Requests for Loose Notarial Certificates

I recently did a re-fi signing where the lender (CFBank National Assoc.) requested on p.1 of their State Specific Instructions to the Signing Agent a request to provide an extra CA All Purpose Acknowledgment (stamped and signed).
Then sprinkled in the last pages (of the 165 page packet) were what appeared to be other additional ‘orphan’ certificates that were not exactly within, nor attached to the previous pages… I chose NOT to sign these and typed up a brief explanation that we can not provide orphan certificates. I included this memo with the returned signed docs.

PS: I tried calling my contact prior to the signing appointment (Solidifi) and she could not answer my question and said she’d get someone to call me back who knew more about this. No one ever called me back.

How would you handle this?

I ignore them. I know exactly what you’re talking about. Never not been paid or questioned about ignoring them

1 Like

You can’t do it - it’s that simple; assuming you’re in CA - your own notary laws state you must ATTACH the cert to the doc; you’re right - you cannot provide “orphan” certs (I like that title for them).

And don’t tell me - they told you “but everyone does it!” I’ve heard that, too, and my reply is “then everyone is breaking the law!”

Send them all back unsigned…no can do

Whew! Thanks for your positive support.