Request for NSA Social Security for Background Check!

Yesterday, I took an assignment from Notary Go. The loan docs were from First Savings Bank, but the escrow Mortgage Information Services, Inc. Midway through the legal size paperwork there is this document that says the notary must furnish THEIR social security number for a background check or they won’t get paid!!! What??? No. Who else has heard of this? Does anyone have experience with Mortgage Information Services? I supplied my phone number, NNA background check *which was done this last month), and my Notary certification. I think that is a ridiculous request and I am angry about it. NotaryGo did not disclose this as a requirement before I accepted the assignment. I would not have taken it if that was disclosed.

2 Likes

What a ridiculous request! I would refuse and give the assignment back if they had an issue.

7 Likes

Some of the hoops they want us to jump through are borderline criminal. If I am contracted to do a job, pay me! Don’t try to create scenarios where I waive my fee through refusal of outlandish requests. Very dishonorable! They need to be added to the bad companies list. SMH!

4 Likes

I’ve personally seen it from Mortgage Information Services, Inc. (MIS).

Previously, I’d respond with a note instructing them to check their files & my Profile in their system as the current Background Check was previously furnished to them.

In addition, MIS is well known for refusing to pay for two situations (to my personal knowledge, but there may be more . . .):

1. MIS states no payment for a No Sign - even if you have expended quite a bit of time with the Borrowers working through the issues prior to their decision to not sign.
  2. MIS states no payment for a successful signing that doesn’t fund.

These two corporate positions by MIS were the basis for my professional decision to decline Signing Orders from MIS some time ago.

5 Likes

I completely agree. I took the job from NotaryGo they did not put that in their usual onerous instructions. I would reject that. I don’t even think it is legal. I am half tempted to call the CA State DRE and ask them or at least make them aware that this is happening. MIS is an OH company.

2 Likes

You can bet your boots MIS is not paying for your background screening.

The company that conducts your background screening needs your SS# to complete the background check. MIS needs the result of that screening/check, not your SS#.

On a side note, companies that pay you will want a Tax Payer ID Number. Obtain a TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number for your business, even if your business is a Sole-Proprietorship, and give that number to companies that pay you rather than your personal TIN (aka Social Security #).

Get the form/number from the IRS website.

Respectfully,

3 Likes

Good Morning Guy, :slight_smile: Just a clarification: Known as an EIN for the business tax ID # aka FEIN or FTIN (see excerpt below from https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/employer-id-numbers ).

“An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. Generally, businesses need an EIN. You may apply for an EIN in various ways, and now you may apply online. This is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service and you can get your EIN immediately . You must check with your state to make sure you need a state number or charter.”

2 Likes

dont do business with that company they shouldn’t be asking for your soical you the nsa.

i would refuse the job

2 Likes

As I said, I had already taken the job, I didn’t send my info, instead, I sent my NNA background check. I am waiting to get paid, but the invoice is in approved status.

2 Likes

Can I also do that on a w-9 form?

Thank you for that info. I hadn’t heard of this.

1 Like