RON Via Fedex

I didn’t see this about Fedex RON posted yet. If not it may be new info for you.

3 Likes

From what I’m hearing, they’ve just ‘partnered’ with notarize.com thru FedEx website.

4 Likes

if you go to the FedEx store the advertising is all in the stores!

1 Like

No FedEx store here, so, Aceiswild2k6, how do they advertise this? Do it online from their store? Go home & do it from your PC? Is it done (as I’ve read somewhere) thru the Notarize website? If so, does FedEx also get a cut of the fee? Or is this just a way FedEx can ‘look like’ they’re offering notary service, when, in fact, they’re just referring people to ‘big tech’?

1 Like

It seems Fedex is rolling this out regionally for now. I got an email from Fedex letting me know about this new service. Its unknown if Fedex is fee sharing with Notarize and likely not to be revealed until later if at all. You know trade secrets. The fee starts at $25.00 and its unknown how much ends up in the hands of the Notary. It’s possible that Fedex is using in house Notaries. It’s also unknown if they will handle all Notary engagement of be selective as UPS is doing.

From what I understand this is primarily a ‘do it from home’ as a value added service. My gut check says this is a marketing strategy that they won’t be making a profit on, rather its a loss leader.

3 Likes

I got an email last week stating they are offering RON.

1 Like

In my previous work history I managed Notaries all over US for a large corporation out of Seattle. If FedEx is going down this road, I forecast issues because every state has different Notary laws. Unless they have a fantastic system that keeps up with every states changes would not trust this system.

2 Likes

Unfortunately you’re spot on. The average consumer seeking a notarization is unaware of this.

My understanding is that this has been in place for sometime. I am in California, we are not Ron approved however we are launching IPEN which is ‘in person electronic notarization. I wanted to leave business cards at the FedEx office and they told me I could not because they are utilizing RON, they have a kiosk in their office for that service. After doing a little bit of homework, I learned that yes they are contracted with notarize. As for fees if you look at the FED EX site, you’ll see what the consumers are being charged…:woman_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

This is been in place for some time. Fedex is simply advertising the Notarize service. If it is being advertised in a store they have a QR code the customer can scan to go online and use notarized service from the customer’s own device or at home. Through the link the specific FedEx store gets a referral fee. FedEx stores are not doing this in house because they do not have computers with cameras and speakers and there’s a privacy issue. The FedEx location can make money from scanning documents if the person does not have the ability to scan the document themselves. This is simply a way for notarized to advertise for a low cost because they are only paying out when someone clicks on the link through FedEx.

1 Like

FedEx and RON??? In California, RON hasn’t been permitted by the state legislature. It was “tabled” a few months back. Why? you might ask.

It is my prediction that before too long, notarizations will be done at a kiosk where identity authentications will be made electronically (retina scans or handprint verifications) and documents will be slipped into an ATM-like machine or other device and a remote (artificial intelligence) “notary” will perform the work that we now do in a “live” setting. There will be a uniform, one-signature-for-all signing procedure so that all the various ancillary documents currently presented will be done all at once. Fees will be reduced to almost nothing and will be collected and distributed between title-escrow-lender electronically after debiting the signers’ debit/credit card. Just tap and go. No signing services, no mobile notaries, no muss, no fuss, no mistakes. When the “signing session” is complete, the kiosk automatically transmits the appropriate documents to the intended end-points, thus eliminating FedEx and UPS costs and delays. Cyber-security routines will be in place and everything will reside in the cloud.

The so-called journaling will be captured automatically when the signer inserts their driver’s license or universal identity card (COVID passport anyone?) and the signers’ photos will be snapped by a remote camera. Copies of signed and notarized documents will be machine-certified and transmitted to the signers’ pre-designated computer or phone. No more hard copy duplication, thus saving trees, ink and time. Green New Deal thinking at work.

All the states can decide to have uniform laws, forms and procedures or not. They can virtually eliminate notary certification departments, testing of applicants, handling of renewals, taking action on problematic notaries, etc. And who will need or want RON?

Hmmm, I think I’ll build one of these kiosks in my garage and corner the market.

Does anyone see a different scenario? I’d love to see some feedback.

Setup a kiosk at the Court House?

1 Like

I heard the same. They will take away a lot of business from other RONs since they get higher Google Business rankings

1 Like

Really? You think it’s political?

The big shops will always try to overcome take innovative small business owners if they see money in the waters. For example the big box home improvement outlets have put the small business hardware stores and lumber yards out of business. On the brighter side, in the Tax business we call folks who use tax software…Future Clients.

1 Like

We don’t have a FedEx store where I live (smaller city), so it probably won’t impact me directly. My FedEx drops are either at the airport or at the desk of Office Depot and it’s doubtful they will add RON to either location since they don’t do in-person notarizations at either location.
Everyone hates the UPS store since there is always a long line and it’s bombarded with Amazon returns. If they start doing RONs, it will be a bigger CF in that store. The store currently only has 1 notary and if she is off, I often get phone calls. Also, I don’t think she is a RON.

1 Like

Wow- interesting! Is this prophecy or inside scoop? If prophecy, would you like a partner for hashing out the idea? You’ve already laid out the blueprint. We only need market research and funding! Lol!

1 Like

I just moved from Kitsap County to Pierce County. Bremerton WA area had a Pak Mail with Notary and they did not advertise for any type of updated notarization process. FedEx in Silverdale and Poulsbo also did not advertise. FedEx’s in Kitsap County are few and far between. Now I am in Bonney Lake WA and FedEx not advertising. From what I have seen of these stores are they under staffed and have no desire to have Notary services. UPS in these areas have Notaries and they don’t even take time to read State Laws and have a high turnover. Technology catch up takes a while in business even though I live in a state with techie’s all over the place.

1 Like

You have just as good a chance to RANK on Google as anyone.

It’s not so much as chance as it is SEO. The big dogs have SEO experts who can move their clients up the Google Ladder, while pushing others down. SEO is a constantly moving target which is why I hired a profession who specializes in the Tax Business. I’ve moved up just below the big dogs in Taxes.