. The platform has to notify the state that the notary has been approved by the platform. This can be a chicken or the egg problem, if the platform needs state authority before they approve you and the state wants the platform approval before giving the authority. If this makes sense.

2 Likes

Thanks @jnewberry - I should have been clearer that this is state specific; mea culpa

1 Like

What your state is looking for is the certificate number that you will receive from the platform that you will be using to perform RONs. They will will request and verify that with the platform providers once you provide with the name(s) of your platform carriers (e.g. DocVerify, DocuSign, PAVASO, etc.).

1 Like

Thanks eveyone for responding. So far, I just uploaded my email from my state saying that I am capable of doing RON notaries.

New Mexico doesn’t offer RON yet.

Simple answer…yes, just forward or upload the email. VA does the same thing, just an email stating you are approved for Remote and eNotarizations. I had to do this to get certified with Pavaso and Notarize.com…they accepted it.

RON will become legal in NM on 1/1/2022!
Remote Online Notarization FAQs | Maggie Toulouse Oliver - New Mexico Secretary of State