Remote Online Notary (RON)

[quote=“berishtax, post:30, topic:11181, full:true”]
“I completed the RON training but need to find an affordable RON Service Provider, all I wanted to do was expand my Notary options and it has been complicated my application returned twice ugh… I hate to just give up after spending the money.”

Now that’s a cautionary tale if ever I heard one. Seems nobody even knows what kind of ACTUAL demand there is for this either. The notary seems to have all the liability for not much ROI.

1 Like

So, you might want to try Notarize.com. Assuming you want to do GNW, it is free to you. The only thing is that they are updating the software to let you have your own clients but I don’t know if that is done already. Alternatively, it is a great way to do GNW for them. It doesn’t make a lot, but when they start handling loan closings, you will be in early enough that they will allow you to do that work as well.

1 Like

Is that the outfit that pays $5 for first notarization and $1 for each subsequent one? RON notaries in Florida can charge $25 per notarization - not sure I’d want to give a third party almost 90% of my fee…

1 Like

I am an Electronic Notary in Washington. I applied for a RON certification. I asked for more info on what platforms are the best and I haven’t rec’d one reply.
Any information you have would be so helpful.
Thanks

I hear what you are saying. But beware that, as you know, the industry tends to be “feast or famine” so 1) nice to have something to fall back on that is not part of this industry, 2) you can do a lot of these in the hour so the $5 add up as you wish (also, we can charge in Florida up to $25 but how much business do you do in that field? Plus you save on travel, etc), 3) you can drum up your own business and use their platform at no additional cost, 4) and eventually, I see a future where maybe we will not only be doing online loan docs too, but maybe even start cutting out the middlemen???

There may be some Cons, but don’t right this off completely. It has plenty of Pros as well!

Hi Rlsnotarialservices,
There is no “better” one. It depends on your needs. As a business owner, you have to do your own research.

The regular platforms that are out there are too expensive for a notary to maintain. And it makes no sense anyway because different lenders/title companies use different ones and most aren’t willing to use any…yet.

For instance, Guaranteed Rate, who is a large national lender, they use Notarize. But, they aren’t getting enough support from the brokers who sell Guaranteed Rate to borrowers. So we still have a ways to go until we as notaries get to use any platform for doing loan closings.

Now, sellers and cash buyers can be done providing the title company is onboard. But, some title companies, such as Sunbelt, have their own internal platform they use to esign borrowers. Therefore, they don’t use outside notaries.

So the whole RON thing is still very complicated. But it is cool to know that state governments are opening up the ability for lenders to switch to remote closings. Just cannot predict how soon we will actually be doing RON closings. Unless someone mandates something, I don’t see it happening any time soon. Heck, if people didn’t jump onboard for RON closings during the pandemic, what would it take???

2 Likes

I still ‘believe/think/opine’ that if/when it actually takes off, it will be handled by the platform’s employEEs,
cutting out independent notaries completely and replacing SS.

1 Like

Maybe. I think there will always be circumstances that require a notary, even if electronically. I am glad that I found this business when I did and glad I only have a couple of years left before retiring altogether!

2 Likes

Are there any other platforms besides DocVerify that people have used in the Washington State area? I checked into Notarize.com, but they are not accepting RONs from WA. Anyone else?

1 Like

The Washington State Notary Commission cannot advocate one company over another, otherwise they’ll be accused of playing “favorites”. All they can do is provide a list of approved vendors. Below is the list of approved RON vendors I received back in March that meet their requirements. It is November 18th, so there may be others at this point. I hope this helps you.

On 03/25/2020 9:11 AM Jordan Reynolds jreynolds@dol.wa.gov wrote:
Verified Meet Requirements

1. Docusign
  2. DocVerify (often misprinted as DocuVerify)
  3. Pavaso
  4. Simplifile
  5. World Wide Notary
  6. CSC E-recording
  7. GNUPG (may be referenced as proprietary or in-house software instead)
  8. Collier Technologies LLC (Orcas Island ISP)
  9. Rush Translate
  10. SnapDocs
  11. Settleware
  12. Oracle Textura Management
  13. NEXSYS CLEAR SIGN
  14. eMortgageLAW
2 Likes

wow…SnapDocs? Seriously??

1 Like

Apparently. That’s according to Washington DOL notaries division back in March. So unless something changed, I assume SnapDocs meets the technology security requirements.

I am doing what I can to decide which platform to use for RON. I have the certification from Washington State. So far I’m finding the platforms very expensive. I don’t want to outlay a large amt of money without some idea that there are companies that will use RON.
COVID has limited me to turning down so many signings.

What RON platform do you use?

This the reply I rec’d from Snapdocs: “Snapdocs only offers our digital closing solution to lenders.”
I won’t give up trying to find a RON platform. I believe it is the future.

This is the reply I rec’d from Snapdocs: “Snapdocs only offers our digital closing solution to lenders.”

Arichter, please talk to me about the liability concerns that you have? I have had some of my own that I’ve expressed to my insurer. I’d like your take

Rlsnotarialservices check out Seattle Side Hustles on youtube. The notary’s name is Snow. She has done a ton of legwork on the issue for us!

I’m really not that into the matter as AR doesn’t allow RON, but when CA was successfully fighting it, the way CA 's proposed RON law was worded made the technology providers not liable for anything that might go wrong. If they aren’t liable for mis-identifying a signer or losing the video–who’s left to be sued? The notary, of course. The whole concept is still a swamp of individual state’s actual law wording, which, of course, is being spoonfed by big tech to the legislator/law sponsor (& possibly further amended by ??) It’s being pushed by big tech, who stand to make a fortune , & alta, who stand to save a fortune, but neither want to be left holding the bag when things go wrong–that’s what the notary is for.

Currently, there is a Federal bill for RON in US Senate committee S3533, worded so loosey-goosey that it’s almost meaningless (yeah, good idea, let’s pass it and then figure out the details–I exaggerate, but not by much). Is RON the future? Probably as much a self-driving cars. All is well until it crashes. We’re still in the here & now and the perfect future isn’t here yet.

4 Likes

Snapdocs partners with multiple RON vendors, their primary one being Nexsys, just FYI to all.