Safe deposit boxes jobs

Hi,

I wanted reach out to anyone who has notarized at a bank for safety deposit boxes. I’ve googled but not finding out how to land jobs doing it. Any suggestions would be great. Should I just go to all the banks in my area and introduce myself? I updated my Google buiness page already.

I am in Colorado

Thanks

@Crystalclearmobilenotary => Good Question!

If you perform a Search of the Notary Cafe database, there are multiple threads already present containing informative discussions on this topic.

https://forum.notarycafe.com/search?q=%20safe%20deposit%20box

Best Wishes :swan:

1 Like

Crystal, where are you located?

Hmm. I searched before i posted and found one from 2017. But I’ll search again. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

I am located in Colorado.

Okay - which leads to my next question - are you authorized under Colorado Notarial Law to perform safe deposit box inventories. Here in FL we are specifically authorized to do this - does your law allow you to do it?

All that said, and to end the interrogation (I didn’t really mean to put you through that but it’s important to know where a poster is located) - when I was marketing, yes, I hit every bank in my county with a handful of business cards and offered my services to them for anything and everything they did not wish to handle (some banks here refused to notarize some docs, customer or non-customer) - including safe deposit box inventories (in Florida the box must be inventoried by a non-employee with a bank officer or person of authority present)…

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Hmmm, this is new to me. Prior to COVID, just about every bank had an in-house notary on staff for stuff like this. As I stated in a different post, most banks did away with notaries to limit exposure, especially considering the service was “normally” free for their customers. Definitely sounds like an additional service being requested by us as a result of COVID. It’s not clear “what” the notarial act is being requested, but outside of “witnessing” someone opening the box, or verifying contents (which is unheard of to me) as this is usually a private thing with the owner of the box, I can’t see not only what they would need a notary for, let alone it having to be notarized in the bank itself.

1 Like

Boxes get drilled open when the fee is not paid for a specific period of time - as I said previously, in Florida a bank employee (notary or not) cannot do it - it must be done by a person not employed by the bank; here in Florida notaries are specifically authorized to witness the drilling of the box and we have a cert to complete for the completion of the inventory (empty or listing all contents). Not sure what CO requires - and that’s why I initially asked where OP was from - I did look at the CO notary handbook and this duty is not specifically listed as an authorized notarial act, so you in CO may not be able to do them.

5 Likes

@Crystalclearmobilenotary Hmmm . . .

Here is the page replete with threads on your topic (previously posted above):

Check out each thread for very informative discussions.

======

When I researched this several years ago & marketed directly to my region, my results mirror the sage insights provided by @vvs.notary.services above; i.e., no need locally for this subcontracted service. As always, these things can be highly contingent upon your service region. In addition, as LindaH-FL identifies above, be certain that this is a service that is authorized for you to perform based upon your state regulations.

:swan:

P.S. Be certain to include in your post if you’ve already Searched and what you found. This is very helpful to those of us taking the time to assist you . . .

2 Likes

As a former bank manager… many many moons ago…we were not allowed to know what the client held in the boxes. I never had the need to have these services done as we were an office that served business clients only and had no boxes. But this forum is always great for learning new things.

2 Likes

I always learn something new from you… you are fabulous.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll email the SOS to make sure.

Thank you. I didn’t know that was a requirement from reading the posts before I posted but I’ll for sure add all that to all my future posts. :heart:

I saw that this was a service on the NNA website but I didn’t see how to market for that type of work and on here I just saw how much people charged. I also asked in a Facebook group but she was going to charge me for the information. So the hunt continues.

1 Like

I assume they will just do what others do, either use a SS for the request or Google “notary near me.” It’s whether or not they offer a fixed fee or not is what will make it interesting. For example, what if the locksmith is stuck in traffic and is running late?

1 Like

I have done these, but not since pre-COVID. I was contacted through a service, not directly through the bank. I don’t know how I was chosen to do this assignment. But, periodically dormant accounts that have been inactive for a while get audited. If those accounts have an associated lock box, every attempt is made to find the owner or find out their status through public records. If they are deceased the bank will try to locate any next of kin who would have privileges as beneficiary or representative. If the search does not produce a contact after a period of time, those boxes are drilled and the contents cataloged (down to paperclips and loose change). As a notary in the state of Washington, this is not listed as a specific notary task. And, you do not perform any notary tasks per se. You are to observe and witness every element of the actions taken from the opening to the closing of that box. You sign off as the unaffiliated third party at the end of the transaction(s)/day. You are paid by the hour at a very good rate (it was my experience). But, I haven’t been called to perform this for a while. Would love to do it again. Good luck to you in your search.

4 Likes

I was one of the bank officers in Colorado awhile ago, to the best of my knowledge I don’t remember letting any notaries in the bank to do anything like that. It was always two people at the bank(bank officers) witnessing. Never had an outsider but maybe things have changed now.

Please don’t quote me on this it is just a BIG BLUR NOW:(

1 Like

I’ve been told that in my state, Vermont, banks don’t call in outside notaries for this.

Some posts mentioned checking your state notary law or calling the SOS. But some notarial acts are controlled by laws in a completely different part of the law. It’s possible that the people who answer notary questions at the SOS office might not be familiar with laws that affect notaries that are not in the main notary law.

2 Likes

Thank you for the link. I don’t know how i missed those :disappointed:

1 Like

I got contracted by a company that specializes in that service for banks. We were quite a team. Box driller, two clerks and me. I got paid a grand for my time. I got hired from my 123 notary listing.

4 Likes