Returned check from Notary Dash

I had the same problem with (Notary) Dash from Prestiage I had about five or six checks that I received at one time and none of them cleared the bank, I don’t do closings for prestige no Coast 2 Coast I only do Ron closings

I had a check bounce beczuse i had mis- printed it. Tbe routing and account numbers were cut off and i did not notice.

All 50 states have bad check laws: check for laws in your state!

“Under Colorado law, it is a crime to pay with a check knowing that you do not have enough money to cover the funds. Issuing a bad check is a petty offense that carries penalties of up to 10 days in jail and $300 in fines.”

Not true. I deposit checks in my account from time to time and my bank gives me up to $500 in immediate credit. Maybe you should find another bank.

Me personally, no way would I take any orders from a company that has treated you as you have been.

March, and you’re still waiting for payments on simple loan mods? Oh my.

Well, first of all my post addressed depositing cash; as a second point - I did say “if it is it’s subject to recall if not collected from issuer”

I know what you said, and what you said is not correct. In fact, I highly doubt there’s a bank anywhere in this country who doesn’t give immediate credit–meaning next biz day—on cash deposits. As for deposits by check, banks can hold funds if they choose to, generally up to two biz days. Most any bank these days will give their good customers immediate credit for at least a portion of the total deposit. In my case, my bank gives me $500, available the next biz day. I wouldn’t bank with anyone who wouldn’t.

Bad Check/Check Fraud:

“Penal Code 476a PC – Writing Bad Checks – California Law”

“Penal Code 476a PC makes it a crime to write or pass a bad check, knowing that there are (or will be) insufficient funds in the account. The offense can be charged as a felony if the value of the bad checks is more than $950.00. Otherwise, the offense is only a misdemeanor.”

“Note that this code section is one of two California bad check laws. The other is Penal Code 476 PC, check fraud.”

“The full language of the code section states that:

476a. (a) Any person who, for himself or herself, as the agent or representative of another, or as an officer of a corporation, willfully, with intent to defraud, makes or draws or utters or delivers a check, draft, or order upon a bank or depositary, a person, a firm, or a corporation, for the payment of money, knowing at the time of that making, drawing, uttering, or delivering that the maker or drawer or the corporation has not sufficient funds in, or credit with the bank or depositary, person, firm, or corporation, for the payment of that check, draft, or order and all other checks, drafts, or orders upon funds then outstanding, in full upon its presentation, although no express representation is made with reference thereto, is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.”

If I remember based on my Legal Studies in University (Canadian, could be different in the US) They would have to prove that the day the check was written you did not have the funds. Example you wrote the check on the 8th and withdrew the money in the 9th causing the check to be returned on the 10th… not enforceable. Now if you wrote a check on an account that was closed the day you wrote it or the bank balance ( end of day balance) was less than what you wrote the check for then yes that is enforceable. At the end of the day you will have to prove intent.

I was studying to be an attorney and interned for a law firm over the summer. After that experience I changed my mind and wasted my Legal Studies Degree😂

2 Likes

Here is an update to this serious issue. It has been almost a month now since this check was returned to me. Notary Dash is basically ghosting me at this point. They do not acknowledge emails anymore, to either their email box nor through the notary dash portal. I have also emailed C2C to let them know of the situation to let them rectify it, and they do not respond either. I tried calling C2C and it goes to a full voicemail box in which I can not (for obvious reasons) leave a message. This was NEVER a banking issue it is a NOTARY DASH and Coast 2 Coast Issue of not being paid. Many people through out this posting have tried to blame the bank. I will be making one last attempt to try and reach a live person through Coast 2 Coast to get payment for this completed job. If I am unsuccessful I will be giving my attorney a call and have them handle it form there. This is absolutely ridiculous that it has come to this, absolutely insane!

1 Like

I think C2C & N Dash are run by the same or close people. Your best bet is to contact the Title Co. involved.

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I contacted the title company and they have washed their hands of this. They can not help me because they paid Notary Dash for the job. I explained to her the situation and said I am not the only one who has issue with receiving payment.

1 Like

Still…am fairly certain that the TC ought to be concerned enough to have a little talk with them. It’s bad enough when an SS stiffs a notary, but totally WRONG for a TC to continue to do business with SS that they KNOW doesn’t pay the notary. Unless, of course, there’s more than meets the eye in SS/TC relationship.

2 Likes

Here is the latest and greatest to this. I was contacted personally by the President and CEO of “Notary Dash” (Jennifer Garland). She told me how she has been out of the office trying to get her mom relocated and was certain that she had sent payment to me (She did not). She texted me from her personal number and said it would most certainly be taken care of yesterday and I would receive payment YESTERDAY. Well guess what… I did not! My last message from her was to tell me that she was stuck at the airport waiting for her mom to fly in from out of state and that she would have another one of her team take care of it (IT DID NOT HAPPEN). As of an hour ago I have an attorney collecting funds. I have not had so much issue trying to get paid and what the kicker is, I am having another company that is doing the same thing to me, stringing me along on payment which is now 4 months past due (trying to still collect from a job I did back in December of 2021. That company is Prestige Notaries and can you guess who owns that company??? Jennifer Garland, the same person who is the president and CEO of Notary Dash, are we seeing a pattern here? I have worked my entire existence in customer service, Payroll and HR, it amazes me still that this still goes on. So I guess be cautious with the companies you choose to accept business from and make sure you have a plan for when you do not get paid.

1 Like

The woman I spoke to at the title company did say she was going to inform her manager of the situation. So I would hope that they wouldn’t want to continue using them as a source.

In a previous life, I worked collections for a very large co. Keep excellent records!

1 Like

Think “outside of the box” on this one. In addition to what @donaldsonnp shared in regards to writing bad checks (which is forgery in my state), there has to be “intent” to defraud someone by the issuer. “One is guilty of forgery by issuing a Bad Check if you deliver a check to another knowing that you or the person for whom you are uttering or passing the check does not have sufficient funds to cover it. Additionally, you must intend or believe that when the receiver of the check attempts to deposit the check, payment will be refused and it is in fact refused.” Back to my “box,” I believe all states have “Theft Of Service” laws, so at a minimum, they could be facing 1 criminal charge if not 2. If you call a cab, take the ride, and hop out without paying, its theft of service! Same applies here, as we provide a service. Threatening to file a criminal complaint with your local PD might get their attention, and may prove for a more favorable outcome on this one. All you need is proof of services rendered on their behalf (which you have) and breech of agreed upon payment terms (burden of proof is on Notary Dash).

I’m exhausted. And confused. As a former fraud investigator (in California ONLY) I followed the Penal Code definition for forgery which reads: Penal Code 470 PC is the California statute that defines the crime of forgery. A person commits this offense when he or she falsifies a signature or fraudulently alters certain documents.
Issuing a bad check, at least as far as I know, is NOT a forgery**. Here is the code section covering forgeries: Penal Code 476a PC makes it a crime to write or pass a bad check, knowing that there are (or will be) insufficient funds in the account. The offense can be charged as a felony if the value of the bad checks is more than $950.00. Otherwise, the offense is only a misdemeanor .
Ain’t nobody in law enforcement gonna get too sweaty over some poor notary getting stiffed on a $100 check or two. Heck, liquor stores experience worse and nobody helps them.
I’ve been in fraud investigation too long and have seen what can happen. Even BIG $$ crime often goes uninvestigated and thus, unpunished. The punk bad guys win on the small stuff.

1 Like

This happened to me in 2020. I received an apology and another check which included my bank fees. The second check was good.

I believe Notary Dash to be a company started by a person who had little knowledge of the fundamentals of money management, and who continues to make the same mistakes over and over.

I don’t work for them any longer.