Returned check from Notary Dash

Wondering if anyone has this same issue arise. I received a paper check via email from “Notary Dash” for a job I had done for a company “Coast 2 Coast Signings”. I deposited the check on Wednesday last week via Mobile deposit (I have never had a problem before). The bank deposited the check and funds were available immediately (like normal) then on Friday the monies were withdrawn from my account plus a $10 service fee from the my bank. The bank isn’t giving me a reason other than to say “returned check” and of course when I saw this it was yesterday (Saturday) the bank is closed and so is any telephone communication office.

1 Like

If you deposit the check and it was not honored the bank should be letting you know. They may give you a blanket response like. “ We are unable provide you with good clear funds at this time… please reach out to maker” Don’t quote me on this …as laws change from when I was a banker but I believe they no longer disclose the specific reasons to the recipient only to the check maker.

I have never had any issues with checks from them. I would call them directly they are pretty good to work with.

Thank you, that’s what I am thinking. I have never had a returned check from Notary Dash either, so the whole situation is weird to me. I will be going into the bank first thing tomorrow to find out what the problem was, but wanted to see if anyone else experienced this before. thanks again

IMO:
3 things possibly happened.
1: issuer placed a stop payment, your bank took back the money plus fee
2: Issuer didn’t have sufficient fund to cover the amount, your bank took back the money plus fee.
3. Issuer issued a check on closed account, your bank took back money plus fee
** Sometimes, if it it just NSF, your bank will let it go through one more time in case they have the fund to cover on the 2nd round it’s trying to clear.

You can ask your bank to show the returned check. It should show stop pay/Cancel Check, NSF, or closed acct, etc.

Remember, due to your good standing/history, or the check amount is small, your bank made that money available to you before it was officially cleared. They took a risk.

1 Like

One more thing - if not printed out properly (cut off or info missing) the check would be unacceptable to them;

No deposited money is available immediately; if it is it’s subject to recall if not collected from issuer. in fact, if you go and deposit cash in your account it’s not available for you to take back for about 24-48 hours.

1 Like

It depends on the relationship like how long you have been banking with them, your average daily balance, your account history, and how well you know the Branch manager. If they are comfortable with you, for example you can deposit 50k or more check or cash for that matter and they can make the fun available immediate on the same day. Although they have to file a CTR if 10k or more cash is passing over the counter in one business day, or if they defect any structured deposits like splitting deposits at different branch or make multiple deposits under 10k.

I will stop here: I can go on and on about funds availability scenarios and about bank policies and procedures. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

Cynthia. The same thing happened to me last week. I deposited the C2C check issued by Notary Dash on Wednesday and the bank returned it on Friday. I am waiting on the letter from the bank coming in today, to let me know the reason why it was returned. I reached out to Notary Dash and within my original order and havent heard back as of yet. I have a feeling it is a NSF.

1 Like

Hello, I just got off the phone with my bank. They do not know the exact reason for the return other than to say that the check did not clear when they contacted the financial institute that the check was drawn from. So basically there was insufficient funds to cover the amount of the check. I just sent an email to Notary Dash. I will keep you posted.

2 Likes

Also keep in mind, and @donaldsonnp may chime in on this, checks come with a “kill” date, or “void after date” (usually 90 days). Although highly unlikely this is your issue, the “void after” timeframe is usually on the check. I got caught up with this once because I sat on the check too long and it got kicked back from my bank. Remote deposit “may” not catch this right away until it hits the back end of the bank process.

@vvs.notary.services …. Yes I agree the void date is sometimes noted on the check. I migrated from Banking to Investments and whenever a client would ask us why the check was returned our clearing house would always respond to our query as… “no specific information was provided… please refer to maker”…. Maybe that was just our companies way of not getting involved in the process. I so do not miss banking. :joy:

1 Like

“I so do not miss banking.” I hear ya!!!

1 Like

Hi Cynthia, I will say that Notary Dash reimbursed me today for the bounced check and bank fee. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that this was just an oversight. I hope your issue was resolved as well!

2 Likes

Thank you for your update. I am glad to hear that your issue was resolved. I have not heard a word from them. Did you call them or send them an email, or did they reach out to you on their own? I am hopeful my issue will be resolved as speedily as yours was.

so much weirdness going on…Notary pay was hacked, they sent me at least six year end statements all different from the same company and NotaryGO uses another payment service that apparently has a history of removing pay without your permission. ughh it’s turning into an everyday ordeal.

I have a growing suspicion that more than a few of the signing services out there were opened by industry rookies who thought they could make a lot of money doing what it is signing services do. I’ll wager that many of those folks know precious little about running a business enterprise and if that’s true, it accounts for a lot of the issues we all have with them that are discussed on this forum. We all have several signing services that we really like and wish that all our loan signings would come from them. I would imagine that the rest are just feeling their way long.
Shucks, what do I know, it’s just a guess.

4 Likes

Hi Cynthia, I contacted them via email, within the order portal and also replied back to an open order sent to me,that I did not feel comfortable accepting any additional work until the matter was resolved. I was contacted late yesterday afternoon with the reimbursement. No one ever let me know why the check was returned and the notice from my bank simply says “refer to maker”. It could be an issue with Notary Pay as someone mentioned in the thread. Not really sure…

1 Like

Thank you for the information. I had only sent an email to info@notarydash.com. I just sent an email through the portal, so hopefully I will now get a response.

I also have not received payment from Notary Dash. Not sure what’s going on. I have done work for them in the past with no payment issues. I completed a few loan modifications for them in January and February. Have not been able to reach anyone on phone, left voicemail messages with no response. I’m a bit nervous based on everyone’s comments. Rejecting any future notifications from them until resolved.

1 Like

So it has been a week since this check has been returned. I have contacted notary Dash 5 times at this point. The first was by email. the other 4 times have been through the portal in which the job I did that the check was returned from. All but 1 one of the messages through the portal have had a response in which they say it has been escalated to their accounting department. On Tuesday of last week they responded that I would be contacted within 24 hours to receive payment and reimbursement for my banking fees. Yeah, that has not happened. it has been 5 days since that response and all I get is “it has been escalated to our accounting department” I am so irritated at this point. I think I am done accepting business from them.

Sorry to hear about this. I have not experienced your issue but I have been having a hard time getting paid from them within 30 days of completion of signings and I’ve done a great many of these COVID forbearances for them. I had one that finally paid, but only after repeated contact by me to them and it was 64 days passed the signing completion day. Better late than never I suppose but it’s still disconcerting to do the work and feel like you’re not getting paid for it. Hopefully there’s just some SNAFU with your bank or something and it gets worked out. It seems odd that they wouldn’t give you a reason why they did something like that and of course it stinks that it’s over the weekend so that you can’t do much about it but please keep us posted in case any of the rest of us run into this situation.